Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Ear Infection Help!!

SarahLynn123
December 29th, 2004, 09:19 AM
Went to the Vet last night and Belle has a yeast infection in her ear. The vet said to fill her ear up with a half white vinegar half water mixture and massage her ear, then clean it out with a cloth and q-tips, let it dry and put drops in it. Well easier said then done. It is the end of the world for her and she cries when I put the mixture in, before I even touch her! Then she quirms kicks cries, anything possible. There is 2 of us attempting to do this,(one holds her still and the other does the dirty work) and its basically impossible. Does anyone have a better way to go about doing this? She is getting so stressed out that she is shedding like crazy which is making all our allergies flare up!
Thanks

Toonces
December 29th, 2004, 09:37 AM
I have had 2 dogs that are prone to ear infections. The vet always gave me a solution to clean their ears I have never used vinegar and water maybe that is stinging her, you could call the vet and get a cleaning solution from him that maybe dosen't sting as much. the one we use smells like green apples.

One of our dogs took it very well but the other did not. I gave it to him while he was eating and distracted or I got my husband to play with him with a toy or hold a treat in his hand tight so Reilly had something else to focus on.

We also had to change their diet to someting with no yeast and now they get no infections.

good luck and give Belle a pat from me, its so hard for them and they don't understand why you are doing this to them and it is also hard on you

Carina
December 29th, 2004, 09:43 AM
This is how I did it with one of my "hated anyone messing with his ears" Rotties.
When he was laying down, especially on his side, I'd start scritching that little area right in front of the ear. Dogs seem to love that much better than behind the ears! Then either myself, with my other hand, or someone else, would gently but quickly pour - not squirt hard - the tepid mixture into his ear, keep rubbing until you get that squishy sound, and stuffing a treat in his face at the same time helped too.
If you poke at it, use cold water, or squirt too hard, it can HURT. I've had ear infections, they can be really painful! But if you make the whole thing as pleasant as possible with the ear-filling procedure just a little part of the whole deal, she should find it lots less traumatic.

raingirl
December 29th, 2004, 09:47 AM
here is a neat site I found:

http://www.marvistavet.com/html/body_yeast_infection_of_the_skin.html

Vinegar breaks down the outer body of the yeast cell allowing the medication to penetrate it. vinegar also breaks down oil (as yeast like oil) which allows less area for the yeast to live on.

Do you know what caused the yeast overgrowth in the first place? stress? allergy? food?

SarahLynn123
December 29th, 2004, 09:58 AM
I have had 2 dogs that are prone to ear infections. The vet always gave me a solution to clean their ears I have never used vinegar and water maybe that is stinging her, you could call the vet and get a cleaning solution from him that maybe dosen't sting as much. the one we use smells like green apples.

One of our dogs took it very well but the other did not. I gave it to him while he was eating and distracted or I got my husband to play with him with a toy or hold a treat in his hand tight so Reilly had something else to focus on.

We also had to change their diet to someting with no yeast and now they get no infections.

good luck and give Belle a pat from me, its so hard for them and they don't understand why you are doing this to them and it is also hard on you

I think I will swing by the vet and pick-up some, I hope that will help, she hates her ears being fiddled with! Do you have them on a certain brand of hard food? I could change her food if It will prevent me from having to do this to her again. Im sure she will appreciate it aswell.
Thanks for the suggestions!

SarahLynn123
December 29th, 2004, 10:02 AM
This is how I did it with one of my "hated anyone messing with his ears" Rotties.
When he was laying down, especially on his side, I'd start scritching that little area right in front of the ear. Dogs seem to love that much better than behind the ears! Then either myself, with my other hand, or someone else, would gently but quickly pour - not squirt hard - the tepid mixture into his ear, keep rubbing until you get that squishy sound, and stuffing a treat in his face at the same time helped too.
If you poke at it, use cold water, or squirt too hard, it can HURT. I've had ear infections, they can be really painful! But if you make the whole thing as pleasant as possible with the ear-filling procedure just a little part of the whole deal, she should find it lots less traumatic.

