Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Peeing! Make it stop!

oreokitty
December 28th, 2004, 12:37 PM
Honestly, we have tried EVERYTHING! We can't stop Kohl from peeing! There is nothing wrong with him. He even pees in his kennel... He is neutered and is 1 1/2 years old male. We have tried the belly band, scolding him..... The diapers..... What else is there? The other day he was in his kennel and he lifted his leg so it would go out of his kennel. Like what the heck! He has just enough room to turn around in there and that is it.....

Any suggestions? We have done a ton of tests at the vets..... NOTHING!

Thank you!

oreokitty
December 31st, 2004, 11:52 AM
Any suggestions?

Schwinn
December 31st, 2004, 12:03 PM
I wish I could help you on this one. Have you talked to any trainers or obedience schools? Hopefully someone here will be able to help you with your pup. Are you letting him out often enough? Whenever we first started with training a dog, we didn't wait for him to have to go out, we took him out.

Pawsnmotion
December 31st, 2004, 08:46 PM
Hey guys.

A couple questions about your guy. Where did you buy him from. A reputable breeder, backyard breeder pet shop. Also, in your opinion is he more of a dominant dog or passive dog. Perhaps we can try and help you.
Please get back on here or email me or call.

George

twinmommy
December 31st, 2004, 09:22 PM
Where are you located Oreo? We can refer you a good trainer if we know.

oreokitty
January 4th, 2005, 06:26 PM
He is from a great breeder. He is always willing to help us with Kohl or lets us call him at anytime day or night with stupid questions. He suggested using the belly band. It hasn't come in yet though...

Here is a little schedual of our days events:

6:00 am - everyone is up for work and a pee, Kohl is fed and gets one cup of water.

6:45 am - we got for a 15 min walk.... He pees......

7:00 am - he is in his kennel for the day or goes to puppy daycare...

5:30 pm - we are home.... Peed in his kennel or outside of it.... He gets 2 cups of water.

6:30ish... we go for a walk

10:00 ish - he goes out for his last pee before bed time......

I personally think he isn't getting enough water but if we give him anymore he is going to have to go pee all night. We have bell trained him to let us know when he needs to go out and he is always ringing that bell to go...

Vet says there is nothing wrong with him. Is this a training thing or is there something wrong with out dog?

Carina
January 4th, 2005, 06:53 PM
My vote - go to a different vet. Not saying there's anything wrong with yours! But very often a vet can miss something....or another may have just read a journal article on this very subject. Vets are NOT all equal, and besides they are human.
If you are not using the vet your breeder uses, maybe go there, if feasible. Maybe it's a breed thing? What breed is Kohl?

How is he at daycare? Just off the top of my head, it sounds medical rather than behavioural. I had a young Rottweiler once who did this dribbling urine thing for a while, mostly while sleeping. He checked out 100% healthy, no UTI, kidney functioning fine, etc. My vet then was an old-school country vet, and prescribed a short course of estrogen. I asked why, he said he didn't know, but he knew it worked when all else failed.
It did. :) The dog was about a year old at the time and lived a very healthy 9 more years; never had incontinence again in his life.

raingirl
January 5th, 2005, 09:24 AM
Can I clarify something? I'm in no way attacking you, just curious. Are you keeping him in the kennel from 7 AM to 5:30 PM straight? Does anyone come to let him pee during the day?

The reason I'm asking is because I have been looking for a dog for months, and been turned down several times from rescues because we (BF and I) are gone for 10 hours a day. We have been told that it is bad to have a dog alone that long, as most dogs are not able to hold it that long, and will often pee where they are, even if it is in their confined space that they won't usually pee in.

Right now I only see that he is peeing 4 or 5 times a day. I would assume that is normal? I dunno though, because I've never had a dog.

mona_b
January 5th, 2005, 09:47 AM
Has he always been like this or has it just started?

Also,what are you cleaning the kennel with?If he keeps smelling the scent of his pee,he is going to continue doing it.

Being in a kennel from 7am till 5:30pm is way to long.That's 10 1/2 hours. :(

And IMO,he is not getting enough water.Water should be accessable at all times.Giving him one cup here and 2 cups there is not enough.

