Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

My Dachshund died today

Dachshund
December 28th, 2004, 05:55 PM
My dog just died this morning. He was 9 years old. He was a Red Mini Dachshund. He had back problems and went down several years ago - and we thought we would have to put him to sleep then, but we got another dog and he started walking.

Rusty started drinking water like crazy, then threwing it up. When you touched his stomach he would yell. We took him to the vet and they did blood work and found his kidney level to bel high - but it wasn't too high and that he had a infection. So they gave him a antibotic shot, antibotic pills and spills and nausea. They also gave me a special diet to start him on for the kidney problem.

All last night he would just stare off into space and drink water. We were able to get one pill down him but he threw that up. All he wanted to do was drink water. I woke up this morning and found him hardly breathing and his eye shut. I walked into the kitchen and found blood all over the kitchen floor. I called the vet and took him down there, and was able to tell him how much we loved him and what a good dog he had been and he actually wagged his tail for me. Then I let them put him to sleep.

I have been crying all day, and I just can't understand what happened. It was especially hard finding him this morning then seeing all the blood coming out of his anus. I miss his soooo much and so does our other dog.

In memory of Rusty - we love you, you were a wonderful dog and such a great friend. Rest in peace you are not longer in any pain.

:(

CyberKitten
December 28th, 2004, 06:07 PM
I am so sorry for your loss. I have suffered the loss of a beloved pet too and I know it takes awhile to get over it. You need to give yourself time. You loved him very much so it's natural to be upset! (There are grief support groups now for the humans of companion pets)

I once found myself moaning about my beloved bunny to a cooleague who is a pediatric cardiologist and we both work hard every day to save little ones. And I thought at that moment that my bunny meant as much to me as do those children to their parents!

They are our furbabies!!

Take care of yourself!!! Hugs!!

mona_b
December 28th, 2004, 06:16 PM
:sorry: for your loss.I know right now it's very hard for you.And it will be.I know how you are feeling.I lost my beautiful GSD in Sept.He was 8.I am still hurting inside.But I think of all the great memories I have of him.And that puts a smile on my face.

In time it will get easier for you.Keep the memories alive.We are here for you. :grouphug:

Do you have a pic of him that you can share with us?If so,we would love to see it. :)

TobsterMom
December 28th, 2004, 06:25 PM
I'm so sorry for your loss. Losing a pet is a terrible thing to go through, they are truly a piece of you. Give yourself the time to grieve, and keep him in your heart forever. It was a blessing he did not suffer long. He is in a wonderful place now and he went there knowing how much you loved him.

God bless.

Lucky Rescue
December 28th, 2004, 06:54 PM
I'm so very sorry to hear this. :sad: I'm sure Rusty knew how much you loved him, and he will always live on in your heart!

Gazoo
December 28th, 2004, 09:47 PM
My condolences.

glasslass
December 29th, 2004, 12:52 AM
My sympathies also. :sad: We have all experienced what you are going through and understand your pain. It's especially hard when the loss is sudden and unexpected. Please take comfort in knowing you did the best you could for your beloved fur-baby and you didn't let him down at the very end. I hope you'll continue to post and share memories and experiences that help other pet lovers. That's what this forum is all about. We're here for you!

maddoxies
December 29th, 2004, 08:00 AM
:sorry:
Please accept my condolences too. You have lost a family member, whether it was 2 footed or 4. You did all you could for Rusty and he is now happy and healthy, playing at Rainbow Bridge. My Callie girl and Henri will take good care of him there. :grouphug:

Take the time to grieve and for your other dog to grieve too, please let us know how you and your other dog are doing. I have a mini doxie (as well as my golden), so I know that they may be little dogs, but their presence is much bigger than their body size, Rusty has left a big hole in your life. Fill it will loving memories of him.

Copper'sMom
December 29th, 2004, 09:40 AM
I am so very sorry for your loss. :grouphug: It is so hard to lose a best friend. I lost one two weeks ago and for me the grief has gotten worse than the day it happened. You'll be in shock, denial and then greiving will start. :grouphug:

It must have been Rusty's time to go and he knew it as well. He couldn't fight anymore and now he is at peace. Remember all of the good times you had with him and treasure them. :grouphug:

Bugsy
December 29th, 2004, 10:38 AM
I'm so very sorry for your loss :sad:

Princesss04
December 29th, 2004, 11:46 AM
I am so very sorry for your loss you are in our thoughts and prayers. Just remember he is not suffering anymore. :sad:

Schwinn
December 29th, 2004, 12:19 PM
I am so sorry. Take small consolation that when he went, he was happy. His tail was wagging, and then he went to sleep. His last moments were spent loving you.

I know that there really isn't much one can say to make you feel better, so..I'm sorry.

chico2
December 29th, 2004, 04:10 PM
I too am sorry,it is so incredibly hard to lose someone you treasured so very much,but little Rusty is at peace now,no more pain...
The Rainbow Bridge is a beautiful place,maybe he'll meet my Mishka,Tigger,Sammy,Cookie and Peppi and tell them about the wonderful life he had with you :grouphug:

twodogsandacat
December 30th, 2004, 09:34 AM
I believe that the reason dogs love us so much is that they have such short life's to do it in. I am sorry for your loss. :grouphug:

Iggette
December 31st, 2004, 06:44 PM
I am so sorry for your loss :(

Welcome to the board.....Sorry it is under such sad circumstances :love:

twinmommy
December 31st, 2004, 07:16 PM
Hi And Welcome

I am soo sorry about your loss. It is so hard to lose your best friend. This board is a great place, and their are lots of great people here to grieve with. I know how much it hurts right now, but you can put your mind at ease that Rusty's hurting is over. I wish I could say something else to make you feel better, but it will take some time. :(

Know that you are in our thoughts and prayers. :grouphug: