Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Spayed but in HEAT!!

kkindrick
December 27th, 2004, 03:34 PM
I have a 9 month old cat. I had her spayed last month and now she is displaying signs of being in "heat". My vet is basically telling me that she can't be in "Heat" because she was spayed. I know my cat and I know this kind of behavior. She rolls around on the ground, meows very loudly in the middle of the night, She sprays my couch and anything that is tall above her. My vet said that it could be a UTI but her urine came back normal. I know that she is in heat. The next step is to get a estrogen level test done. I don't know if I should take her back to this vet because I am afraid that they are going to lie to me about the results or refuse to do the second surgery because I feel that I shouldn't have to pay for there mistake. I wish there was something else that I can do because my kitten will have to go through another surgery and I am very concerned with her well being. What do I do?!!? Is there a type of medication that can be given to stop her from going into heat? HELP :eek: :confused:

CyberKitten
December 27th, 2004, 04:02 PM
The only research and it's just that I know of is into an immuvaccine that would prevent pregnancy in cats and research targets feral cats. But I am not a vet so there may be something out there. If I were you, I'd get a second opinion. Find a vet perhaps that specializes in cats and have her or him check your kitty.

That said, it could be psudobehaviour of she has been through heat already. Certainly males continue to hump whatever they can find on occasion, some more than others. It often depends on how young they were when they were neutered. So possibly females can have psuedo heat cycles too? I am not sure.

Jackie467
December 27th, 2004, 04:13 PM
it is possible that because she was a little older and had heat cycles before that it may take a little while for the hormones to stop. horomones can take a little while to dicapate which i guess could cause this. But i would recomend you get a second opinion just to make sure she is healthy. sorry i couldn't be of more help, I hope your kitty is o.k.

Lucky Rescue
December 27th, 2004, 07:18 PM
A cat who has had a complete ovariohysterectomy cannot be in heat.

It IS possible that some ovarian tissue remains. You can get a test for her - similiar to a pap smear - that can check for the presence of estrogen. An ultrasound would pinpoint any remaining tissue.

kkindrick
December 28th, 2004, 10:05 AM
My kitten hasn't been in heat before prior to her spay. She had her spay on Nov 16th 2004 and went into heat for the first time on Dec 10th. and is now in her second heat which started on Dec 27th. I am taking her today to get the estrogen test done and see if they can see what is going on with my little baby girl. Thank you all for your responses. I will let you know what I find out. :confused:

Lucky Rescue
December 28th, 2004, 11:40 AM
YEs, please let us know.

If they messed up and left some tissue there (or if someone was sleepwalking and left an entire ovary intact) then you should not have pay for a second surgery!

CyberKitten
December 28th, 2004, 11:56 AM
I am anxious to know the outcome of this situation too!! I hope your kitty does not need more surgery!

Karin
December 28th, 2004, 07:54 PM
I cannot even imagine this happening! A feline spay is a total removal with no mistake..both ovarys and the uterus are removed as one. Never have I seen any mistake except for sub q suturing and that is rare.

Feline spays are a no brainer, easy Sx.

Cryptorchid Sx can go afoul, if the surgeon cannot find the undescended testicle. (found usually behind a kidney)

Otherwise, never have seen a problem like this unless the cat is still with what she was born with...

TobsterMom
December 28th, 2004, 08:10 PM
I cannot even imagine this happening! A feline spay is a total removal with no mistake..both ovarys and the uterus are removed as one. Never have I seen any mistake except for sub q suturing and that is rare.

Feline spays are a no brainer, easy Sx.

Cryptorchid Sx can go afoul, if the surgeon cannot find the undescended testicle. (found usually behind a kidney)

Otherwise, never have seen a problem like this unless the cat is still with what she was born with...

I agree. Both ovaries are out first, and then uterus, I cannot honestly see it happening as both ovaries are attached to the uterus, unless they remove everything then put an ovary back in, it seems unlikely.

kkindrick
December 29th, 2004, 03:42 PM
I will definitly let you guys know what happens. I am refusing to pay for any costs to have this problem solved. HOpefully they will not give me any problems. Thanks for all your help. Keep you posted! ;)

kkindrick
January 3rd, 2005, 09:22 AM
I went to the vet to get the blood work done. I was at the vet and the vet for some reason avoided me the whole time that I was there. She had a tech take my cleo and bring her back. When I got home there was a message from her on my answering machine. I called and listened to it she said that she wanted to talk to me about cleo and that I had to pay for the test in order for them to send it out. I call back and spoke with her. She told me that there was a 50% chance that they left tissue from the spay and there was a 50% chance that she has some kind of condition that has nothing to do with her reproductive organs and its just something her body will do. I don't understand this at all because she is in heat, i know she is it isn't rocket science and I don't see how that if she doesn't have any reproductive organs how she can still go into heat. I asked how the blood test will be able to tell the difference between the two and she said that it couldn't. So by this time I was furious because basically she was telling me that my cat was going to be like this for the rest of her life and that there was nothing that they could really do and that they would do some research about some natural remedy that could help her.. Does anyone know about a condition that would cause her to have heat like symptoms even though she doesn't (isn't supposed) have reproductive organs???? I am no longer going to this vet, I have made an appointment with another vet and will just have to start all over again.

