Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Sick Dog??

dawn20
December 22nd, 2004, 10:31 PM
My Dachshund is about three years old. He normally does not lay around in one spot, he has never been much to "play", and not very hyper, & usually moves from spot to spot, he is very huffy, and likes his space. The past two days he has stayed in the same positions for longer than her ever does, and is very clingy. His breathing is very rapid. He does not really sneeze, but acts like he is blowing air out of his nose. There is no discharge from eyes or nose, and he does not cough, gag, or vomit. He still has a great appetite, his gums are the same color as usual, and as far as I can tell has the same urine & feces as normal. The only other symptom he has is bad gas. I love him dearly but I can not afford to jump the gun & run up an expensive vet bill for nothing. I am very worried. I became unemployed this summer for a while & am just getting back on my feet, a vet bill might just put me under. Can anyone offer some advise?

Dawn

Karin
December 23rd, 2004, 06:46 AM
He needs to see a vet.

glasslass
December 23rd, 2004, 10:23 AM
I understand that financially, things are tight. However, most situations are cheaper to treat if done early, than waiting for it to worsen into an emergency. Will your vet take payments or can you use a credit card? Don't let it wait til Christmas, an available vet may be hard to find.

mastifflover
December 23rd, 2004, 11:29 AM
I agree take him in to the vet if you speak with your vet and explain your situation and make sure to mention its christmas he might work a payment plan for you. My vet does this. Also is you have to get him to a vet during the holidays the emerg. clinics charge around 125. just to look at the dog over double the normal price and will not look at the dog if you cant pay. I hate these clinics they are more concerned about the money then your pet.

Trinitie
December 23rd, 2004, 12:20 PM
The only way you're going to get to the bottom of your pup's uncharacteristic behaviour, is to bring him to a vet. If it's nothing, you'll have paid the vet (usually) a nominal fee to find out your pup is healthy. If there is something wrong, you'll be nipping it in the bud before it becomes a bigger problem.

Dachs are known to have problems with thier backs. Seeing a vet will rule out this as the souce of his lathargy and gas.

Hopefully it all comes back as him just being a little under the weather or not liking his food as well as he should. Actually, this could explain the gas and breathing problems. It's possible he's become allergic, which can happen. Perhaps one of the other members will have a hypo-allergetic food to suggest.

Good luck and keep us posted on his progress.

dawn20
December 28th, 2004, 08:15 PM
Well I took the advice, took the dog to the vet, and here I am $200 out of pocket & he is still not well. They put him on antibiotics & anti-vomiting (which he had not thrown up at all). Basically they did not know what was wrong, said this was the least expensive thing to do & see if it works. His symptoms are so few at this point they would have to know what test to run. A simple basic blood work up is another $200, add heartworm test and any x-rays & this could get worse, this is before treatment. I think Vets get us between a rock and a hard place because we love our pets. The fees are unbelievable. If I only knew more symptoms so they could narrow down the test to run. Any clues??? He is more active than a few days ago, has a great appetite, but still is breathing very very fast. Quick shallow breaths. Acts like he is cold. Thats it.

mona_b
December 28th, 2004, 08:29 PM
Unfortunately test need to be done to pinpoint what's wrong.Just like with us humans.I know if my doc is not sure,he will have tests done.Just like vets.Unfortunately your dog should have the tests done.I know financially you are strapped,but can you borrow the money for now?These test could give the vet an idea of what is wrong.

Karin
December 28th, 2004, 10:16 PM
Well I took the advice, took the dog to the vet, and here I am $200 out of pocket & he is still not well. They put him on antibiotics & anti-vomiting (which he had not thrown up at all). Basically they did not know what was wrong, said this was the least expensive thing to do & see if it works. His symptoms are so few at this point they would have to know what test to run. A simple basic blood work up is another $200, add heartworm test and any x-rays & this could get worse, this is before treatment. I think Vets get us between a rock and a hard place because we love our pets. The fees are unbelievable. If I only knew more symptoms so they could narrow down the test to run. Any clues??? He is more active than a few days ago, has a great appetite, but still is breathing very very fast. Quick shallow breaths. Acts like he is cold. Thats it.

$200 is cheap! Sounds like you gave them a limit., "least expensive thing to do.". You should be more involved in his care..asking questions like you do here, address these questions to your vet! Blood work is a must in my book, and do not get me started with a simple heartworm test!
And what can get worse?

On second thought, don't answer that.