What breed is he?

Miker
January 5th, 2005, 09:47 AM
I agree, we have someone who comes in once a day to let the dog out if we aren't going to be able to be home within 6-8 hours. You may want to bring physics and biology into the equation.

oreokitty
January 5th, 2005, 02:42 PM
Not to be rude back but my dog is VERY well taken care of and we have to work, that is life.... We love our house and no one knows the temperment of our dog like we do and no one could take better care of him than us.

Thank you for suggesting another vet. We will look into bringing him to see another one. He has been doing better now that we have started mixing his food with water.

raingirl
January 5th, 2005, 02:48 PM
I don't think anyone is being rude. I was just curious, because if it were me, I would be in the same situation. No one said your dog wasn't well taken care of.

And I agree about the work thing (we all have to work, and realistically, we can't always find a job near where we live). I actually got yelled at once by one rescuer who said if I ever got a dog they would report me for animal abuse if I left it alone for 10 hours while I was at work. I was rather mad at that comment as (like you said) we all have to work!

I just wanted to clarify because I have been trying to decide whether to kennel my dog while I am gone or not. Some people say yes, some say no.

mastifflover
January 5th, 2005, 03:15 PM
I agree I would check with another vet as well. But MonaB made a very valid point about what are you using to clean the kennel out that could be part of the problem he is still smelling the urine and figures it is okay. Also I work and am gone sometimes longer than 10 hours, but if he had an accident that would be my problem not his for a rescuer to tell you that she would report you is the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard. I guess she has never had to work for a living she just sat at home while her hubby brought home the bacon how 1960's.

oreokitty
January 5th, 2005, 03:21 PM
I am sorry I must have miss read....

We used that natural miracle. It was recommended by the vet. Honestly it is really weird that he does this. I wish we could leave him out of his kennel all day but... I would hate to see what my house would look and smell like. He goes to puppy daycare three out of the five days and he does it there too. He get's to drink as much as his little heart desires there. They told me that they have to take him out side every ten minutes so he isn't peeing all over the place.

I am going to check into another vet and see what they said. There is one right beside the daycare. Another opinion would be good. Maybe it is a mental thing if so poor guy.

We don't scold him anymore for doing it because honestly I don't think it is his fault anymore. I am just frustrated because the puppy peeing thing should have been done by now. He is going to be two in May..

I am sorry for reading your replies wrong. I really am thankful for all your advice.

raingirl
January 5th, 2005, 03:27 PM
I know. That's what I thought!

We might be able (now that BF has a new job..started today! Yay! :thumbs up ) to get it to 9.5 hours, but that's as low as we can go (unless our go train line decides to change their train hours). We've calculated and calculated, but nothing less than 9.5 is possible.

Last train in the morning is 7:58 AM and first train at night is 4:15 PM. For me to leave on 4:15 PM train, means I have to take a 7:08 AM train to make a 8 hour day. For BF to take 7:58 AM train, he gets the 5:45 PM train home to work his 8 hours. Sucks huh?

oreokitty
January 5th, 2005, 03:35 PM
Raingirl,

I hear you! It is just not possible to work and have a dog sometimes. If it were up to me our dog would be outside and playing freely all the time but.... With this peeing problem we can't. He already goes to puppy daycare three times a week which is $200/ month. We spend more money on our dog than some people spend on their kids! But it is worth it because he is our baby. But we can't give up our jobs just to be home with our dog. Just realistically, finacially it won't happen. We are definetly NEVER giving him up either.

He is a very pampered pooch and we love him. Plus he sleeps 10 hours a day this way the pee is contained and not all over my house. Besides that he is the best dog anyone could ask for.

mona_b
January 6th, 2005, 10:18 AM
Instead of a kennel,can you block off maybe the kitchen?

Maybe he just doesn't like the kennel?

Has he just started this recently or has been always like this?Sorry if I'm asking this question again.But I'm just curious as to when it started.This can give up a bit more to work on... :)

And what breed is he?

Also,when you did take him to the vets,what tests were done?

Also,can you hire a dog walkwalker?They are not that expensive.And plus they are licenced and bonded.

