Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Too Cold - Going inside

tiernan
December 26th, 2004, 05:37 PM
Does anyone have any hints on how to get a small dog used to dog boots, so she won't chew them off?

Have a great day!

Lucky Rescue
December 27th, 2004, 10:55 AM
I can tell you how I got my dog used to boots.

I got both of us right near the door, then completely dressed myself up first and then put her coat and leash on.

The very last thing I did was to get all her boots on and then immediately went out the door, so she had no time to fuss or get distressed. She still doesn't like having her boots put on, but she knows that means a walk!

tiernan
December 27th, 2004, 03:54 PM
Thanks for the hint. The first set I got her she chewed off, but I don't think they stayed on very well anyway. I may try another type of dog boot (brand) and see if that works.

I have a small Bichon, anyone know a great brand for small dogs?

:)

Lucky Rescue
December 27th, 2004, 09:09 PM
Go to www.muttluks.com

They have great boots!

db7
December 28th, 2004, 09:26 PM
I've used the walk reward a lot to teach new habits/vocabulary it's a powerful tool.
No dessert till you eat your meat! Mind you, i guess that's not a perfect analogy. Never met a pooch that wouldn't eat his meat.

tiernan
December 29th, 2004, 07:05 PM
Well, the initial problem (or opportunity :) ) was that it was too cold outside and she didn't want to go out to do her business.

Well, it seems that some careful attention and positive reinforcement has done the trick. (for potty anyhow)

She won't walk anywhere when it is cold, but I think we will order her a pair of fleece lined Muttlucks and hope that she will leave them on and do a couple turns around the block!!

Looking forward to the spring and more walking!! :cool: