Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Eeeewwww! Phoebe found a dead bird!

Writing4Fun
December 18th, 2004, 08:39 AM
Oh, yuck! :yuck: Went to let Phoebe back in this morning, and there she was, standing at the back door with a very stiff robin in her mouth. I'm too squeamish to check it out to see if she ate any of it. :sick: Is there anything I should be worried about at this point?

chico2
December 18th, 2004, 09:18 AM
I don't think so,the poor Robin was probably frozen stiff...
My Rocky found a frozen dove under out deck one winter and he proudly showed it off as if he had caught it!!Here he is with his"catch"frozen ones are the only ones he can catch :D

Lucky Rescue
December 18th, 2004, 10:49 AM
Chico, Rocky does look so very pleased with himself! :D I think he's pretending to be a Siberian tiger who has just caught his dinner.

Karin
December 18th, 2004, 03:52 PM
Give it BACK to the cat!

This is a common phrase whispered at vet clinics when a caller or client say's the same thing..."my cat just should up with a bird" or, "I found this bird in my yard!"....give it BACK to the cat!

What did cat's do before the can & can opener was invented?

Karin
December 18th, 2004, 03:55 PM
Chico, Rocky does look so very pleased with himself! :D I think he's pretending to be a Siberian tiger who has just caught his dinner.

I think it is a Christmas gift....the best of his ability for the one he loves.

Gazoo
December 18th, 2004, 05:49 PM
Oh, yuck! :yuck: Went to let Phoebe back in this morning, and there she was, standing at the back door with a very stiff robin in her mouth. I'm too squeamish to check it out to see if she ate any of it. :sick: Is there anything I should be worried about at this point?

If she ate some of it you should deworm her maybe?

Cats who hunt should have dewormer once every one or two months. I hate worms :yuck:

Karin
December 18th, 2004, 08:19 PM
If she ate some of it you should deworm her maybe?

Cats who hunt should have dewormer once every one or two months. I hate worms :yuck:

Only if they hunt and eat moles and/or squirrels.

That is of course you live in the southern region of the US.

Deworm your cat's at least twice yearly. If indoor only, once will do.

(If you live as a hermit in a cave, you still go outside..you can bring nasty's home with you and to your pets...)

Gazoo
December 18th, 2004, 08:40 PM
Only if they hunt and eat moles and/or squirrels.

That is of course you live in the southern region of the US.

Deworm your cat's at least twice yearly. If indoor only, once will do.

(If you live as a hermit in a cave, you still go outside..you can bring nasty's home with you and to your pets...)

Birds, voles, mice, moles, gophers and all little rodents are primary carriers of stomach, intestinal worms and all other kinds of nasty parasites and diseases ALL OVER North America.

I think you're thinking of heartworm which doesn't survive in the northern climates.

Karin
December 18th, 2004, 08:58 PM
Birds, voles, mice, moles, gophers and all little rodents are primary carriers of stomach, intestinal worms and all other kinds of nasty parasites and diseases ALL OVER North America.

I think you're thinking of heartworm which doesn't survive in the northern climates.

Heartworm does survive the northern climates...where do you get your information and explain that same reasoning to the many snow birds arriving here and find out their dog is heartworm positive...never being in the states before and POOF! ..Positive! Come on! I know you have mosquitos up north too! You only offer protection based on a season...this is a year round problem....

And btw, I did mention southeast. We do have gophers, tortoises. Rarely does a dog or cat "eat"one.

Live in my state for one month.

Gazoo
December 18th, 2004, 09:20 PM
Heartworm does survive the northern climates...where do you get your information and explain that same reasoning to the many snow birds arriving here and find out their dog is heartworm positive...never being in the states before and POOF! ..Positive! Come on! I know you have mosquitos up north too! You only offer protection based on a season...this is a year round problem....

And btw, I did mention southeast. We do have gophers, tortoises. Rarely does a dog or cat "eat"one.

Live in my state for one month.

By Northern climates I meant the COLD parts of Canada where heartworm is almost unknown.

and here's a peer reviewed study from a vet journal to prove my point

http://www.ovc.uoguelph.ca/PathoBio/Heartworm/WC-HW-00.pdf

and my original point was that intestinal parasites are carried by birds all over without a doubt.

Karin
December 18th, 2004, 10:02 PM
By Northern climates I meant the COLD parts of Canada where heartworm is almost unknown.

and here's a peer reviewed study from a vet journal to prove my point

http://www.ovc.uoguelph.ca/PathoBio/Heartworm/WC-HW-00.pdf

and my original point was that intestinal parasites are carried by birds all over without a doubt.