A close friend of the family has a dog walker come and walk his Afghan while he is at work.

Just a suggestion...... :)

raingirl
January 6th, 2005, 10:31 AM
Your doggy day care is only $200 per month (at three days a week)?? Wow, that's cheap! All the doggy day cares where I live are $80-$100 a day and over $400 per week! If I had doggy day care near me that cheap, I would definately use it!

oreokitty
January 6th, 2005, 12:55 PM
He only goes three times a week to puppy daycare. Definetly worth it! Our house is an open concept house so we can't block off the kitchen but a great suggestion. We did that when he was a puppy in our other house with his kennel and all that puppy training stuff.

Where do you live that it costs that much for PD? If we put him in everyday for a month I think it is $300.00. Which really is only $100.00 more but we just can't squeeze that $100.00 more out of our budget. Or I would! It is a great place and he LOVES it there! His vet is right next door if he has any problem. Not that he has ever had but...

What do you suggest I wash his kennel out with to get the smell out?

raingirl
January 6th, 2005, 01:05 PM
There are actually no doggy daycares in my city, but I was researching them in Toronto, and they (on average) are between $50 and $60 a day. I was hoping that if I got a dog, maybe he could go to daycare downtown while I was at work (but then I found out that Go trains don't allow animals...so that won't work).

oreokitty
January 6th, 2005, 05:20 PM
Holy crap that is allot of money! We couldn't do it either if it cost that much. WOW!!

The dog walking thing wouldn't work for us either.. Our dog is VERY protective of our house.... I wouldn't want him to hurt someone...

raingirl
January 6th, 2005, 05:26 PM
I considered a dog walker, but can't find any actual businesses that do it here, only kids. THere is one in my building that charges $15 for a 1 hour walk. That's about the same cost as your day care!!

kimbilly
February 4th, 2005, 03:12 PM
I send Bentley to Day care once a week (for now) and if you buy 10 days at once it works out to $24 a day. He has a great time.

Writing4Fun
February 4th, 2005, 03:25 PM
If there's nothing medically wrong with him, then I would suggest getting back to training basics. Treat him like a brand new, untrained puppy and start all over again. Has the puppy daycare given you any advice?

Also, IMHO, scolding him will not help. All it does is show him that every time you come home, you're angry with him. He doesn't know why. It'll just set up a vicious cycle - he pees, you come home, you get angry, he gets nervous and pees some more, etc... Perhaps Tenderfoot can help you with some training techniques. You might want to PM her.

Good luck!

Writing4Fun
February 4th, 2005, 03:31 PM
We have 20 month old male doberman, he is neutered and has been since he was 9 months old. We have a had a huge problem with him peeing in the house! We have had blood work done, urin work... Everything you can think of we have done vet wise. We have come to relize that he is just being a jerk! He is kennel trained but is now starting to pee in his kennel. Any suggestions why he is doing this? Last night he peed all over the house with out giving us any signals that he needed to go. Just ran around peeing!
This is from the post you put in the Training forum (you might want to delete the other post, as duplicate posts tend to complicate things).

"Just ran around peeing". Can I ask what you were doing while he was running around peeing (not to be rude, just wondering how you're dealing with this, so folks can suggest changes that might help)?

meowzart
February 4th, 2005, 06:11 PM
Did the vet actually do a urine culture - not just a urinalysis??? Important difference. Plus there is also a condition where the bladder is irritated and not infected which may be helped with medication. Going every ten minutes does not sound normal.

Even if everything is clear you might ask the vet to just TRY a course of antibiotics just in case - sometimes that can help with cats anyhow.

Is she a dominant dog?? Soiling in the crate often signifies dominance, but I agree that she is spending a long day in the crate. I would suspect she is stressed and reacting accordingly. If you could find someone to take her out mid day that may be all she needs.

Perhaps using the puppy pads in the crate might be an option if nothing else helps.

sib owner
February 4th, 2005, 08:27 PM
I,m dealing with the same thing you are right now, one of my dogs was peeing everywhere and it turned out she had a bacterial infection in her bladder, shes on antibiotics now and things are getting better no accidents in the house in two days, but maybe your vet could check for what I mentioned. Hope everything works out