Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

dog house

psl_023
December 28th, 2004, 03:23 PM
my dog keeps on chewing on the outside of his dog house.....ive sprayed taht pet repellent stuff on it but it doesnt stop him.. how do i get him to stop? hes a 8month rotty

Schwinn
December 28th, 2004, 03:26 PM
Give him some chew toys, and scold him for chewing on the house. Other than that, there isn't much you can do. A lot of it is because he's a puppy. Another thing you can try is "yelping" when he starts chewing...that's how they learn not to chew on each other. Daisy chewed hers when she was younger, but not so much now.

psl_023
December 28th, 2004, 03:28 PM
how did you get daisy to stop?
or did she just stop on her own?

chico2
December 28th, 2004, 03:30 PM
First of all,I am hoping this puppy is not kept outside all the time...chewing can mean a lot of things,teething,boredom or frustration.
Puppys or I should say all dogs need interaction and play,you do not get a puppy and just leave him in a dog-house.
You did not give much info..but I am hoping he's not kept in a dog-house 24/7..we need more details.

Schwinn
December 28th, 2004, 03:37 PM
how did you get daisy to stop?
or did she just stop on her own?

She just stopped on her own. To be honest, we didn't notice until one day we went in her run and saw it was all chewed up on one side. Then, we noticed there weren't any new chew marks in it after a while. You could try buying something for your pup to chew made out of a similar material. We usually make sure she has her favourite toys in the backyard (her big stick!), and she seems to enjoy chewing that more. We've also been lucky that other than one shoe and the odd plastic dinosaur (they are now "extinct" in our house, wiped out by Daisy!), she's never really chewed anything that she wasn't supposed to.

mona_b
December 28th, 2004, 04:34 PM
I don't really think it's a teething thing.At 8 months all the adult teeth should be in.It could be a sign of boredom.I would fill a Kong with some treats.Does he get enough play time and exercise?Is he outside alone all the time?

Also(sorry Schwinn)but I would not scold him.You need to teach him not to chew.Re-direct him to a toy or Kong.When you catch him chewing,give him the command "No",then this is where you re-direct him to the toy or Kong.When he stops chewing and you give him the toy,then praise him.

Give it a try.