I do doubt that...what studies are accredit...sounds like you have studied the entire continent.

Gazoo
December 18th, 2004, 10:14 PM
I do doubt that...what studies are accredit...sounds like you have studied the entire continent.

Wow you are just a ray of sunshine aren't ya?

Birds and rodents EVERYWHERE on our continent (and I imagine the world) carry parasites/worms like tapeworm and ringworm etc. .... plain and simple. It's what they do. That's why they're called rodents.

How about YOU find somewhere on the continent where rodents and birds do not carry parasites????

By saying they don't carry them where its cold you're doing an injustice to people whom are here that might believe you. I'm in Calgary for krissake and we have them here!!!

Karin
December 18th, 2004, 10:23 PM
Wow you are just a ray of sunshine aren't ya?

Birds and rodents EVERYWHERE on our continent carry parasites/worms like tapeworm and ringworm etc. .... plain and simple. It's what they do.

How about YOU find somewhere on the continent where rodents and birds do not carry parasites????

By saying they don't carry them where its cold you're doing an injustice to people whom are here that might believe you. I'm in Calgary for krissake and we have them here!!!

NOT all birds and rodents carry parasites...go ahead...instill a greater fear in people with that notation on your great wisdom...gee, we need more of that attitude!

Good Grief!

Karin
December 18th, 2004, 10:25 PM
Btw, what's a "krissake"?

Gazoo
December 18th, 2004, 10:29 PM
NOT all birds and rodents carry parasites...

Never said that anywhere. What I said was birds and rodents EVERYWHERE on our continent carry parasites. Which is true.

....and if people have cats that eat birds or rodents they should deworm them regularly to maintain the health of the pet and their people.

Ya can't argue with that reasoning..............ya just cant. :p

Karin
December 18th, 2004, 10:51 PM
Your abundance of knowledge amazes me....boggle's my mind...

Ringworm is actually carried by these birds & rodents you speak of?

For example, of course.

Please explain further.

Gazoo
December 18th, 2004, 11:01 PM
Your abundance of knowledge amazes me....boggle's my mind...

Ringworm is actually carried by these birds & rodents you speak of?

For example, of course.

Please explain further.

meant to say roundworm.

and again..................... you're a bright ray of sunshine.

Karin
December 18th, 2004, 11:15 PM
Thank You..

Writing4Fun
December 18th, 2004, 11:32 PM
Give it BACK to the cat!
LOL! Guess I should have specified in my original post. Phoebe is a dog. I doubt she killed it herself. More likely it was the elements or another predator left it behind. We've been gone all day, so it's still out on the back deck. :yuck: If none of the neighborhood cats retrieve it overnight, I'll take a very looooong-handled shovel and heave it into the farm field bordering our yard. Our local carrion-eating beasts should appreciate it.:p Thanks for the reassurance, folks.

chico2
December 19th, 2004, 08:24 AM
W4F,you are funny.. :D You should bury the poor Robin,I LOVE Robins,the symbol of spring,a dead bird,especially a beautiful Robin is nothing yucky but kind of sad :sad:
Unfortunately I've noticed some Robins do not fly south and they will more than likely die,I put out raisins and other fruit for them,since they cannot get to worms in the frozen ground :crazy:
My cats,never eat anything they very rarely catch,not even a mouse,they will play with it until I rescue it and throw it over to my surly neighbor.
Birds usually"play dead"hanging limply in the cats mouth,only to amazingly fly off at the first opportunity :thumbs up
Since I am outside with my cats and watch them watch the birdfeeders I can intervene if a bird is dumb enough to get too close to the cats :D

krdahmer
December 19th, 2004, 12:58 PM
Oh Chico, Windy is soooooo jelous of Rocky.... you should see her eye those doves, they're her favorite. Must be all the jerky head movements. And LMAO he does look so proud of his frozen prize!!!! (Poor dove :sad: .)LOL

Karin
December 19th, 2004, 06:42 PM
LOL! Guess I should have specified in my original post. Phoebe is a dog. I doubt she killed it herself. More likely it was the elements or another predator left it behind. We've been gone all day, so it's still out on the back deck. :yuck: If none of the neighborhood cats retrieve it overnight, I'll take a very looooong-handled shovel and heave it into the farm field bordering our yard. Our local carrion-eating beasts should appreciate it.:p Thanks for the reassurance, folks.

Oops!

Still...give it BACK to the cat!

Rotflmsao!..You may have cheated a poor cat of it's prize...

