Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Shock Collars...

oreokitty
December 22nd, 2004, 06:46 PM
What are your thoughts on them? Good or bad? Kohl likes to bark and we are in a new area. I don't want to have any complaints from our neibours about his barking. We have tried the spray one and the one with the loud noise with out them working. He is just too smart!

Lucky Rescue
December 22nd, 2004, 07:06 PM
When and where is all this barking taking place? We need more info about this!

twinmommy
December 22nd, 2004, 07:53 PM
We have tried the spray one and the one with the loud noise with out them working.

Sorry, do you mean they didn't work to remedy to situation, or that you put them on the dog without them being functional in the hopes that it deter him that way. Becasue I have done the latter with a shock collar, I have one that has different intensities and the lowest one was feasible. This collar claimed to be humane, and I would say that it was. The strongest "zap" (YES I tried it, put it on and barked :D , had to make sure my baby wouldn't get hurt) was bothersome and annoying at best. Best thing is after a while with a smart dog, you can just hold it up to him and he'll stop barking.

Outside of that, have you tried teaching him? That was the best solution of all for us. Tenderfoot, on this site is really great with training advice.

cashew`smom
January 6th, 2005, 12:29 PM
Mary,

I use a shock collar on Cashew. Had many complaints from my building. After 3 months with a trainer and no results, we had no choice. What we did is used for 1 week. It seemed to work we asked the poeple on my floor, and they all said they didn`t hear Cashew all week. Then took the batteries out. Samething everyone said that they didn`t hear Cashew. So we thought while we went down stairs, we wouldn`t put the collar on. Guess what she barked the whole time. WE could hear her 4 flights down. Anyway, she still wears the collars, just without the batteries.

Margo

Sqwuakhouse
January 6th, 2005, 12:41 PM
We used to have a Rottie/Alaskan Malamute cross. He was very, very stubborn. He excelled in obedience training but when he decided he wanted to do something it was hard to stop him. We finaly invested in a shock collar and only had to use it a couple of times. He got the hint real quick as to who the boss was. I would not recommend using it for long periods of time. We tried all different types of training methods with our pup. Yes, pup. At 9 months of age and weighing in at 98 pounds, I needed to get control. The shock collar worked like a charm.

oreokitty
January 6th, 2005, 01:23 PM
We bought one... We only had to use it once. Thanks guys for your help! He is a very good puppy now!

jbark2004
January 6th, 2005, 02:29 PM
Hi guys,

I live with a K9 officer and 3 large dogs. Well we are very familar with bark collars in our neighborhood. Our neighbor has a dog that barks constantly for like an hour and a half at a time and for no reason. So we lent him a bark collar. The suggestion is to put it on your dog when you are not home, if you are home then the whole point of barking is to warn and protect the family when they are there. So the dog needs the opportunity to do that. Also when you are home then you can displine him or her yourself, but when you're not home the dog is just annoying neighbors with no consequence. After a few days of the collar on while you're gone you can take it off and ask you're neighbors to report to you how your dog did. The problem should be solved after a few days. You shouldn't ever put the collar on turned off, it defeats the purpose and can confuse the dog. The dog may hush up from just seeing the collar, but if not then it should be worn turned on. No idle threats. After a few days the collar should not be worn constantly, only when necessary.