Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

kitten urinating on bed

Franka
December 19th, 2004, 05:39 PM
I have a 5 month old male kitten who has been litterbox-trained from the get go. in the last month he has urinated on my bed 4 times, everytime while i was in the room and once while i was in the bed.
His box is clean, he is well fed, seemingly healthy and with the exception of urinating on my bed he uses his box regularly. There are other beds in the house and he hasn't once urinated on them.
The kitten and i get along well and he is generally affectionate. I don't understand why he's doing this.
I have drylceaned all of my bedding so that the smell is entirely gone and he can't trace it.
Is he spraying? I was under the impression that when kittens spray they do it in a variety of places throughout the house.

any help would be appreciated. the drylceaning bills are getting out of hand.
thanks

Lucky Rescue
December 19th, 2004, 06:04 PM
A 5 month old kitten is not old enough to spray. Has anything changed in your home - new pet, person etc?

If this is something new he is doing, then the first thing is a vet check to find out if there is a medical reason.

Cats often avoid the litterbox to communicate discomfort, stress or pain.

If he checks out okay at the vet, come back and we'll have suggestions for you.:)

Karin
December 19th, 2004, 07:03 PM
What Lucky Rescue said...cat's of any age have a unique, (and not always welcome).. way of saying something is going on here!

Get him to the vet! Haste can make matters worse...for you and the cat kid!

Keep us posted please...

TobsterMom
December 19th, 2004, 10:55 PM
What type of bedding do you have? I've heard of cats peeing on down comforters ans duvets, they're attracted to it for some reason.

ConcernedMom
January 5th, 2005, 02:53 PM
My 2 cats at 4 months were peeing on my goose down duvet all the time. After taking it to be professionally cleaned 4 or 5 times. I clued in that it might be that they didn't like goose down. The vet said they were probably spraying and had me get them neutered immediately. I also threw out the goose down duvet (it was getting harder to get the smell out - no matter how much I had it cleaned, I knew they could smell it) and replaced it with a polyester duvet.

Good luck!

CyberKitten
January 5th, 2005, 03:48 PM
A vet said the kittens were spraying? That is quite unsual and usually the cats who exhibit problematic spraying are much older. Typically, cats who spray when they already have a clean litter box are trying to send you a message - they are ill, they are upset about a recent change, that kind of thing. Did you reorganize the room, have compay, add new bedding? He could be showing his "concern" about any number of those things.

You said he is healthy. Cats who void outside the litter box can be ill and perhaps you shuold consult your vet if you have not been there recently?

Good luck!

ConcernedMom
January 5th, 2005, 04:17 PM
Hi there...
Yes. I called the vet and told them that they kept peeing on the bed and that it had a very, very strong odor (funny they only peed while we slept). I told them they were only 4 months so I didn't think they would be spraying. They told me that kittens can sometimes start spraying early and get get them in right away. That afternoon and $400 later...my were fixed. They very rarely have had any "accidents" since then.
I believed it was the goose duvet. I have only ever bought polyester since then.