Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Candles and dogs

pitbulliest
December 24th, 2004, 06:01 PM
Quick question before my guests arrive for evening dinner...lol
Is it ok to light candles (scented or non) when pets like dogs and cats are around? I know its NOT ok with certain pet birds...but I mean specifically dogs and cats?

Thanks guys.

Sadie's Mom
December 24th, 2004, 06:04 PM
Oh geez, I do this. You guys honestly think of everything. I feel like such a bad pet mommy when I come here sometimes because I don't even think of these things ;) . I seriously hope it's ok. We light candles when Sadie is around (obviously out of her reach).

glasslass
December 24th, 2004, 07:08 PM
I burn candles too, but usually tealights and votives that are enclosed. Watch for those wagging tails and fluffy ears! They had a segment on "Funniest Animal Videos" that showed a cat's tail catching on fire as it walked across a piano. Thankfully the owners were right there and stopped the video right away! I hope to heck that wasn't staged! I don't see how it could have been though. Who would have thought a cat would walk that close to it. I can't even remember why they were filming in the first place!

BMDLuver
December 24th, 2004, 07:27 PM
One of our cats had his whiskers singed a few years ago as the candle flicker got the better of him and he sniffed it. Needless to say, he kept very far away from them after that.

lilith_rizel
December 24th, 2004, 07:31 PM
James and I always have candles and insense all the time. We just put them in the middle of the dinning room table, where Cano can't bump them. As long as the pets stay away from them, I don't see why it would be bad.