Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

dog sitting, may adopt

raingirl
December 23rd, 2004, 10:53 AM
OK..I wasn't actively looking for a dog (but I sometimes check petharbor and petfinder just in case).

I don't want to jinx it, but I inquired about a dog and was advised the foster needed someone to look after if for a few days over christmas. I offered and we are working out the details. I also advised that if I like the dog, and things are working out, I would consider adopting him.

It's actually perfect timing because BF is off until January 5th, which leaves lots of time for settling in and such...

Things are happening so fast...I'm kinda freaking out (in a good way)

:D

whinnie-boo
December 23rd, 2004, 10:58 AM
Best of Luck with your visitor (possibly forever visitor) the hardest part of "Borrowing/Babysitting" is when its time to give them back, you rarely want to. Even things less desirable in thier behaviour start to grow on you.
Hopefully, he does.....Have fun :p

whinnie-boo
December 23rd, 2004, 10:59 AM
What breed is the doggy?

mastifflover
December 23rd, 2004, 10:59 AM
Good luck raingirl keep us posted

raingirl
December 23rd, 2004, 11:29 AM
He's a mastiff, possibly english or a mix. I know mastiff's aren't the best "first dog" dogs, but BF and i have read a ton about the mastiffs and have decided we want a dog in that family. (I will also need to re-read dogs for dummies tonight as a refresher). He's aparently good natured and well behaved. House trained and knows basic commands. He aparently does well with the foster's dogs and other animals. Easy going (which is what we needed).

I will be discussing more details later to see if it will work out.

He will be our unexpected christmas visitor!

whinnie-boo
December 23rd, 2004, 11:38 AM
Sounds wonderful. Your first dog is going to be an experience, but don't let his breed or what some may say, discourage you.
Raised properly, he can be anything you want him to.

I'm so happy for you, and the pitter pattter of quite big feet running around your house on Christmas Day. Whether it works out for adoption or not, this will be a Christmas you never forget.

Congrats again!!

TobsterMom
December 23rd, 2004, 11:42 AM
Congrats! By reading some of your posts, I think you'll be fine with any breed. You sound responsible and dedicated to learning about dogs, so why not? Good luck and I hope things work out. you sound like you're going to make a great dog owner!

raingirl
December 23rd, 2004, 12:10 PM
Any suggestions for dog proofing? We will be home all the time, so we can watch him, but with all the christmas stuff around I'm a little worried.

Also, we have plans tomorrow night and on the 28th for dinner, at some relatives houses, would it be completely inappropriate to ask to bring the dog along? Or should we leave him alone for a few hours to get used to our place?

mastifflover
December 23rd, 2004, 12:14 PM
Raingirl they are a little stubborn but if you have any questions I am pming you my phone number because I am out of here in like 10 minutes and not online at home. So no matter how stupid you think your question is I dont care call me I want this to be a good experience for you and the new baby. I can give you a few tips it will take a few day usually for them to warm up to you and they can give you the mean look dont be fooled they are big babies. They do sleep a lot and just make sure you give him or her space and they will warm up to you. I find talking to them in a really calm and soothing voice will help to make them more comfortable. Good luck and remember any question at all call me

Dukieboy
December 23rd, 2004, 12:17 PM
Congrats, hope everything works out. I think Mastiffs are great doggies. All I have met have been gentle bears.
About proofing: We didn't get a tree this year because we have Duke. I could just see him sitting in front of it thinking "ah, where to start" The rule is in my house if you want to have it when you return, best to put it out of reach. Dukes a chewer, getting better but still a chewer.
Why don't you try leaving him for 15 minutes every now and again first to see how he does? Leave him with a Kong stuffed with frz wet dog food, that'll keep him busy.

Good luck, have fun....

maddoxies
December 23rd, 2004, 12:19 PM
The best way to puppyproof is to get down on the floor on all fours and have a "doggie eye" view of the place. It is amazing how much "fun" stuff you can see from that angle. Also, how easy are your kitchen cupboard doors to open? I had a foster who was Houndini. BF will have to be sure to leave the toilet seat down lol. Shoes are an obvious target. When puppy proofing do dont forget to include their height if standing on back legs. (I forgot that one, proofed for a 6" tall doxie, forgot he was 12" long)

As for the visiting, see what his temperment is like. Remember he has come from his home, to the foster, to you. That has got to be confusing. All these new dogs wanting to be his "alpha", change in scene and routine. See if he is social, or would rather be quiet. Are the people you are visiting really doggie people. Maybe block him into kitchen or other "safe" place. Don't forget something to play with/chew for amusement.

Enjoy your holiday with him

mastifflover
December 23rd, 2004, 12:19 PM
Remember no food on counters these dogs can counter surf like nobodys business and they dont even have to do anything but lift there heads up. So think about putting things higher than you normally would.
Also get out your crummby towel you will be experiencing drool and as soon as they drink they come to rub it on your leg I get bud to come over and put his face on the towel.

Lucky Rescue
December 23rd, 2004, 12:36 PM
Bringing a new dog home and then leaving him for hours may not be the best idea. Because the house is strange to him and he is not "home", he may panic alone.

If you must leave him, confine him to one room with a radio playing so he won't be overwhelmed.

Good luck and let us know how it goes!!!!

raingirl
December 24th, 2004, 09:21 AM
turns out the foster found someone closer to home to watch the dog. I don't blame her given how bad the weather is and she was going to drop him to me from Niagara.

Oh well..would have been fun, but at least there is still christmas to look forward to.

:)

whinnie-boo
December 24th, 2004, 09:28 AM
Oh raingirl, thats too bad.

But, I'll make you a deal. Give me a call when you need some cuddle time, and you can always share my Whin & Boo, no gives better lovin' then my girls.

Your dog is out there somewhere, and when you find him, you'll know.

Merry Christmas to you and yours.....best wishes for the new year.

Dukieboy
December 24th, 2004, 09:29 AM
sorry Raingirl. Better luck next time. And yeeessss, christmas is almost here!!!! I only have to work till 1pm today and then its officially, Christmas Eve!!!! Took Duke out in the crunchy snow this am, he loved it!!!