Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Fecal E-Coli

Dino
December 19th, 2004, 04:13 AM
Our golden retreiver just terminated her pregnancy due to an E-Coli infection. The infection resulted in a full hysterectomy six weeks into her pregnancy. The Vet stated that she could have contaminated herself during grooming. This has been extremely disappointing for my family and I - not to mention painful for our dog, Kira.

My question really relates to what happened shortly after we had her mated. She had never done this before, but she urinated in our daughters bedroom during the night while we were sleeping. The odor was different than normal and we thought that it was related to the hormonal changes. Now that we have the results from the Vet stating that she had contracted the E-Coli bacteria, we are concerned that the bacteria may have been in her urine and has now contaminated the carpet in our daughters room.

My wife has cleaned the carpet several times using a carpet cleaner and a hot water rug shampooer but the odor has not diminshed. Could the odor be related to the E-coli and can the bacteria infect my family?

Any support on this would be appreciated.

Thank you,

Dino

maddoxies
December 19th, 2004, 11:23 AM
So sorry to hear about your golden. Hope she is feeling better soon.

I cannot answer your questions about the e-coli, but as for the smell ---- try using white vinegar and water. I use this solution in my carpet cleaner when my fosters have "accidents". (and I do not use the heat element). The white vinegar is great for taking out smells.

SOX is a cleaning solution (dont know if available in the US, but I believe so) that is made for removing pet stains and odor, available at pet stores. I tend to use this more for the stain removing properties and stick to the vinegar and water for odors. Effective, readily available in the home and inexpensive.

Hope this helps with the smell issue, hugs to your furbaby

CyberKitten
December 19th, 2004, 04:38 PM
There are some medical studies (not well sampled or who have problems with the methodology) that show some correlation between smell and e Coli. And of course, one can sort of tell unscientifically by looking at or smelling meat whether it might have something like eColi.

If I were you, I'd bleach everything in sight. I was at an AIDS conference recently at an American university and they recommended that simple but proven procedure as the BEST way to prevent bacteria, viruses and other nasties (though even bleach - nothing - kills prions). Or if the bedding is nothing sentimental like a avourite quilt, you may even consider throwing it out.

Good luck!!

Karin
December 19th, 2004, 06:55 PM
VetChem has a great product Syphenol (sp?) that will kill any harmful bacteria or residue. It can be expensive though.

Can't go wrong with bleach. 1 ounce of bleach to 32 parts water will be effective and should not stain. Most people need to smell the bleach, be over whelmed with the fumes before they believe the job is done. ( I am one of those, must smell it or it's not working) I do go overboard.

My dog has had e coli issues also...last outbreak was in Febuary..so far, so good with Tx.

Best of luck..me & the super uber goober, Ciara.