Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Kongs

katy82
December 21st, 2004, 07:58 PM
Does anyone have any tips for what to put in a Kong? I've heard peanut butter is good but Phil doesn't like it! I've also heard mustard, mayonaise and cream cheese. Are these actually good or are any of them bad for dogs? New dog owner here, can you tell? :p Thanks for any advice!

glasslass
December 21st, 2004, 08:01 PM
There was a thread on Kong recipes awhile back. Maybe someone on here can find it. What kind of dog is Phil?

twinmommy
December 21st, 2004, 08:03 PM
My dogs would like all of those things, but they get to be very quick at it and too many "refills" is not so good for them. I would take a small piece of dog cookie (you could even make your own...good recipes on line) and wedge it in there. Gypsy would munch on that for an hour!!! And it's not so fattening as all that peanut butter.

katy82
December 21st, 2004, 08:04 PM
Phil is an American Eskimo.

BMDLuver
December 21st, 2004, 08:05 PM
Cheese Whiz, put it in the freezer over night and give it to him/her to eat in the morning. Mine loves it.

glasslass
December 21st, 2004, 08:07 PM
Found it!

http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=6299&highlight=Kong+recipes

On that thread, LuckyRescue posted a link that has a bunch of recipes.

katy82
December 21st, 2004, 08:18 PM
Thanks glasslass! :)

mastifflover
December 22nd, 2004, 08:39 AM
go to
www.kong.com
they have a whole stuffing section with some great combos and freezing them makes it last even longer

Dukieboy
December 22nd, 2004, 09:02 AM
I freeze wet dog food in one for my Duke at least once a day, he does eat a little less dry now. Its great for if they have to amuse themselves on thier own for a while. It gives them the same pleasure (well almost) as working the marrow out of a bone.

raingirl
December 22nd, 2004, 10:22 AM
Um...

www.kong.com doesn't go where it's supposed to. It goes to someone's personal site. (Dolores Kong)

try this:

http://www.kongcompany.com/

Sheriffmom
December 22nd, 2004, 12:44 PM
Sheriff hates PB and Cheeze whiz... and the normal kong stuffers.... we buy "Apple Cranberry" Doggie dessert (I think Royal Can. it'sin little tins at Petsmart) He loves the stuff!! It comes in a can, and we just use a knife to spread it into the Kong (like a cream cheese consistancy)!! :)

Schwinn
December 22nd, 2004, 12:46 PM
We break dog biscuits and put them in for Diasy. She's learned to throw it in the air, or whip it at the ground to get them to fall out. It's quite comical, it you aren't on said ground at the time!

mastifflover
December 22nd, 2004, 01:04 PM
Thanks Raingirl my brain is on holiday already

jjgeonerd
December 22nd, 2004, 01:16 PM
Gabby likes wet dog food the best in the bubble shaped one. I freeze it before I give it to her so it lasts longer.

I put small milk bones type treats in the Kong treat ball. She has learned to drop it down the stairs to get them out!