Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Multiple Sick Cats

TrickyZodiac13
December 21st, 2004, 03:34 PM
Please help. We're going broke from the vet bills and we still have no answers...I'm really frightened that something in our home is making our cats sick...or is it just a coincidence? We have 5 cats - Ghengis (a 16 year old Burmese with Thyroid disease), Freya (a 15 year old short hair with Thyroid disease), Loki ( an 11 year old long hair, who has disturbingly bad teeth and terrible grooming habits...always gets matted, despite our continuous combing), Mischief (an 8 year old longhair, who was perfectly healthy until yesterday) and a 8 week old kitten named Spooky ( who is in great health, seemingly anyway).

Ghengis and Freya have had their ups and downs since being diagnosed with Thyroid disease - they both take Tapazole daily....Ghengis gets a total of 10mgs daily and Freya gets 2.5mgs daily.

The past few weeks have been extremely frusterating and I can barely sleep at night form being afraid that I will have to run one of the cats into the Pet Emergency Room during the night.

I would also like to mention that, this summer, we found that one of our cats (Onion) had mysteriously passed away one night...he was only 12 and in generally well health. It looked like he had a seizure or something. Very sad to say the least.

A few weeks ago I noticed that a few of the cats were throwing up more frequently than normal. Ghengis and Freya would often throw up, but this was way beyond normal. Ghengis seemed to be eating, as normal but was a bit more lethargic than normal. Freya started to get very ill...she began throwing up blood and clear liquid and was urinating alot, also became extemely dehydrated.

So fearing that it was kidney failure or the thyroid disease gone awry, I took her into the vet for some tests. My vet and I were completely shocked when the T4 and kidney test came back absolutley fine. He was sure it was kidney failure, as well. We put her on an Antibiotic and baby food for two weeks, as well as, having me inject her with Sub Q fluids nighlty. Freya has started to get better, but the past two days she's been throwing up again...no blood, just some food. I'm so worried about her though, she's very fragile. Ghengis still seems to not be feeling very well, but is holding his own. Loki seems fine other than needing to have some teeth pulled and to be detangled. Spooky the kitten is thriving and growing exeptionally well. Mischief, who is relatively young has always been healthy, is sick now too.

I had started to figure that maybe the cats somehow got a bug or something...the older ones seem to be having the most difficulty. I've thought maybe their illness-timing was a coincidence. I don't know.

Mischeif started to gag yesterday, ALOT! And he champs afterwards. Nothing significact is coming up though, occasioanly clear frothy vomit. He's depressed and skitzy.

Here's some things that I've noticed alot lately & it's very hard to tell which cat is doing what:
Clear, frothy vomit. (Ghengis, Freya & Mischief)
Listlessness in all of them, except the kitten.
Loose, mucousy stools (Ghengis & Freya)
Loss of coat quality (Ghengis, Freya & Loki)
Champing (Mischief)
Occasional to Fequent Vomiting of food (Freya and sometimes Ghengis)

They all are still eating and appear to be retaining (most) of their food and I see them drinking, some more than others. Everyone appears to be using the litterbox, too.

I'm just so confused. I was sure Freya's T4 would show something. I had even suspected Distemper from the kitten for a while, but she's fine and the vet said it wasn't that. Our vet is at a loss and we are literally going broke from all of the vet bills. We completely trust our vets and have significant faith in their practices abilities. I worked for them in High School and know that all of them are very good doctors. BUT, maybe there is something that they haven't thought about. All we do know is that our cats aren't doing too well health wise and we don't know what's causing this or how we can help them.

Do you think that something in our home could be making them all sick. I know that their symptoms are pretty general. But it's seems very odd that most of them are experiencing health isssues.

Any thoughts or ideas would be most welcome.
Thank-you for your time,
Truly.

chico2
December 21st, 2004, 03:48 PM
Zodiac13,it sounds like you and your cats are having a terrible time, :sorry:
Is there any possibility they could have been poisoned? Do they go outside?
Do they eat house-plants? Maybe anti-freeze from the drive-way??
There are people here with more medical knowledge than me,just be patient and stick around!
Hopefully they'll get better soon.... :sad:
What cleaning-products do you use for floors or carpet? I've read Swiffer Wet-Jet is poisonous to pets,Febreeze spray is another dangerous product for pets...

TrickyZodiac13
December 21st, 2004, 04:03 PM
Thanks for responding...
They are all indoors...all of the time.

I use nothing on the carpets other than the occasional stain remover...like Resolve.

I do use a clorox mop, but only about once every other week.

I haven't introduced any "new" cleaning products, either.

