Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Grumpy Old Cat Peeing on Carpet

asoiferman
December 28th, 2004, 11:06 AM
We have a 16 year old male cat (neutered) and for the past 6 years or so, he won't use a litter box. He lets me know when he wants to go outside, but sometimes he won't let me know and has been using the carpet in our bedroom as his litter box. He goes to the same spot due to the scent being there and unfortunately its right next to where my husband sleeps. We've used numerous pet odor removers and none have seemed to work. We're at our wits end with this guy. He was originally an "only cat", but 3 more cats have come into the household over the past 6 years and he's never gotten over that. What can we use to get the scent out and stop him from doing this? Thanks.

glasslass
December 28th, 2004, 11:12 AM
Did this behavior begin when the additional cats were added to the household? How many litter boxes do you have?
Oh! And WELCOME!

CyberKitten
December 28th, 2004, 11:24 AM
Usually, the first step to take is to ensure it is not a medical problem, especially given this kitty's age. Have you taken him to a vet to rule out a medical problem?

Then look at how many litter boxes you have. The rule of thumb is one litter box per cat plus one extra. If you have an elderly cat, it is sometimes helpful to have a litter box within easy reach of him.

Good luck!

oreokitty
December 28th, 2004, 12:30 PM
We found that if you use Pine Sole and vinigar and water mixture it gets out the smell.

My cat does that when he is ticked off....

asoiferman
December 28th, 2004, 01:57 PM
Yes, the behavior started with the introduction of the new cats. Its not a medical condition, just a behavioral problem. We've used Simple Solution and Nature's Miracle, and neither have been effective at getting the smell out. At this point, we're going to take the carpet up and put a litter box in the spot he's been going in. I bought some litter today that's for "Problem Litter Box Users", so maybe it'll help in some small way. Thanks for your input. :crazy:

Maxie's mom
December 28th, 2004, 06:13 PM
booger; my male cat peed under my son's bed and I couldn't get the smell out but then I tried Arm & Hammer Vaccum free spray for pet odors. It actually worked!!!!

Shaykeija
December 28th, 2004, 11:50 PM
I swear by Out. cat spray and urine remover. you can get it at walmart and it neutrilizes the scent right away. piper pees in the house once in a while and it really works.

Iggette
December 29th, 2004, 05:02 AM
I will have to check that OUT :D I wonder if it works for doggy pee