Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Any information on toxic shock deaths in puppies

Alexandra7
December 20th, 2004, 08:32 PM
The autopsy came back from our puppy that died after being with us for only 3 months. She was 11 months old. The dog died of toxic shock and had a previously undiagnosed heart problem. (dog was a mixed breed) University said this was very rare - it took < 6 hours from the point the dog started to vomit to her ulimate demise. I am heart sick - but wanted to get more information on toxic shock. We still do not know what she consumed. But tests continue. Has anyone had a similar experience. Is there research on toxic shock in animals. We feel so guilty and heart sick. Thought Toxic shock was something that happened in kenneled dogs only...obviously this is not the case. Does anyone have any information

glasslass
December 20th, 2004, 08:52 PM
I'm sorry to hear about your puppy! I'm not familiar with toxic shock. What were the symptoms? It sounds like it happened very quickly. It must be a shock for you and your family. So hard to deal with when they're so young and so unexpected. I feel for you. :grouphug:

Alexandra7
December 21st, 2004, 01:13 PM
Our dog started to vomit at 5:00pm on Saturday. Wasn't herself, did not want to eat, but did drink. she threw up 3-4 times. Slept in her crate - did not eat the next day. By noon she looked lethargic so we too her to emerg. She died 25 min. later. The vet thought 1. she may have ingested something that resulted in toxic shock to her system. 2. that she may have had other 'issues'. We have a new dog now...but it does not make up for the loss. But I am so puzzled and wanted to get answers from people that are more familiar with dogs...thanks for your kind words.

Schwinn
December 21st, 2004, 02:48 PM
I'm so sorry for you. I know how heart wrenching it must be, but don't blame yourself.

I do know that there are certain plants that can be deadly. I have only heard of them, and do not know what they are. I also know that some dogs are more sensitive than others, so what my effect one dog severly, may not have any affect on other dogs. It sounds like unfortunatly your little guy may have been more sensitive than most, all the more reason to not feel guilty.