Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Licking "down there"

Freyja
December 17th, 2004, 11:15 PM
Hi,

Lindy is doing a lot of licking in the area commonly known as "down there". This is new for her. I cannot tell if she is licking at her anus or her urethra. I have tried to have a look and cannot see any area of irritation, redness or swelling.
She is spayed, about one year old, she eats Nutram. She doesn't exhibit any problems voiding or defecating.

Any thoughts?

CyberKitten
December 17th, 2004, 11:24 PM
She may well just be grroming herself. Unless it's excessive and she continues to do it more often, it is probably normal. (She is obviously past the doscobery stage if she is 1).

You could call and ask your vet though because she could be sore there, have an anal sack that is uncomfortable and apparently, cats with worms will spend extra time cleaning themselves.

This is all explained in this article:

http://www.ivillage.com/pets/petsymptomsolver/hindquarters/pages/0,,535948_445668,00.html?arrivalSA=1&cobrandRef=0&arrival_freqCap=1&pba=adid=12828948

I hope it is nothing - just a passing phase!

Lucky Rescue
December 18th, 2004, 10:43 AM
You may not see any discharge as it's possible she is keeping it licked off.

Check when she wakes up or when you're walking her. If you see any discharge, she may have a vaginal infection.

You say the licking is something new, so I would have it checked out.

Karin
December 18th, 2004, 03:44 PM
Hi,

Lindy is doing a lot of licking in the area commonly known as "down there". This is new for her. I cannot tell if she is licking at her anus or her urethra. I have tried to have a look and cannot see any area of irritation, redness or swelling.
She is spayed, about one year old, she eats Nutram. She doesn't exhibit any problems voiding or defecating.

Any thoughts?

My first wild stab at a guess would be a urinary track infection. Excessive licking "down there" is a common sign. ( It burns!)

Note: "down there" as a desciption is okie dokie for humans, but for people that walk on four legs.."over there" may sound better...lol!

Think about it...

chico2
December 18th, 2004, 04:59 PM
LOL Karin...I just love your sense of humour :thumbs up Must be the Swede in you,I am kind of weird myself :crazy: ooops,not meaning you're weird,just funny(not funny,funny!) :D Better quit while I'm ahead!!! :D :D :D

Karin
December 18th, 2004, 05:09 PM
LOL Karin...I just love your sense of humour :thumbs up Must be the Swede in you,I am kind of weird myself :crazy: ooops,not meaning you're weird,just funny(not funny,funny!) :D Better quit while I'm ahead!!! :D :D :D

"Us" Swedes had to embrace the fact..long ago, we were nutty. Comes with the territory...since few nuts are native, we had to grow our own after relocating....did not work out too well, huh? lmao...

Apoligies for any thread hijacking....

meb999
December 18th, 2004, 06:10 PM
Note: "down there" as a desciption is okie dokie for humans, but for people that walk on four legs.."over there" may sound better...lol!

Think about it...

LOL :D
I never though of it that way!! I laughed so hard, I almost peed myself...down there

Catt31
December 18th, 2004, 06:52 PM
What about "back there"??? That could work too I guess!!! LOL

Jane - I hope Lindy is ok!! Please update us on her as soon as you know something!! I know you have a busy weekend, but let us know!!! :grouphug: We'll be praying for her and her HOO-HOO!! LMAO!!!!

Freyja
December 18th, 2004, 07:42 PM
I actually had a client that called it her "hoo-hoo".
Lindy seems fine, I will keep an eye on things "back there"
Thanks for the info, UTI, vag infections, at least my clients don't have anal sacs!!!!!

Jane (the midwife)

Catt31
December 18th, 2004, 07:49 PM
LMAO Jane!!! I think Brick popped one of his anal sacs the other day...the STENCH!!!!! I nearly died...my eyes were watering sooo bad!!! Our dachsie used to have that problem a lot when we were growing up!! UGH!!!!
Wish Cailleigh a happy happy birthday from Brick!!!! ;)

Karin
December 18th, 2004, 09:08 PM
A "hoo hoo".? Oh my!

*Writing this one down for future use.*

lmao!