Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

They fight like cats and dogs.

Daisy's Owner
December 24th, 2004, 06:07 AM
Maybe because they are a cat and a dog. Daisy, the dog, and Bubbles, the cat, play alot. I am sure that if one has had enough they would just get out of reach of the other. Right? It's about 75 to 25 that Daisy starts it.

Is there such a thing as too much play? Should I be concerned about this?

We don't rough house with either of them. So they only rough house with each other. But isn't rough housing bad?

Eventually Daisy is going to be a strapping young miss, who could take on the world if we were to let her. My concern is that once she gets bigger, she may not know the difference between a nibble and a bite.

So, if I have to stop them from playing, how do I accomplish this. I got in the middle of it last night and Bubbles got me but good.

How do we all co-habitate?

Toonces
December 24th, 2004, 06:35 AM
We have a 9 month old kitten who loves to play with our foster gsd (she is his only furry friend as our 2 female dogs won't play with him because he is to rough) Usually she starts it and she has neve gotton hurt but we are always there to supervise, if things get to out of hand our 14 yr old cat steps in and smacks everyone, its quite the site.

She was spayed a few weeks ago and had to wear a cone because of her stiches and he thought it was a toy and put bite marks in it so there was no play for a few weeks until she recovered but now they are making up for lost time.

Usually when they have had enough they go to seperate corners and have a nap but if I want them to stop I use a squit bottle or shake can and this works well.

Daisy's Owner
December 24th, 2004, 06:58 AM
, if things get to out of hand our 14 yr old cat steps in and smacks everyone, its quite the site.

HA! I can well imagine the site. Funny.

BMDLuver
December 24th, 2004, 08:03 AM
Our old cat and dog used to spend hours wrestling in the living room. The dog would walk around with the cat attached to her neck. They loved it and when one had had enough they would break away like in a boxing match. No one ever got hurt and the dog weighed in at 95lbs. Seems they somehow know to not get too crazy with a cat.

Little Angels
December 24th, 2004, 08:05 AM
My dogs and cats play constantly. Sometimes I have to tell them that enough is enough. Even then they don't listen :)

As long as no one is getting hurt, it is great that they enjoy playing together

glasslass
December 24th, 2004, 09:09 AM
T'Grrr and Den-Den were inseparable. I would worry that Den-Den was being too rough because T'Grrr would sound like he was being killed. I'd pick him up and tell Den-Den to go easy. When I put him back down, he'd launch himself at Den-Den's head and they'd be rolling around again. I finally realized Den-Den only mouthed him and would never hurt him. He seemed to recognize the differences in T'Grrr's growls and cries and adjusted himself accordingly.

Toonces
December 24th, 2004, 11:19 AM
What an adorable pic! :)

lilith_rizel
December 24th, 2004, 07:40 PM
Well, I had a 200 pound Great Dane who would always play with a little white kitten we had. Our kitty Brinn, had a litter of kittens once, and by the time the white kitten was 4 weeks old, he had already become buddies with Sampson. It was rather crazy, being that Sampson HATED cats, with a passion, but he fell in love with that kitten. I think the the kitten kicked Sampson's butt more often than Sampson kicked his. We would always walk into the living room to see the kitten hanging from Sampson's lips, and he'd just sit there like everything was perfectly normal!

CyberKitten
December 24th, 2004, 08:41 PM
In another lifetime ago - when I shared my life with a kitty, a bunny AND a beagle, here are two out of three. I have one with the three together but it is archived somewhere!! The kitty was Tasha, the kitty who was rescued by my brother (She had been hit by a car and even a police officer drove by!!!!). Tasha was always afraid of strange people (ie anyone but her immediate family and her beagle brother was very protective) and she never got over it. She was half Siamese - flame point - though in the circles of power in the cat world (aka as the Cat Fanciers Clubs et al), flame point Siamese are not always regarded as "true" Siamese. (As opposed the other to blue points, chocolate points, lilac points, lynx points and the "original" Seal Points like my Yin Yin tho Yin Yin is a classic Wedgie girl as opposed to the traditional Applehead - it is SUCH a whole subculture!

I have found myself singing a new version of a song I dislike but that has an enduring tune - I'm a Barbie girl in a whatever world - only my verse is "I'm a Wedgie girl in a Meezer world" Thankfully, no other verses have come to mind, lol

Merry Christmas from Yin Yin and I!

Daisy's Owner
December 27th, 2004, 06:17 PM
Thanks everyone. Cute pics too. Daisy and Bubbles are certainly not best friends, but I will try and contain my concern. If they start snarling with fur flying, I will worry about it then.

Christmas Eve, we had Daisy to a family gathering that included 3 cats and a German Sheppard, and everyone was so well behaved. There was lots of running and playing, but it made me feel much better.

Plus the GS owner has been around dogs all his life, and he was very impressed/happy with the way Daisy is progressing. So that makes me happy.

Daisy starts puppy classes next week, and we are looking forward to that. Sheesh, it seemed like it would never get here, that our poor puppy would be ruined, by waiting so long.

I'm such a neurotic puppy owner. :rolleyes:

BMDLuver
December 27th, 2004, 07:54 PM
Lol at neurotic puppy owner. It's a good thing to worry, more people should. All will work itself out. Enjoy puppy class, you get to brag about how smart she is!