Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

dog boots? Do you recommend?

Alexandra7
December 21st, 2004, 02:19 PM
we have a very young dog and do not plan on taking her out much until the spring. but we do allow her to go to the bathroom outside on our stone deck. Should I buy her boots? She is only 2 pounds very small...we have seen boots that cost $200 (lilyboots? with zippers, leather with rubber soles) to less expensive pull on boots. What do you recommend?

BMDLuver
December 21st, 2004, 02:23 PM
I believe this was discussed in another thread. It seemed the best choice was Mukluks. I think they are around 50 a set.

mastifflover
December 21st, 2004, 02:23 PM
Go for neo paws these have been highly reccommended

lezzpezz
December 21st, 2004, 02:28 PM
I just ordered and rec'd a pair of "Kozy Paws" and I paid only $27.00 Canadian (including shipping!), for 4 xlarge booties for my pyrenees. It was a deal on ebay.ca , and this runs periodically.

They are slip on with velcro fasteners, suede bottoms, fluffy pile inside, and flourescent nightime strips for safety. They also have an elasticized sock part to go up the foot part way. They are extremely well made and were relatively inexpensive compared to the price you listed. If you like, I can send you the fellows' email address etc. so you can contact him directly.

Now if I could only get them on my dogs' feet!!

Schwinn
December 21st, 2004, 03:43 PM
I'm not sure you would need boots if she is just going outside to conduct business, and doesn't seem to have a problem with the cold. If the cold seems to bother her feet, then you might want to, but I'm not sure the money is justified otherwise. Others may have better thoughts about this than me, however.

GunnerX
December 21st, 2004, 03:47 PM
Its not always about the cold. The reason we got ariel booties was because of the amount of salt people put on the sidewalks and the salt trucks on the roads. These things are quite large compared to her paws and can cut if it gets caught in her paws. We bought MuttLuks for $50.

lezzpezz
December 21st, 2004, 03:55 PM
The only reason I have them for my dog, Rosie, is that within 1/2 a block of our house, she forms the biggest and most painful ice balls between her pads and she cannot go any further. The other 2 dogs, (husky and collie/chowX?) don't seem to feel the cold or ice, but poor Rosie wants so badly to partake in the walks and ends up in pain. So, I thought I would try the booties to see if it makes her life any easier. So far, however, I cannot get her to let me put them on her feet with any ease! Sigh! I will persevere!

On a side note: my boss put some de-ice spray formulated for dogs paws, on her boxers' feet and she thinks he licked it off and then had to be rushed to the emergency clinic for treatment! His head and face puffed up and he developed red bumps all over his head! He was very ill. This spray had what she considered to be safe all-natural ingredients in it, and she is not positive that this is what caused the reaction, but it was the only new product introduced to the dog recently. Be careful what you use! And remember to watch out for antifreeze and your pets! Deadly!

Sheriffmom
December 25th, 2004, 03:11 PM
Try putting one boot on her (any paw) then take her for a walk, do this a few times, then try 2 boots.... pretty soon she'll feel the difference for herself!! It may help her to want to wear the booties!!
We have Mutluks.... and love them (we go the winter ones, with the fleece inside, leather soles, velcro reflective strips, and upper "socks) :)