Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

HELP!! Need help with cat ripping up carpet

woodsy
December 18th, 2004, 10:21 PM
I have a cat who was rescued 3 years ago when he was 8 weeks old. He is now almost 3 and has started ripping up our carpeting with his claws. So much so we are in the process of laying NEW carpeting because he has damaged it so that he started going after the new carpeting this evening!!! My husband is ready to KILL him. He is neutered, I keep his claws clipped down, he has a scratching post and we are about ready to get him de-clawed which people say how could you do that! Any suggestions would be appreciated! We are at WITTS end!

Gazoo
December 18th, 2004, 10:33 PM
Try Soft Paws which are little glue on plastic claw tips.

http://www.softpaws.com/

With some cats its a perfect solution.

Karin
December 18th, 2004, 10:40 PM
I have a cat who was rescued 3 years ago when he was 8 weeks old. He is now almost 3 and has started ripping up our carpeting with his claws. So much so we are in the process of laying NEW carpeting because he has damaged it so that he started going after the new carpeting this evening!!! My husband is ready to KILL him. He is neutered, I keep his claws clipped down, he has a scratching post and we are about ready to get him de-clawed which people say how could you do that! Any suggestions would be appreciated! We are at WITTS end!

Surely you do not mean that about your husband? At first, I read this as your husband is neutered, can't say that I would blame him for being a bit angry.

Then I got to the part about claw clipping. Okay!

All kidding aside..a three year old cat should know the rules by now. Something must give..but not his fingers..please!

Find out why...after all this time he starts the scratching now..some cat's do not like a scratching post and will snub their nose at one...

Time to think like the one you love....

woodsy
December 18th, 2004, 10:55 PM
So what is the alternative to a "scraching post"?? I would enver de-claw him but my husband is fed up. This is new behavior. We have toys for him , the scratching post, he has been to the vet and nothing is wrong with him except for this. We love this cat but he has always been a little devil and this is getting expensive!

chico2
December 18th, 2004, 11:11 PM
How about putting in wood floors,that's what we did...or laminate floors it's even cheaper than carpet...
Or have a little spray-bottle handy with water,after a few squirts they usually get the message :D
I have 3 cats all with what nature gave them,except their jewels...and we usually keep the livingroom door closed(where there is carpeting)the rest of the house has wood-floors.
Small scratch-posts usually don't work,they are too short,have your husband(or you) build a cat-tree,your kitty and carpet will love you for it :thumbs up
Or better yet,get him a little companion to play with :D

Lucky Rescue
December 18th, 2004, 11:36 PM
What have you done to teach your cat to use a scratch post? Any cat can learn with proper training.

You must get a very solid post that will not wobble when the cat uses it. Make sure it's tall enough that he can stand and scratch.

Don't use carpeted posts. This only teaches him that it's okay to scratch carpet. Use a sisal post or make your own from wood and sisal wrapping.

Get some catnip and rub it on the post. When you see the cat go to scratch the carpet, distract him with a little noise, like "AH AH!" and take him GENTLY to the scratch post and take his paws and move them up and down on it. You must do this gently and encouragingly or he will avoid it. When he scratches the post, pet him and tell him how wonderful he is.

Set up more than one scratch post.

chico2
December 19th, 2004, 08:41 AM
You are of course right Lucky,but that takes patience,love and a lot of effort,something many cat-owners do not have :sad: it's easier to get rid of the cat.
My Rocky and Chico do not scratch the carpet,but young Vinnie does,usually just clapping our hands gets him to stop.
I have a bigger problem with Rocky spraying when he gets excited about something(no kidney-problem!)one of the main reasons I am keeping the LR-door closed when we are not in there.
Getting rid of Rocky is not an option,he's my soul-mate :love: but someone is making a lot of money on cleaning-products :crazy:

CyberKitten
December 19th, 2004, 03:16 PM
It sounds like Rocky is a very lucky kitty!! :)

I agree with the other advice. One can buy or make a scratching post but learning to use it is the most important objective. I know Yin Yin has been using my computer chair -which is old - as a scratching post (along with the other ones located at various strategic places (like the living room!) - but I still need to make sure she does not think that applies to any chair. Fortunately, none are made of similar material and she has not even thought of scratching the furniture. She did try it but I always provided her with alternatives - so you could try that as well. When your kitty scratches the carpet, give him something else to do. Teach him to do alternate things to get some satisfaction for his claws.

Good luck!

woodsy
December 19th, 2004, 04:09 PM
Hi All

Thanks for all your suggestions>I will see if they help. Someone also said use feliway as it is just not for cats spraying but can be used also for this kind of problem?? I will see if that works as I have some on hand.
Mickey never took to the scratching post but my other one did. I have 2 rescues and the other one is like gold. I would never give mickey (the cat) away but really want to nip this in the butt!

chico2
December 19th, 2004, 04:18 PM
Well,good luck Woodsy,it sounds like you love your cat,with love and determination I am sure you'll nip this in the butt :thumbs up

CyberKitten
December 19th, 2004, 04:25 PM
Good luck Woodsy! Let us know how you are making out with your little one. Like humans, all cats have different personalities! :)