Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

lab problem

rosanne
December 19th, 2004, 05:36 PM
we are experiencing a problem with summer a one year old yellow lab she recently was relocated from our home with us to my dads house for 6 months we moved into our new home in september. she seems to have adjusted however recently she has been pooping all over the house in various spots it started with vomiting but that has passed and we wake up to find poop in various rooms my husband is very firm but loud with her and is losing his patience. she seems afraid however is not listening to him anymore. my girls are afraid to hug her because their dad is trying to punish her by making her stay in one room. please advise she does not appear to be ill and we love her very much
thank you

Lucky Rescue
December 19th, 2004, 06:15 PM
We need some more info.

So your 1 yr old dog has spent the last 6 months at your dad's? Did he housetrain her? Was she reliable at his house? Never had accidents? Is she spayed? HOw often do you take her out?

Did you get the vomiting checked out at the vet? What did you do when you first brought her home in regards to housetraining? Did you confine her and take her out at regular intervals on leash and praise her for going outside? Or just bring her home to a strange house and expect her to know the rules, schedules, etc?

Even completely housetrained adult dogs can briefly lose their training when in a new home. They get confused and anxious. A little patience goes a long way.

Yelling and punishment is NOT going to help,as you can clearly see. You need to treat her as though she is an unhousetrained puppy and start fresh - with positive reinforcement and NOT abuse - verbal or physical. This is not training and I don't know what your husband is hoping to accomplish other than make her even more stressed and accident prone. I'm assuming he didn't toilet train the kids this way - by yelling and isolation? What do YOU do when he is yelling at the dog and scaring her?

Since it sounds like you didn't even take her to the vet to have this and the vomiting checked out, your husband may be yelling at her for something she can't help. He needs to stop the abuse.

Karin
December 19th, 2004, 06:20 PM
Please take her to the vet, to rule out any possibility of illness. She is scared right now, a 1 year old is still a puppy basically and sounds like she had a rough start. Understanding goes a very long way...trust me. Shutting her out only confuses the issue and makes it worse. Watch the kids at first around her. I stress adult supervision here...with love and understanding she will become your family's best thing to ever happen. Treat her like family..you will not regret it.

CyberKitten
December 20th, 2004, 07:13 AM
Labs are puppies for TWO years and can still have accidents even when stressed!! (any dog can for that matter). You may love her but please tell your husband to STOP yelling at her. He will just scare her even more - no wonder the poor dog is acting inappropriately! The vomiting can be stress or even a reaction to new food but you should take her to the vet to make sure it is not more serious!

Good luck and remember she is still just a puppy and in a new home!

chico2
December 20th, 2004, 08:07 AM
I can't help wondering,why is it that everyone says"my husband is losing his patience",I doubt somehow he's cleaning up the messes :mad: But the husband always seem to have that underlying threat,if the animal does not stop,he/she(dog/cat) is gone!!
I know you get angry,but you have to count to 10,clean up the mess and figure out the underlying problem,anger stresses any animal out more and it does not help,love and understanding does..
First a vet-visit,then work on your husbands anger or you will end up with a fearful,nervous dog.Put your HUSBAND in a room by himself to cool off :thumbs up