Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Broken bleeding toenails

Rottimom
December 27th, 2004, 11:46 AM
Herc likes to scratch and dig thorugh the snow and ice. He has broken two of his nails and they are bleeding. Is there anything I can do, or should I just leave them until they grow back in, then trim them? (They're a little jagged) He is of course licking the blood off, and he is letting me touch and examine them, so I know he is not in tremendous pain. I have trimmed the rest of them so hopefully he doesn't do this again.

I guess this is similar to when a dogs nails are trimmed too short, and I'm not sure how to treat it (if at all) :confused:

LavenderRott
December 27th, 2004, 11:58 AM
I would trim off any jagged edges and then just kind of keep an eye on them.

Rottimom
December 28th, 2004, 12:15 PM
Well he's at it again. The paw doesn't seem to be bothering him at all but he's got it bleeding again. There must be something really fabulous buried underneath that snow. I watch him like a hawk and called him in as soon as he started to dig but the damage was done. It appears to be bleeding from underneath the nail.

My Mom bought me a pair of rottweiler socks for Christmas. I am starting to think that HE should wear them, lol. HAH! like THAT would last for more than 2 seconds.

SarahLynn123
December 29th, 2004, 04:24 PM
you can pick up I think its called blood stop from any pet store, and its a powder that you put on the nail and it will clot the blood and stop it from getting infected.

Rottimom
December 29th, 2004, 06:53 PM
Thank you both for the replies. :) Keeping an eye on it, seems to be healing