- Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 


Can anyone help

December 26th, 2004, 02:45 PM
Hello.I need help with diagnosing our dog.Boby is just about 3 years old.Last summer we
noticed that his left eye was starting to swell and droop.Also his left nose nostrel was
starting to close.He also started to get some lumps on his rump(again on the left side).
Last of all his penis swelled up and he had a few small lumps around the area.We took him to the vet,and he was put on steroids and antihistamines .This worked,but when the medication was finished,the symptoms all came back.Another round of steroids ensued only this time,with less steroids and more antihistamines.Once again,once we stop he
gets the symptoms again.We can not continue with these steroids much longer, as they
are not good on a prolonged basis.The vet says that the other thing to do would be to have
blood tests done for alergies.This will be very expensive,but we will have to do this,as
nothing else seems to cure or diagnose the problem.Before we go this route,I would like
to see if your organization or anyone of you vets or anyone has ever encountered this
type of condition in a dog.He is very dear to us and we will do whatever it takes to cure
him.As far as being active, he is fine when he is taken for his walks and runs.
Please,if someone knows anything about the above,please contact me with any information
that you may have.



December 26th, 2004, 03:41 PM
Prolonged swelling isn't good for the tissue under the skin. If you're unsure if this vet is giving the best course of action, seek advice from another vet.

December 26th, 2004, 03:50 PM
I would have to agree,something is not right here,another vets opinion is important!

December 26th, 2004, 04:36 PM
I know of this problem in a horse. The resulting diagnosis in the horse was that he required his nasal cavity to have a procedure to try to drain the sinus cavity as the swelling lifted the facial bones on his one side. He requires flushing and I'm afraid that as the body so wants to heal itself he required a second procedure. It has not been successful. I am not sure where you live but if you are anywhere near a veterinary hospital, such as the one in Guelph, they tend to have the best knowledge. Other horses have had success with prolonged use of medication then a slow tapering off. I wish you success with your canine friend. Second and third opinions never hurt anyone and are a valuable tool to decide the best way to proceed.

December 26th, 2004, 04:44 PM
By all means get another opinion! ...And have the bloodwork done to find out what allergens could be involved. The blood test does take time before the results are in.