I definatly use warm water and be as gentle as possible. Shes OK with the massage part once I get the fluid in her ear, but how do I remove the yeast and black nasty gunk without putting a q-tip in her ear? or is it even nessesary? I think I will pick up a special treat for her that she only gets when I clean her ears, then maybe it wont be so bad for her as she has something to look forward to! Thanks for your help!

SarahLynn123
December 29th, 2004, 10:04 AM
here is a neat site I found:

http://www.marvistavet.com/html/body_yeast_infection_of_the_skin.html

Vinegar breaks down the outer body of the yeast cell allowing the medication to penetrate it. vinegar also breaks down oil (as yeast like oil) which allows less area for the yeast to live on.

Do you know what caused the yeast overgrowth in the first place? stress? allergy? food?

She is a cockerspaniel, and the vet said this breed is prone to them :(
It could be anything that caused it, Ive only had her for a few months and she was a rescue. Thanks for the site, I was wondering what the vinegar was all about!

glasslass
December 29th, 2004, 12:15 PM
Try using a cotton ball pulled around your finger to clean out the gunk, instead of a cotton swab. The cleaning solution should help loosen the gunk and it'll work its way out to the outer ear where you can reach it more easily. That massaging helps it get down in and loosen it up as well. Luba had a recipe for an ear solution this summer on a post.

sujean
December 29th, 2004, 03:22 PM
I will bestow what knowledge i have regarding ear infections upon you all and you take it for what it is worth.

We have a belgian malinois that has chronic ear infections-once ever couple of months. they are yeast infections that with proper cleaning and maintenance does not get them as badly.

we have discovered that vinegar stings the ears-especially if there is any open skin. our dog HATES it and will not let us near his ears if he smells the vinegar.

we also tried the alcohol/gentian violet solution. while that is good for cleaning the outer ear, and it DOES loosen the gunk from the inner ear, it hurts like a SOB and dog cries like crazy. plus, i have found that the alcohol in the solution dries the inner ear to the point of your skin drying and cracking in the winter (for all you cold weather folk out ther). What tends to happen is then the ear itches from the open wounds that the alcohol created. leading to head shaking and rubbing on the ground....

so then we tried a vet recommended solution-something to the effect of epi-optic. it is a solution that you pour into the dog's ear and rub it around. then clean outer ear with cotton-i would never suggest q-tips as the dog may lunge in a certain direction due to discomfort and you will have a q-tip lodged ear. not fun. this solution is to loosen the gunk and raise it to the surface. while this product effectively does that, you will soon find your walls all over your house with black ear gunk art-while gross to you, a year round treat for the dog!!

the product i have found to be the most effective is ZYMOX. i have only been able to find it online. this little jar is full of a liquid that is almost glue like. you put several drops into each ear and b/c the solution is thicker, it sinks better into the ear canal. it also loosens the solution to rise to the top. but here is the best part. when dog shakes to remove said gunk to the surface, b/c it is gooey, there is less spraying and it tends to stay on the outer ear-making it a cinch to clean out-i personally use the alcohol/gentain solution for outer ear cleaning.

i then after several days of this will use a powder solution (can't remember the name at the moment) and it dries out the rest of the ear canal and we are good to go for several months.

that's my 2 cents from a chronic ear infection family

SarahLynn123
December 29th, 2004, 04:15 PM
Do you know off hand what type of zymox it is? I had a look on the site adn there is some choices. There is the ear cleanser, or medicated rinse, and sprays and creams. Im not quite sure what Im looking for, but would like something that doesnt hurt her.
Thanks

sujean
December 29th, 2004, 04:33 PM
Do you know off hand what type of zymox it is? I had a look on the site adn there is some choices. There is the ear cleanser, or medicated rinse, and sprays and creams. Im not quite sure what Im looking for, but would like something that doesnt hurt her.
Thanks

here is where i usually buy mine: http://www.1800petmeds.com/pdetail.asp?SK=10622&SP=&WT=&MG=&PT=

i get the one with the hydrocortisone to help with the itchiness (Zymox Otic With 1.0% Hydrocortisone 1.25 Oz Bottle)

SarahLynn123
December 29th, 2004, 04:52 PM
Thanks!!!!!!!!

Carina
December 29th, 2004, 05:37 PM
how do I remove the yeast and black nasty gunk without putting a q-tip in her ear? or is it even nessesary?

I think most vets would tell you not to use a Q-tip. I get plenty of that stuff down the ear & massage like crazy. Then let the dog shake her head (do this outside!) and you will be amazed at the gunk that comes out. I just do like sujean and use a cotton swab or gauze around my finger to clean the outer part.

Dutch did get one nasty infection, and the vet prescribed an antibiotic ear ointment that was like that - sort of thick and gluey, it didn't take much. Keeping the hair trimmed around the inside of her ears might help a bit reduce the ear infections. Cockers & dogs with hairy droopy ears are more prone because the inner ear stays moist; it doesn't get naturally aired out. (Mother Nature knew what she was doing when she designed wild animals - no wild animal on the planet has drooping ears!)

....oh, and I used natural apple cider vinegar, not the regular vinegar. I've poured it on a cut on myself & it didn't sting. Mind you I have never poured it in my ear either when I've had an ear infection....maybe it's just as unpleasant!

Karin
December 29th, 2004, 06:43 PM
Ears on floppy eared dogs are a petri dish, all kinds of nasties grow in there.

I never use water. Yeast and funguses love water to breed in. Many products are available to fight a yeast infection. I use Tresaderm when needed. Sometimes a secondary infection calls for an antibiotic, most vets will Rx cephalexin (Keflex) for a bid, 2 week Tx.
We see alot of this in Labs in the south, floppy ears, can't keep them out of the water!

Only use a Q tip if you know what you are doing! Some vets will show you the safest way...saw one client once who tried a Q tip...some of the cotton tip was left in the ear canal for months, he kept using more and more..we had to sedate the poor dog and pull out alot of puss soaked cotton. This was along term treatment for this poor puppers.

Toonces
December 30th, 2004, 07:45 AM
You could try a holistic dog food like eagle pack and see if that helps but I would talk to you vet and see what he recommends .

We have 2 dogs of our own and we do fostering for a gsd rescue and its always the fosters that have the ear problems probably due to such neglect, our last guy was on drops and antibotics for 60 days to get his cleared up, they were a terrible mess.

Hope Belle is feeling a bit better

SarahLynn123
December 30th, 2004, 08:45 AM
Belle is feeling a bit better, still itching like crazy though. The vet did give me meds to put in after the cleaning, some thick syrupy gunk. She hates that as well. I see its best that i let her shake her head and cleanup what I can reach with my finger and the outside.
Thanks for all the help

chloe06
August 19th, 2006, 12:03 AM
My 5 month old yorkie has really smelly ears. IS this a sign of an ear infection? We cannot go close to her without smelling it!!! :yell: Please help us! What could it be?!

MyBirdIsEvil
August 19th, 2006, 12:10 AM
IS this a sign of an ear infection?

Yes, go to the vet.

erykah1310
August 19th, 2006, 05:37 PM
My 5 month old yorkie has really smelly ears. IS this a sign of an ear infection? We cannot go close to her without smelling it!!! Please help us! What could it be?!
That is most definately a sign of ear infections. And by the sounds of it its pretty bad, please head to the vet.

Back on topic, My kita gurl gets yeast infections alot, well thats to say she did, however it was most likely from her previous food.

amyk
September 6th, 2006, 12:17 PM
you might want to try a food like innova evo to see if that helps. and for my ear infection-prone boy i use epi-otic as a cleanser and then afterwards add a few drops of dermicare ear cleanser and leave it in. the dermicare product contains boric acid which is an anti yeast, anti fungal product.

~Amy