Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Cat poisoned by Xmas tree?

Chris65
December 24th, 2004, 07:06 PM
Hello; We noticed that our 14yo cat decided to munch on our artificial Christmas tree as if it were grass. This was two days ago and now he will occasionally vomit very small (less than a teaspoon) puddles. The vomit is milky looking with no food or any other substance in it. His appatite has decreased from what it normally is in regards to dry food, but he still woofs down his treats and soft cat food (also given normally as the odd treat).

Although we are taking him to the vet on the 27th when they reopen, is there anything I can do now for the old fella? He does not seem to be using the litter box as much as normal either, so I am starting to wonder if he injested tinsle that has block up his stomach.

glasslass
December 24th, 2004, 08:00 PM
Poor kitty! It's very possible! Artificial trees and tinsel aren't meant to be eaten. Is there an emergency vet you can go to? If you call your vet's number, there may be an emergency # given by an answering machine or something. Please let us know how this turns out.

Chris65
January 5th, 2005, 09:04 PM
Well we took Mr. Winston to the vet and they admitted him for three days. They finally had to gas him and put a scope down his throat after all the blood tests and xrays came out negative. The scope revealed an irritated throat and stomach and a bit of swelling in his intestines. They still don't know the exact cause, but eating the Xmas tree seems as likely as any.

Mr Winston is currently on antibiotics and the cat form of gravol. He still doesn't eat very much but he does drink and is very active and seems to be quite happy.

He has vomited twice more since we got to bring him home on Dec 30. We are going back to the vet tomorrow for another checkup. I hope he starts eating more soon as he has lost about two pounds now. Luckily he had the two to loose anyway (he was 15lbs).

twinmommy
January 5th, 2005, 09:15 PM
poor kitty!! Please keep us updated on Mr Winston (love the name, btw) :cool:

Hope everything is o.k.