glasslass
January 3rd, 2005, 09:28 AM
Yes, I would go to another vet. If there is another problem, it'll need to be taken care of anyway. If there is tissue left from the spay, have the vet document it and keep all paperwork and expense records. Then, take it to small claims court to recover all costs over and above a normal spay. And the poor kitty is the one going through the pain and suffering! :mad:

kkindrick
January 3rd, 2005, 09:33 AM
That is the sadest part about the whole thing. I guess I am doing the right thing for her. She is absolutely miserable when she is in heat, I don't want her to be miserable or frustrated. I want her to run around and play and jump and climb and get in trouble not, spend her kitten years rolling around on the ground miserable. :sad:

Rainy
January 3rd, 2005, 10:01 AM
I would get this kitty in to see a new vet as soon as possible and I would call the original vet back and let them know ! I would also tell them that they have one angry previous client that will use all of her resources (internet) word of mouth, postings on pet shop windowsetc,etc, untill this has been resolved properly!Do not let them get away with treating you and your kitty the way they did! Especially if they botched her surgery!I would also not take my cat back to them for a respay even if they say that is the only thing they are willing to do.Your trust is probably at 0% with them and understandably so.
FYI A coworker had the same thing happen to her.The new vet spayed her cat ASAP and made copies of her detailed findings so she could take back to the original vet. Human error can happen know matter what the profession but to try to pass blame/or sweep it under the rug is unacceptable! At your new vet ask tons of questions and have a pen and paper handy so when you call back the previous vet you sound knowledgable and informed,calm and angry!That is one combination they should not want to mess with.Good luck toyou and your little kitty.

Karin
January 3rd, 2005, 09:41 PM
You are due your cat's records from this vet, you paid for them. Get a new vet...sounds like some back shuffle is going on. There is no way after a cat spay she can go into heat again. Even by some stupidity of the vet, a ovary is left in..(that would be remarkable!).. it would become atrophied. Until then it could still produce hormones. If this is the case, run fast to a new vet now & report this..

kkindrick
January 11th, 2005, 11:07 AM
Hello, I wanted to give you an update on Cleo. I recieved the blood test results back from the vet who preformed her surgery. They found that she has high levels of estrogen in her blood, which meant that there WAS ovarian tissue left in her body after the spay. They told me that I didnt' have to pay for the blood test and that I could either bring Cleo back to them to preform the exploratory surgery to remove the left tissue without charge, or I could take her to another vet of my choice to have them preform the surgery and that they would cover all costs of the surgery from the other vet. I am happy that this is going to be taken care of but at the same time I wish she didn't have to go through another surgery. I guess I am doing her a favor and that she will be much healthier. Thank you all for all of your comments. Does anyone know how to attach pictures, I would like to show you my baby. Thanks!! ;)

Rainy
January 11th, 2005, 11:15 AM
I am so happy the vet is acting responsibly! Yayyyyy.Your kitty will be in great shape soon!Can't wait to see pics of her. :)

badger
January 11th, 2005, 11:33 AM
I agree her vet is doing the right thing but wow, how difficult can it be to screw up when you've probably performed the same procedure hundreds of times. I'd still think about getting another vet.

Paws

There is definitely difficulty around this question. I went to a different vet for several neuterings because they were affiliated with the Bond Foundation, which reduces the cost; and I still feel a bit guilty that I didn't give that business to my own vet (who once gave me a free appointment when I was worrying over nothing). Obviously it's the attachment we feel for our animals that skews the relationship a bit. But if my vet made a surgical mistake, I might not leave him but I would want a full explanation of how such a thing could happen.

Lucky Rescue
January 11th, 2005, 11:34 AM
I"m sorry this cat has to undergo another surgery, but glad the issue has been resolved!!

To attach a pic, scroll down past your message box to the button that says

"Manage Attachements"

Click on that and the new box that opens will have a blank window with "Browse" next to it. Click BROWSE, and find your pic wherever it's stored and click UPLOAD.

AFter it's loaded, click "Close this window" and your pic will appear.:)

kkindrick
January 11th, 2005, 02:06 PM
Here she is. She is playing and posing in this pic.

Rainy
January 11th, 2005, 02:41 PM
LMAO! Great pic :D Your baby is a cutie patootie :thumbs up

kkindrick
January 17th, 2005, 12:40 PM
Just to give everyone an update on Cleo, She had the surger last Wednesday and as of last night, she is back to her old self again. She is running and jumping and acting crazy again. Thank god. I am so happy that all this is done and out of the way. :thumbs up

CyberKitten
January 17th, 2005, 01:10 PM
I am happy that all's well that end's well if I dare quote the bard! Love the picture!

glasslass
January 17th, 2005, 01:34 PM
Cute picture! She looks like quite the little acrobat! Glad she's going to be herself again!

LL1
January 17th, 2005, 01:53 PM
Poor kitty - glad she's better now. Exact same thing happened with a dog my friend adopted from a rescue.

It IS possible that some ovarian tissue remains. You can get a test for her - similiar to a pap smear - that can check for the presence of estrogen. An ultrasound would pinpoint any remaining tissue.