And they don't have any access to plants...their areas are generally kitty proof. I have a Pothos, but I've never seen anyone eating it.

They have a Automated LitterMaid that is emptied out daily, too.

They're generally spoiled and all of them lay on my bed all day when I'm at work. Ghengis even manages to wiggle himself under the covers.

I feed them Purina ONE dry food and then 1 can of Friskies and 1 jar of baby food divided up between them, daily.

I've always thought I was doing very well with them...I'm so concerned that maybe I am overlooking something though.

:sad: :sad: :sad:

SarahLynn123
December 21st, 2004, 05:26 PM
Do you have an attic? and if so can you peek up there to make sure there is no mold? I remember as a child we had mold growing in the ceiling of the school and all the children that frequented that area were very ill. I really hope this is not the case. Hope they get better soon!

Karin
December 21st, 2004, 05:45 PM
Please help. We're going broke from the vet bills and we still have no answers...I'm really frightened that something in our home is making our cats sick...or is it just a coincidence? We have 5 cats - Ghengis (a 16 year old Burmese with Thyroid disease), Freya (a 15 year old short hair with Thyroid disease), Loki ( an 11 year old long hair, who has disturbingly bad teeth and terrible grooming habits...always gets matted, despite our continuous combing), Mischief (an 8 year old longhair, who was perfectly healthy until yesterday) and a 8 week old kitten named Spooky ( who is in great health, seemingly anyway).

Ghengis and Freya have had their ups and downs since being diagnosed with Thyroid disease - they both take Tapazole daily....Ghengis gets a total of 10mgs daily and Freya gets 2.5mgs daily.

The past few weeks have been extremely frusterating and I can barely sleep at night form being afraid that I will have to run one of the cats into the Pet Emergency Room during the night.

I would also like to mention that, this summer, we found that one of our cats (Onion) had mysteriously passed away one night...he was only 12 and in generally well health. It looked like he had a seizure or something. Very sad to say the least.

A few weeks ago I noticed that a few of the cats were throwing up more frequently than normal. Ghengis and Freya would often throw up, but this was way beyond normal. Ghengis seemed to be eating, as normal but was a bit more lethargic than normal. Freya started to get very ill...she began throwing up blood and clear liquid and was urinating alot, also became extemely dehydrated.

So fearing that it was kidney failure or the thyroid disease gone awry, I took her into the vet for some tests. My vet and I were completely shocked when the T4 and kidney test came back absolutley fine. He was sure it was kidney failure, as well. We put her on an Antibiotic and baby food for two weeks, as well as, having me inject her with Sub Q fluids nighlty. Freya has started to get better, but the past two days she's been throwing up again...no blood, just some food. I'm so worried about her though, she's very fragile. Ghengis still seems to not be feeling very well, but is holding his own. Loki seems fine other than needing to have some teeth pulled and to be detangled. Spooky the kitten is thriving and growing exeptionally well. Mischief, who is relatively young has always been healthy, is sick now too.

I had started to figure that maybe the cats somehow got a bug or something...the older ones seem to be having the most difficulty. I've thought maybe their illness-timing was a coincidence. I don't know.

Mischeif started to gag yesterday, ALOT! And he champs afterwards. Nothing significact is coming up though, occasioanly clear frothy vomit. He's depressed and skitzy.

Here's some things that I've noticed alot lately & it's very hard to tell which cat is doing what:
Clear, frothy vomit. (Ghengis, Freya & Mischief)
Listlessness in all of them, except the kitten.
Loose, mucousy stools (Ghengis & Freya)
Loss of coat quality (Ghengis, Freya & Loki)
Champing (Mischief)
Occasional to Fequent Vomiting of food (Freya and sometimes Ghengis)

They all are still eating and appear to be retaining (most) of their food and I see them drinking, some more than others. Everyone appears to be using the litterbox, too.

I'm just so confused. I was sure Freya's T4 would show something. I had even suspected Distemper from the kitten for a while, but she's fine and the vet said it wasn't that. Our vet is at a loss and we are literally going broke from all of the vet bills. We completely trust our vets and have significant faith in their practices abilities. I worked for them in High School and know that all of them are very good doctors. BUT, maybe there is something that they haven't thought about. All we do know is that our cats aren't doing too well health wise and we don't know what's causing this or how we can help them.

Do you think that something in our home could be making them all sick. I know that their symptoms are pretty general. But it's seems very odd that most of them are experiencing health isssues.

Any thoughts or ideas would be most welcome.
Thank-you for your time,
Truly.

