Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Newly adopted cat- little help, please!

L'il Frankie
December 28th, 2004, 12:22 PM
Long time reader, first time poster. My girlfriend and I just adopted a cat. Everyone tells us, "She's a Himalayan/ Siamese/ Ragdoll/ etc.". Now it's your turn to tell us what she is. Also, any tips on how to keep her fur from getting staticy when we brush her, and how do you go about getting her to use a scratching post, instead of the couch (although she sleeps on the couch all day).

Thanks!! :ca: http://www.pets.ca/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=5461&stc=1

CyberKitten
December 28th, 2004, 12:31 PM
She is without question largely (she may be a mix but there is one thing dominant) a Seal Point Himalayan kitty. There might be a little bit of Ragdoll there but not that much.

If she is on the couch all day, so not allow her to scarcth there. Put some sticky tape on the place where she scratches. And show her the scratching post - eve show her how to scratch on it. Cats really are good learners and have the best memory of most animals (too long in some caes, lol) and she should catch on quickly if you'll pardon the pun.

These cats need very regular brushing. I have a Seal Point Siamese and I brush her every day tho probably once a week would do. She is just a little diva and purrs like a Mac truck when I comb and brush her so....

There is more info here:

http://ar.essortment.com/himalayanpersi_rdrm.htm
http://www.himalayan.org/

She is a beautiful cat!

Lucky Rescue
December 28th, 2004, 12:37 PM
Wow, she is beautiful!! My best guess is Himalayan/Siamese mix..?? Her face isn't flat like a Himi, but who knows?

Scratching post - get a sisal one. If you get the carpet covered one, it makes her think it's o.k. to scratch carpets. Make sure the post is tall enough so she can stand full height and scratch it, and make sure it's ROCK solid - if it wobbles, she will never use it. If your house is big, or has more than one floor, you should have more than one post.

Rub some catnip on it, and as soon as you see her start to scratch the sofa, snap your fingers to distract her, and very gently take her to her scratch post and move her paws over it to give her the idea. You can also dangle a toy or feather near the top to encourage her. This must all be done in a very very positive, encouraging and gentle way.

Also, you should keep her nails trimmed short. Start GENTLY cutting them while she is sleeping. If you only get one or two done and she protests, stop and get the others another time. Give her a little treat of something she loves after you cut a nail or two.

When I had a long haired cat, I would rub a dryer sheet on the brush first. This kept the static down a bit.

Welcome to the board and thank you for adopting a homeless animal.:)

CyberKitten
December 28th, 2004, 02:29 PM
I think her face looks Siamese but her body looks Himalayan. There "may" be a wee bit of Ragdoll but not very much, if any. Mind you, Himalayans started as a mix of Siamese anyway - way back when!

She is a very pretty cat!

chico2
December 28th, 2004, 03:14 PM
Whatever she is,she's a dream,absolutely beautiful!!! :queen:
Li'l Frankie,maybe after a bit you will consider adopting another needy cat,two cats are always better than one :thumbs upand please don't even think of declawing :evil:

Schwinn
December 28th, 2004, 03:30 PM
I don't know much about cats, but definitely some himalayan. But I don't believe her markings are as dark as a pure himalayan.

I was going to mention dryer sheets as well, and maybe low heat instead of high... :crazy:

chico2
December 28th, 2004, 03:34 PM
Aww Scwinn,you are soooo funny,remind me of another guy we had here,Woody,always gave us a laugh :crazy:

mona_b
December 28th, 2004, 03:45 PM
She is just simply gorgeous.

I would also say Himmy/Siamese or even Persian/Siamese.

I agree with the face being Siamese.The Persians and Himalayans do have the pushed in faces.Along with the Himalayan-Persian which is also a breed.

As for the scratching,you could rub some cat nip on the scratching post.

My cat is a Medium hair,and he gets brushed every day.I noticed if I don't brush him every day,he will end up getting small matts where he has cleaned himself.

2 cats are better than one......... :D :thumbs up

glasslass
December 29th, 2004, 01:25 AM
She is a doll!!! (NOT ragdoll tho, LOL) Congrats on the new addition to your household!