Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

My carpet can not take anymore

Apple
December 21st, 2004, 11:58 AM
We adopted a puppy (5 months old) from our local humane society. She had diarrhea when we first got her home. I assumed it was stress and food change so we just kept scrubbing it out of the carpet. It would start to get better and then go back to water. She was not dehydrating and seemed otherwise very happy and playful so I didn't worry about it too much. the humane society told me she had been dewormed and was otherwise healthy so I was waiting for her to adjust.

Well Saturday I finally took her into the vet. She has worms. I am not impressed. Hookworms AND roundworms. So, now both she and my other dog are being treated.

She passed the worms on Sunday night (eww) and I am wondering how long before her stool starts to firm back up? Anyone had any experience with this?

lil_kirk
December 21st, 2004, 12:35 PM
Oh goodness--I have no experience with this..but let me just say that you're a real trooper. I cannot imagine that this has been a good experience for you, or the dog.

I hope the little one feels better soon!

Apple
December 21st, 2004, 12:44 PM
Never mind me, the dog and my carpet have had it pretty rough. The poor darling. I should have taken her to the vet a lot earlier but I trusted the humane society when they said she had been dewormed. Her feces are starting to get better, still very mushy though.

Something else odd. We crate trained our GSD, she would never go in the crate and I understood this to be the norm with dogs - they don't do thier business where they sleep. Well she has stopped pooping on the rug and this morning while I was getting dressed (after having a bowel movement on our walk) she went into her crate (which was open) and pooped on the blanket. I thought this was odd but I was very glad, so much easier to clean up LOL

mastifflover
December 21st, 2004, 12:50 PM
I am so glad you found out the problem and are treating the poor baby. I suggest you add a little bit of pumpkin to the food not the pie filling just canned it works really well for the runs and no bad effects for you dogs.

BMDLuver
December 21st, 2004, 01:31 PM
Add boiled rice with the pumpkin and it will work more rapidly. If the cage is too large she will use it for her business. Also, if she was living in a cage for some period of time, she will need to relearn to go to the bathroom in other locations.

Apple
December 21st, 2004, 02:27 PM
Thanks, I am going to have to stay away from the rice, just like with kids, if you give it to one you have to give it to the other and the rice seems to give my GSD the runs LOL I cannot win.

I do not think she was at the humane society long and she was not really crate trained when she came to us. This going into the crate to do her business is a very, very new thing. Like yesterday and this morning new. I really don't mind, it is so much easier to clean. I wonder if it is because I get upset when she pooped on the carpet (not at her) but when she goes in her crate I just take the blanket and hose it off in the tub. Maybe she thinks it is ok. She didn't go in it last night at all, she only goes in there to do her thing when she is not actually in the crate. It is weird.

I will get some pumpkin tonight on the way home.