You do have a situation going on here. When did you get the kitten and isolate it now. (My opinion) Sounds like something common going on with your sick group..if it's viral the incubation period could have started before introducing the new kitten..if you got the new kitten prior to two weeks ago, this could be the culprit too.

Coccidia maybe? This internet stuff makes it hard, I'm sure you understand that. Mucous & loose stools with some vomiting are a good hint. Dehydration also.

Everything is a wild guess with helping in mind.

I do not know what antibiotics were prescribed but a "hail mary" addition of Sulphatrim or Albon for all could not hurt.

Good luck..

TrickyZodiac13
December 23rd, 2004, 02:37 PM
Update:

Mischeif is still gagging and champing.
Took him to the Vet on Tuesday night and they ran a T4/CBC/Super Chem.
The results came back fine except for an elevated Muscle Enzyme.
The vet said they would like to run test for Feline Leukemia, FIV & Toxoplasmosis.
I am literally freaking out. Very scared.
But, some of the cats symptoms do appear to be consistant with some of those diseases.
Also, we did have a leak in the roof a while back...looking into the mold senario because to be honest, I'm constantly not feeling "well" too.

I'll keep everyone posted as to what is found out.

Thanks for everyone's suggestions and support.

chico2
December 23rd, 2004, 03:22 PM
Thank's for the update,it must be a nightmare...not knowing :sad:
It seems you have not held back on any testing,I am glad you are such a good mom to your cats,although it all must cost a fortune....I just hope you get some results soon.
If you too are not feeling great,it could be something in your house...mold and your cats being exposed to it 24/7,who knows :confused:
I hope we will hear some good news soon,not all cat-diseases are fatal,so chin up,ok :love: Merry Christmas!!

Karin
December 23rd, 2004, 04:36 PM
Please update as soon as you can.

High fives to you also...you are going that "extra" mile for the love of your family.

Lucky Rescue
December 23rd, 2004, 05:50 PM
Sounds like something is definitely wrong. Do you have a furnace? Have you checked to make sure it's functioning properly?

Do you use furniture polish and do the cats get on the wood furniture?

Cats are extremely sensitive to chemicals. When you use cleaning products on carpets, cats walk in it and then lick their paws and could ingest tiny amounts over a period of time resulting in a toxic reaction.

For now, I would try stopping all cleaning products used on the floor and try plain vinegar and water.

Either the coincidence of all the sick cats is amazing, or something in your home is poisoning them. Vets can't find what it is unless they know what they're looking for.

I hope you can resolve this. Please let us know!

raingirl
December 24th, 2004, 08:00 AM
I did some research and Pothos is extremely poisonous to cats. Maybe you aren't seeing them eat it? Maybe they are licking it and getting sick? I dunno, just an idea.

Little Angels
December 24th, 2004, 08:02 AM
This sounds so terrible, I hope you get to the bottom of it soon.

The poor little ones

glasslass
December 24th, 2004, 09:22 AM
It's great that you're actively pursuing this! I hope you're able to pin it down. I don't have any new suggestions or insights, but just want to add my encouragement. This must be so frustrating and frightening.

CyberKitten
December 24th, 2004, 10:43 AM
I just logged in today to find your serious problem! I am so sorry to hear about what your cats and you are going through. It seems like a case for that new mystery medical show - don't know the name. I am inclined to agree with the others re mold and chemicals. Cats are so very sensitive to all of those kind of things.

I would isolate the kitten - depending on when the illnesses began, did it all start after he arrived or prior to that?

It could even be a "sick building" syndrome. Do you have capets or even upholstered furniture? Mold and dust and other nasties gather there and I often see sick kids who are the first indicators that there is something amiss in their home! So your cats are like your kids in this instance. The older cats would obviouisly be the most vulnerable so they would be the most affected.

IF that is what it is. But it does seem to be affecting all of the cats except the kitten so it is either some mold like contagion or some infectious agent that is causing the illnesses.

Here are 3 articles on mold growth in the event it that: (But this is pure conjecture):
http://www.drgreene.com/21_1272.html
http://www.allergybuyersclub.com/faqs/aafamoldallergies.shtml
http://hem.dis.anl.gov/eehem/97/971107.html

I would think your vet would have found an infectious agent unless it is particularly elusive.

Good luck!! I hope you will discover what is hurting your kitties!!

Dukieboy
December 24th, 2004, 11:07 AM
I would stop using the floor products and wonder if you are using any of those air scenting plug ins or what not. Nothing in the toilet either. I hope you figure this out. :(

Note: I received a warning sometime ago via email about Swiffer Wet Jet, the residue it leaves and how harmfull it is to animals. Maybe the same chemicals are in your clorox mop.