Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

How do you/did you teach your pup to catch (balls, treats etc...)

flmmkrz
December 20th, 2004, 02:34 PM
My first post :)

My lil 13 week rotti pup has started her foundation training and is doing quite well and overall the experience thus far has been awesome but with my dearly departed prior rotti I used to be able to toss her treats even when she was a pup or toss her a ball etc and she instinctivly knew to catch it. My new little girl will watch whatever object with intense focus as it lands on her head all the while never losing that happy grin she carries. Figuring a couple times of that and she'd learn to either get out of the way or to catch it I attempted many more times and many more times she took her lumps lol. ( it doesnt hurt her the ball is soft and her treat a puppy cookie ). Its been about 2 weeks of trying but alas no change did I just get a unathletic/ or uncoordinated rotti or is there hope for her :) How'd you teach your dogs?

flmmkrz

BMDLuver
December 20th, 2004, 02:39 PM
It is suggested that you not toss food at your dog to catch it as when they are around small children, who constantly drop things, the child's hand can get in the way of the snap to catch.

Sorry, off topic I know, but important to bear in mind.

Trinitie
December 20th, 2004, 02:50 PM
It takes time to teach a dog to catch, and your dog is still a very young baby whose reflexes are still a bit wonky.

I've found that when trying to teach a young dog to catch, you should have the dog sit very close to you (only a few inches away) and toss a very soft toy gently towards their mouth. Of course I've only done this with an older dog, say one who's over 6 months old and whose reflexes are more developed.

You may be expecting too much from such a young pup who's just over 3 months old. Perhaps members here who've had more experience with Rotti pups can offer more precise advice.

flmmkrz
December 20th, 2004, 02:50 PM
It is suggested that you not toss food at your dog to catch it as when they are around small children, who constantly drop things, the child's hand can get in the way of the snap to catch.

Sorry, off topic I know, but important to bear in mind.

Oh good to know, I hadn't thought of that and see that as a reason to lay off tossing food so i'll run that by my trainer before I do it again but the catching of toys, like frisbees, is something a lot of trainers show off so it cant be a bad thing to try and teach? Or were you speaking specifically of just the food?

flmmkrz

flmmkrz
December 20th, 2004, 02:54 PM
It takes time to teach a dog to catch, and your dog is still a very young baby whose reflexes are still a bit wonky.

You may be expecting too much from such a young pup who's just over 3 months old. Perhaps members here who've had more experience with Rotti pups can offer more precise advice.

Good point, might have jumped the gun in expectations considering she's still tripping over her feet when shes walking straight lol

I'll just be more patient and take it slow. I've taken the same approach with her that you recommended, still hits her in the face, its cute tho.

and thank you and BMD both for your posts

flmmkz

Schwinn
December 20th, 2004, 03:20 PM
I find with Daisy, when she wants to play catch, she's amazing! But when she isn't...it's actually quite embarassing. She has a ball she loves to play catch with, but if I walk in the room and toss it at her, she'll watch it smack her between the eyes without flinching. Very bizarre.

Trinitie
December 20th, 2004, 03:24 PM
It's a pleasure to help out! If you get a chance to, please post us a picture of your baby in the Pictures forum! We'd love to see her.

tenderfoot
December 20th, 2004, 04:22 PM
Expecting her to be able to catch at 3 months is like expecting a 3 year old child to catch well. The mouth - eye coordination just isn't in place yet. Keep trying and toss things underhand to her - tossing slowly over her head. Use a soft toy that will not fly at her face so quickly or bop her on the nose. It gives her time to focus and take a shot at it. Don't give up, she will suprise you one day when she finally catches something.
Rolling things to her can also help develop the mouth-eye coordination. It's all a part of developing the hunting skills. Catching a ball mid-air is like catching a bird as it flushes from a bush - it takes a skilled hunter to catch that bird.

BMDLuver
December 20th, 2004, 05:04 PM
Sorry if I wasn't too clear. Meant only about the food tossing.

tenderfoot
December 21st, 2004, 06:01 PM
I know you are trying for catching food, but she might need more help and patience than your other rottie. That's why starting with a larger soft toy might help. Another idea would be to have her watch another dog successfully catch something and then she might catch on faster.
It could take months for her to decide to try - she's not dumb just different.
Rotties are awesome and bright dogs - she just might be more of what we call a 'slow twitch' and it takes her longer to get things.