Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Grape Seed Extract

fremar
December 21st, 2004, 07:36 PM
hello just would like to know if anyone has used Grape seed extract on any of their dogs?

BMDLuver
December 21st, 2004, 08:03 PM
As raisins are toxic, would it not stand to reason that grapes and the seed extract would be as well? not sure, but I would be afraid to try it as it is highly concentrated.

glasslass
December 21st, 2004, 08:13 PM
Know nothing about it but, just curious, what would it be used for?

db7
December 22nd, 2004, 12:43 AM
Grapes are toxic to dogs. Any benefit is outweighed by the risk. Whatever positive you are looking for is more safely found in other foods.

raingirl
December 22nd, 2004, 07:36 AM
Just because it's grape seed extract, doesn't mean it has the same thing that causes toxicity in dogs.

I found these sites:

http://www.healthypetnet.com/products/food/dog/grapeseed.asp?realname=10042285

http://www.lowchensaustralia.com/health/herbs.htm

It's just like apples. Apple flesh is fine for dogs, but the seeds have cyanide in them which is toxic. Therefore, it's possible what is toxic to dogs in grapes might not necessarily be in the seeds as well.

I actually found a lot of sites on google that recommend it as a powerful antioxidant for your pets.

Also, homeopathic medicine has a basis in that exposure to a problem is the solution (i.e. taking bee pollen for allergies, when effectively the pollen causes the allergies, if administered properly, is the cure as well).

mastifflover
December 22nd, 2004, 08:26 AM
I would be very careful since there are so many things that are toxic to cats and dogs. My advice would be to contact a homeopathic vet and talk to them, before you administer anything to an animal.

fremar
January 25th, 2005, 03:34 PM
Thank you for all of your answers :sorry: I am so very late in answering. I have Sadie on honeycomb and am giving her 1 teaspoon with her meals. She is the one with Chronic Rhinitis I am steady looking for an alternative med. The honey seems to be working have only given it to her for little over a week.