Ugh!

CyberKitten
December 28th, 2004, 10:29 PM
I realize you have financial difficulties but the absolute only way anyone will know what's wrong is to run tests? Were none done during the first vet visit??
Bloodwork for sure would give you some indication of anything abnormal - at least a good indication of his electrolytes and CBC to check to see if they are normal. And diagnostic imaging (which we used to call Xrays but now every hospital has a diagnostic imaging department - much more techie too - with scans and MRIs and so forth) would let the vet and you know if any bones are broken. A scan would be even better but also even costlier.

"Quck shallow breaths" could be so many many things. It is probably something not serious but difficulty breathing can point to pulmonary or cardiac problems and needless to say, one does not require an MD to figure that out.

It's most characteristic of a panic disorder so maybe the dog is friegtening of something? It could be an allergy. Shallow breathing could indicate some toxin - or again something in your home or that he is eating that is causing chronic toxicity to the dog.

So, you really will not uncover the cause unless you have lab work at the very least!!

Do you live near a vet school? They sometimes have clinics for low income earners and might be able to treat your dog at a lower cost.

There is an organization imom.org that helps people who have pets in need and they can't afford to pay the bills. But they need a diagnosis first and they expect the pet's companion to pay what s/he can afford.

I wish I could help more but only leb results would let us know what's wrong. Good luck!!!

dawn20
December 28th, 2004, 10:43 PM
KARIN....Where I live $200 is a lot for just a bottle of pills. And you know nothing of my situation at all. I have three children I raise by myself, and in case you did not see the post that started this thread, I just recently came off a temporary job lay off. I think my human children (who have been back in forth to the doctor several times BTW), come first. I had the dog long before I ever had financial woes. I have to provide food & shelter for my children, and that is the way it is here in the real world! I have talked to my vet, I have asked these questions & he has no answers for those questions. I thought by my post (get advise NOT ATTACKED), that I might possibly find someone else who had a dog with the ONE main symptom that might shed light & YES do blood work but have it more narrowed down as to what test to run and which not to so that I don't loose my home in the process & I am telling you it is not that far off the mark for someone in my shoes. But as I can tell by your post you have no HUMAN compassion. I love my dog and I love my kids, hmmmmmm... decisions. Obviously you are more blessed than we are.

dawn20
December 28th, 2004, 10:49 PM
I realize you have financial difficulties but the absolute only way anyone will know what's wrong is to run tests? Were none done during the first vet visit??
Bloodwork for sure would give you some indication of anything abnormal - at least a good indication of his electrolytes and CBC to check to see if they are normal. And diagnostic imaging (which we used to call Xrays but now every hospital has a diagnostic imaging department - much more techie too - with scans and MRIs and so forth) would let the vet and you know if any bones are broken. A scan would be even better but also even costlier.

"Quck shallow breaths" could be so many many things. It is probably something not serious but difficulty breathing can point to pulmonary or cardiac problems and needless to say, one does not require an MD to figure that out.

It's most characteristic of a panic disorder so maybe the dog is friegtening of something? It could be an allergy. Shallow breathing could indicate some toxin - or again something in your home or that he is eating that is causing chronic toxicity to the dog.

So, you really will not uncover the cause unless you have lab work at the very least!!

Do you live near a vet school? They sometimes have clinics for low income earners and might be able to treat your dog at a lower cost.

There is an organization imom.org that helps people who have pets in need and they can't afford to pay the bills. But they need a diagnosis first and they expect the pet's companion to pay what s/he can afford.

I wish I could help more but only leb results would let us know what's wrong. Good luck!!!

Thank You so much CyberKitten for your advise. I will look in the phone book for vet schools. My dog had another apt Friday & I will get the preliminary labs, but I am thinking about finding a new vet altogether. This one seemed to not be an animal lover. There was another lady in the waiting room who said the same thing about him. Maybe I'll just go back to square one with a new vet. I'll post next week when I know more.

Carina
December 29th, 2004, 04:44 AM
You could also call your local Humane Society & ask about low cost/good vets, if there isn't a vet school near enough to you.
There can be quite a bit of variability in vet costs. My vet (who is very good) charges me US$36.00 for a CBC (complete blood count) PLUS the annual HW test, because he does both at the same draw.
Wishing you luck with your little dog...I can't add anything else useful as far as a diagnosis.

dawn20
December 29th, 2004, 08:23 AM
thanks I will call around today.