Writing4Fun
December 19th, 2004, 08:41 PM
Well, it was still there this morning, so I guess none of the neighborhood cats wanted the bird-sicle. Chico, I'm very sorry. I love robins, too. But there is no way in heck I'm going to chisle my way through several feet of snow and permafrost in minus-thirty-four degree temps to give this thing a proper burial, nor am I going to store it until the spring thaw. As it was, the wind and deep-freeze we experienced today stopped me from traipsing all the way to the back of what suddenly seemed like an endless back yard. I wound up putting it in a garbage bag (still using the looong-handled shovel :yuck: ) and into our bin for Wednesday's pick-up. Phoebe is still doing fine, no signs of any parasites (although she misses her frozen toy terribly).

By the way, Chico, I think Rocky is one handsome dude. He definitely looked like he was getting in touch with his Tiger ancestry that day. Almost looks like he wanted to let out a roar! :thumbs up

Karin, I have to ask. Did you ever live in Montreal and work for an insurance company? I've been reading your posts lately, and your tone and "mannerisms" (such as they are on-line) remind me very strongly of a woman I used to work with named Karen (sp?). You wouldn't happen to be a "Hitchhiker's Guide" fan, would you?

Karin
December 19th, 2004, 08:49 PM
Well, it was still there this morning, so I guess none of the neighborhood cats wanted the bird-sicle. Chico, I'm very sorry. I love robins, too. But there is no way in heck I'm going to chisle my way through several feet of snow and permafrost in minus-thirty-four degree temps to give this thing a proper burial, nor am I going to store it until the spring thaw. As it was, the wind and deep-freeze we experienced today stopped me from traipsing all the way to the back of what suddenly seemed like an endless back yard. I wound up putting it in a garbage bag (still using the looong-handled shovel :yuck: ) and into our bin for Wednesday's pick-up. Phoebe is still doing fine, no signs of any parasites (although she misses her frozen toy terribly).

By the way, Chico, I think Rocky is one handsome dude. He definitely looked like he was getting in touch with his Tiger ancestry that day. Almost looks like he wanted to let out a roar! :thumbs up

Karin, I have to ask. Did you ever live in Montreal and work for an insurance company? I've been reading your posts lately, and your tone and "mannerisms" (such as they are on-line) remind me very strongly of a woman I used to work with named Karen (sp?). You wouldn't happen to be a "Hitchhiker's Guide" fan, would you?

No, if you do indeed read my posts you know where I am, and the reasoning behind my posts. You may also get a quick clue on who I am.

Read a little more.

Try again....

chico2
December 19th, 2004, 11:12 PM
W4F,I saw you are in Ontario so,dumb me assumed you have no snow,just because we don't have any in Oakville :rolleyes: we did however have -15C about 0 F....too darn cold :mad:
The Robin won't mind the garbage-bag :D

Writing4Fun
December 19th, 2004, 11:28 PM
Chico - nope, we're a little further north than you are. ;) No snow in Oakville? If you have a hankerin' for a white Christmas, I could arrange to FedEx some down your way. I won't miss it - honest!

Karin - see, now that sounded exactly like something the Karen I used to know would say. :p Yes, I saw that you're in Florida (lucky bugger). People do move, though, so I thought I'd ask anyway because the similarities are uncanny.:D

glasslass
December 20th, 2004, 04:08 PM
No snow in the Central Valley of California; no frozen birdies! Because of fears of West Nile Virus which has recently reached the west coast, we are told to report all dead birds we might find to the county so that they can be collected and examined.

Writing4Fun
December 20th, 2004, 06:08 PM
Yes, we were told to report dead birds because of West Nile during the summer. The "bug" wouldn't be able to survive this deep freeze, would it??

glasslass
December 20th, 2004, 07:53 PM
I don't know - we don't have many deep-freezes here. I believe the mosquitos are killed off by the freeze, but they always seems to come back when it warms up.

Karin
December 20th, 2004, 09:10 PM
It's a virus, it will survive. We have many deep freeze's in Florida but West Nile alway's returns. Same as EIA.

It's gonna be about 19 degrees or less here tonight. Florida does get cold, it's not the mouse sipping orange juice on a sandy beach under a palm tree.

Come March the alerts will be out again. We had 2 human cases last year and 12 equine, 3 others of West Nile and many encephlatitis cases, in my neighborhood alone.

I must be immune...not joking. Exposure is like self vaccinating.

chico2
December 20th, 2004, 11:22 PM
Well,here in Southern Ontario West Nile killed off 6 of"my"7crows and Chickadees,I had only a couple last summer.
The one remaining crow,who is lame in his leg,found a mate and they had two babies and I was exstatic(it does not take much!!)they are my garbage-disposal,eat all my leftovers :thumbs up