Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

How to train your kitty not to bite?

Happyandme
December 18th, 2004, 10:43 PM
Hi
I have a 12 weeks old kitty, she loves to play. But the problem is, she likes to open her mouth and bite your hand while you playing with her. She seems having fun, but her teeth are getting sharp now, it hurts when got biten by her. How do you train her, so she don't open her mouth and bites on you while playing?

Lucky Rescue
December 18th, 2004, 11:00 PM
You must never ever play with a kitten with your hands. People think it's cute when a 6 week old kitten attacks and bites hands, but not so cute when a 15 lb adult is doing it.

Always use only toys on strings to play with your kitten, and keep your hands away from teeth and claws.

If you pick her up or hold her and she starts to bite, immediately stop moving your hands and say "AH AH!" She will stop, and you can then distract her with a toy. She'll catch on that when she bites or scratches, all the fun stops.

Never be harsh with her or punish her for biting. Be patient and use distraction and redirection.

Happyandme
December 19th, 2004, 07:31 PM
Thanx for your advice. But it sounds like hard not to play her with hands..When she's lying beside you..you will put your hand to touch her...but then she wants to play and starts to grab your hand and opens her mouth to bite. When she bites hard, it hurts. I will shout "AH"...she then will run away..but later on..she seems like forgot everything..comes back and do it again.
I just have the problem of training her.I don't know how to train her to listen to me and stop doing the bad things.
Sometimes when I catch her doing the bad things. I will yell at her immediately, she will then run away. But later, she will come back and does it again. What should I do?

Karin
December 19th, 2004, 07:58 PM
Thanx for your advice. But it sounds like hard not to play her with hands..When she's lying beside you..you will put your hand to touch her...but then she wants to play and starts to grab your hand and opens her mouth to bite. When she bites hard, it hurts. I will shout "AH"...she then will run away..but later on..she seems like forgot everything..comes back and do it again.
I just have the problem of training her.I don't know how to train her to listen to me and stop doing the bad things.
Sometimes when I catch her doing the bad things. I will yell at her immediately, she will then run away. But later, she will come back and does it again. What should I do?

Try doing what Lucky Rescue suggested is what I would do. Please try...

CyberKitten
December 20th, 2004, 06:59 AM
You really just have to keep at it. My kitten (every kitten) wants to play with everything and hands and fingers are close and convenient. I scream when Yin Yin bites - even if it cute and gardly hurts. She does forget and will try again (They are like kids- they try to get away with stuff, especially if they think they are not supposed to, lol). She does it less and less (maybe once a day now and sometimes not even that.) It usally means she is bored. She has 100 toys BUT this is more fun and of course not all toys are interactive- they need a human hand at the other end!

You can get cheap dollar store toys that are like fishing rods with balls and mice on the end. Most kittens love those and they forget there is a hand on the end of it!

I read some good advice recently. When you play with your kitten, don't just throw the toy in front of her or him. Think about how cats chase predators. The prey don't just fall in front of them. And cats like to chase things so play as if you are the prey - hiding and slinking around.

Yin Yin has figured this out alas and she will end up with the fishing rod on the floor or under the bed (and she knows where it is) but she comes to me and whines for it. Kittens!!! lol

Good luck!

chico2
December 20th, 2004, 07:52 AM
Kittens are kittens are kittens...everything is a game of fetch and chew,like everyone says,it's up to you not to use your hands as a toy.
The kitten is NOT aggressive,he/she is just being a kitten,personally I have the scars to prove it,not a big deal to me....but playing with strings and things is the thing to do.
Or,how about getting him/her a little play-mate :thumbs up

Lucky Rescue
December 20th, 2004, 09:44 AM
I have had countless kittens, and not one grew up to bite or scratch because I didn't play with them with my hands. It's easy to do.

A 12 week old kitten is not "bad". Kittens that age are learning to stalk, and pounce and explore, since kittens are very curious. They will break things, and jump on tables, and scratch things and attack hands and feet.

Yelling does no good, since kittens don't understand this, or any other form of punishment, and you don't want her to be afraid of you.

You need endless patience to have kittens around, and chico's suggestion to get her a playmate is an excellent one. A single kitten should have a companion, and we never adopt one kitten if there is no other cat in the house. Pairs are always better. Two kittens will play like crazy and tire themselves out - especially during the night when they are most active.:)

CyberKitten
December 20th, 2004, 07:24 PM
I should have used another word besides "scream". I have a very low voice so I am never very loud. (Not the best for lecturing but one works with what one has, lol) I sound like I am trying to scare her out of it and I mean in a small voice, I make it sound like it really hurts so she pauses and looks at me as if to wonder why I have immediately stopped playing with her. So, she is learning that biting does not get her attention.

I toio have never had a kitten grow up to be a biter and certainly as kittens they tried it- because as you all said, kittens are kittens. They are feline toddlers!! They need fun but supervision! (and of course LOTS of love).

I also really subscribe to the notion of providing alternatives to playing with hands and fingers. (Tho with kittens just as with toddlers one has to be cautious about what they play with so they don;t swallow it, like string or yarn for example).

Anyway, good luck!!

Karin
December 20th, 2004, 07:53 PM
I agree. The best amusement for a kitten is another kitten. You will gain hours of entertainment too!

When they are teenagers, they will still be playmates but companions also. As adult cats they will be great friends with less play and a double lap warmer for you.

It's just as easy to feed two cat's as it is one also.

Cheeky
April 28th, 2005, 01:36 PM
Hi everyone

Just recently brought home a sweet kitten(tabby orange boy). I love Cheeky to bits. He has a habit of licking my face whenever I pick him up for a cuddle (which I love). What I can't figure out is why every once in awhile in a frenzy of purrs and licks he decides to take a firm bite of my cheek. Hence the name cheeky! He seems to do it in a affection way but, it still hurts!

Rita
April 28th, 2005, 01:55 PM
One of my Boyz does the same thing (he's 2yo) ... it was worse in the beginning ... Kingston HS called them 'love nips' :p
I have pretty much managed to get him to stop doing it by saying "don't bite" whenever he did it, and walk away at that point. Now, it's very rare that he 'nips' me, only once in a while but tell him 'don't bite' and he stops ... just head butts and drool :love:

Lucky Rescue
April 28th, 2005, 02:11 PM
LOL - my big fat Stinkerbell does the same thing. At least now I've gotten her to the point where one "AH!" stops her, but sometimes she still sneaks a bite in. She likes to go for my throat, the monster.

What I can't figure out is why every once in awhile in a frenzy of purrs and licks he decides to take a firm bite of my cheek.

Exactly. They work themselves up, then need to bite to release the excitement. Try and stop him licking before he works himself up to the bite.

Toss him a toy or some catnip to help release energy in a less painful way.:p

BEAR_NZ
May 1st, 2005, 11:08 PM
our kitten is only 6 weeks old, but we have raised her from 2 days old. she just loves to be around us, but we too, have had the problem of knowing how to tame her biting habit. The advice on the pet forum has been great, and we find that when she starts to chew us up, we distract her with a toy, and she is gradually not biting as much as she was. she just loves attention, and we try to have play time, and quiet time. we have made little pull along temptations with feathers and fuzzies on the end, which she just loves! kittens love to stalk things and play. sometimes we have worked out that when she gets particularly chewy that she is in fact hungry... and after having a feed she is a lot more content and settled.