Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Shooting dogs and cats...

Loraxp
December 18th, 2004, 10:17 PM
I've just moved to a town in northern Ontario where there is a pound, but no Humane Society. I am very upset to learn that the municipality kills strays after 5 days by shooting them in the head - mind you, if the animal moves logically it would take more than one bullet, and an unfathomable amount of agony.

I hate to think that the money I am paying to the municipality through property taxes, etc., is assisting them in this inhumane slaughter. I hate to cause waves in my new town so soon, but I will do what is required to help kill these animals HUMANELY via euthanasia - I figure that there must be something I can do! I have been suffering sleepless nights trying to figure out an angle of attack. Please give me any advice if you may be able to help.

Thank you for your time,
Andrea :sad: .

Shaykeija
December 18th, 2004, 10:23 PM
what town are you in? kirkland lake, Iroquois Falls, cochrane?
let us know so we can let their town council know just how wrong on so many levels this is.

BMDLuver
December 18th, 2004, 10:26 PM
It is very common in outlying areas of Ontario to practice shooting dogs vs. euthanasia. I lived in an area where it was done on a regular basis. I became involved by letting the local shooter know that I would be willing to take dogs in, make sure they are healthy and then turn them in to the closest Humane Society after the waiting period. One time we ended up with 11 4 week old pitt puppies. I kept them for 2 weeks, had them vet checked, wormed and vaccinated. I then contacted the humane society to advise them of the litter. We took them in with enough food to help for the next month. They in turn called me each time one was adopted until all had been adopted. It didn't stop the shooting but it did help some dogs. These areas see nothing wrong with it as it's always been that way. All that can be done is to try and work something out with the local vet or with the nearest humane society if that's feasible for travelling. Good luck in the education process of your area! :thumbs up

Loraxp
December 18th, 2004, 10:29 PM
Chapleau is where I am located. You can check out www.chapleau.com , but I can't seem to find any municipal contact info there...

Thanks,
Andrea.

BMDLuver
December 18th, 2004, 10:39 PM
http://www.township.chapleau.on.ca/town_guide/thall.htm

Loraxp
December 18th, 2004, 10:39 PM
I considered this, but the closest shelters are in Timmins (2 hrs. away) - where they charge $20 per pet you drop off there - and Sault Ste. Marie (3 1/2 hrs. away) where drop off is free.... but far. Another snag is that we have a municipal by-law limiting the number of dogs and cats permitted for people and we are at our limit.

Thank you for your suggestion though! I admire the fact that you made the scenerio work, and that you saved SO MANY lives!!!

A.

BMDLuver
December 18th, 2004, 10:45 PM
To get around the town limit, your best bet would be to speak with the zoning commissioner, this is his/her area of jurisdiction. You advise what you would like to do in writing and why and if the person has any compassion at all, they put a note in your file disregarding the number of dogs. They normally then just stipulate that if excess noise from the dog becomes a problem, it will need to be dealt with.

Schwinn
December 19th, 2004, 09:59 PM
I agree, the way some people get rid of the animals is awful. We have two cats from Kirkland Lake, one saved from being put in a bag of rocks and thrown in the river! The problem is that a lot of these towns (as you've found out) don't have the facilities or funds to deal with animals in a better way. I was horrified when I found out, but it was my wife who explained it to me (she's a "northern girl".) I know it's VERY small consolation, but death is almost instantaneous. I'm not defending the method, only hoping it'll help you sleep a little better until a better solution is arrived at.

Loraxp
December 20th, 2004, 08:32 PM
I thank everyone for their words of encouragement - I needed that!

I will visit the by-law officer as soon as the holidays are over, and write up a proposal for a fostering program. Normally they charge to save dogs from certain death, but I will be attempting to negotiate this. I tried to contact the Timmins Humane Society to see if we could arrange something so that the $20 drop-off fee could be by-passed for rehabilitated, ready-to-adopt dogs and cats, but I have not heard from them yet. Now I need to track down the vet that visits here bi-weekly...

I feel better that something is starting to TRY to happen... that is the best I can do for now.

On a sadder note I definitively learned today that the limit of time they keep the animals here before shooting them is only 3 days...... and I thought that 5 days was insufficient and horrible. :mad: :sad:

Thanks again,
A. :(