Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Question regarding my Dogue

DogueLover
December 21st, 2004, 11:37 PM
I was asked recently if Angel had ever had a litter of pups.......... due to her nipple size.
I am just curious as to whether or not any other large breed owners get this question and if any of you would like to take another look at some of her pics and give me your feedback.
She usually looks "saggy" especially after her heat cycle as she often goes through false pregnancy symptoms.
Just curious as to whether or not any other owners have experienced this with their dogs.

I always see her as a "perfect" dog so maybe this is good for me to see that she isn`t as "perfect" as I thought.

Have any of you ever had your dog go through "false pregnancy" ?

Bugsy
December 21st, 2004, 11:53 PM
especially after her heat cycle
Have you considered spaying her? This might help.

DogueLover
December 22nd, 2004, 12:12 AM
We have considered spaying her........ when you have a dog like her with her pedigree it is almost impossible to find a male for stud purposes.
Now jump all over me if you must but we have looked for a male for breeding Angel, we know that most of you would consider that irresponsible, but we did look into it.
Finding a male has become impossible and we were told of another option for getting another "Angel" however, that technology is way too far off and a little too creepy for me to consider.
She has an appointment with the vet this week for her shots and we are going to discuss having her spayed.
I don`t think I will ever find another dogue like her, ( and that is why I would love her to have puppies) but if we had ever bred her we would have needed a RANCH so that I could keep ALL THE PUPPIES for me.
We have been asked several times about breeding her........... and even though we could certainly find homes for all the pups, I just don`t think it is the route we need to continue to persue, there are other breeders out there and I am sure we will find another dogue when the time comes.(She is only 2 1/2 so we have plenty of time to search for another "perfect dogue")

Rainy
December 22nd, 2004, 12:20 AM
false pregnancy symptoms,and enlarged nipples sounds like hormonal imbalance to me.That btw could lead to emotional issues and physical .I would get her spayed ASAP .As much as you love your dogue you should know that she will be happier and more comfortable spayed.

Lucky Rescue
December 22nd, 2004, 06:18 PM
even though we could certainly find homes for all the pups, I just don`t think it is the route we need to continue to persue, there are other breeders out there and I am sure we will find another dogue when the time comes. :thumbs up

Unless Angel is titled and health tested, please have her spayed. You will be doing her and the breed a big favour. Plus she is 2 1/2 and the risk of pyometra or reproductive cancers increases with each heat.

If she is not titled, any stud dog whose owner is willing to allow the mating will also not be titled or tested, and this would merely be backyard breeding and for what purpose? A litter of irresponsibly bred Dogues is not a pleasant thought.

Having a litter would be a huge undertaking, both financially, emotionally and physically and there is no reason to breed her.

mona_b
December 22nd, 2004, 08:32 PM
I have to agree,please have her spayed.

And I hate to say this,but since your dog is not a Champion or Titled,health or genetic tested,which would have been done when she was 2,you will not find a licenced breeder offering to use their stud for her.This definately would be considered BYB.Something tells me that you got her not from a licenced breeder?

All my dogs have been "perfect" but at the same time they have each been different in their own way.

My first GSD was "perfect"..He was an amazing dog.I could have used him for stud.Wait,no I couldn't,I was on a no-breeding contract.And if I didn't prove to my breeder that he was neutered,I would have had to fork out $5000 cause I went against the contract.That went for the same with Yukon and Tron.

DogueLover
December 23rd, 2004, 06:11 AM
Angel went to the vet yesterday for her shots and she is having a pseudo pregnancy, but the vet is not alarmed, he sees this in large breeds a LOT.
But just for anyone who thinks that we are still looking to breed her, read the post again, we have already decided AGAINST breeding her.
She did however, come from a licenced breeder and we paid the extra money for breeding rights, because at the time I considered showing her and having her titled. Since that didn`t happen, ( although we did have all the health tests done and she cleared all of them) and she didn`t get "titled" we decided that the breeding route would not work out to benefit anyone.
As I had said, we would love to have a puppy from her because she is so fantastic but we are also realistic and responsible.
Thanks for all your advice, but please understand that we didn`t need to be convinced about the right decision for our baby, having puppies is hard on a female(especially if they have large litters).
I am happy to keep my baby healthy and happy and enjoy her just the way she is............... we will keep looking for a baby bordeaux, just not from our "baby"/

Merry Christmas everyone!

jackieb
December 23rd, 2004, 06:16 AM
I hope you find one!

glasslass
December 23rd, 2004, 09:18 AM
She has an appointment with the vet this week for her shots and we are going to discuss having her spayed.
........... and even though we could certainly find homes for all the pups, I just don`t think it is the route we need to continue to persue, there are other breeders out there and I am sure we will find another dogue when the time comes.(She is only 2 1/2 so we have plenty of time to search for another "perfect dogue")

Thanks for the clarification. I think I and others thought you meant finding another "perfect dogue" to mate with her. I understand what you really meant. :)

mona_b
December 26th, 2004, 08:50 AM
I'm glad that you changed your mind. :)

Showing a dog takes alot of time and money.A friend of the family shows his Afghan.And Cash is 1 point away now from becoming a Champion.Showing is not easy.

glasslass,I knew it was a "perfect" pup she was looking for,that's why she was asking about breeding Angel.... :)