Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Dog Dragging Bottom on Carpet

dublinbay
December 17th, 2004, 07:53 PM
Our two year old female Bluetick Coonhound has started dragging her bottom across the floor. She tends to do it on the area carpet or sometimes our bed. She is also licking a fair bit. I have done a bit of research and have discovered that it is her anal glands. Will this habit clear up on its own or should we take her to the vet? She's new to us as we rescued her, so we don't want to run to the vet if it is something that will clear up on its own. What might have caused this? There's been no change to her diet since
we've got her in October.

Cheers!

Trinitie
December 17th, 2004, 07:57 PM
If the problem is new, and there's been no change in her food, she needs to have a vet look at the anal glands. It doesn't cost much to do, from what I hear. I've never been blessed with anal gland problems on my dog.

Scooting on the carpet can mean different things. It could mean her bum is itchy, or maybe she has worms, or maybe the anal glands need attention. Only a vet will be able to diagnose properly.

Good luck. Let us know what the vet says.

meb999
December 17th, 2004, 10:48 PM
Our 2 bichons used to do that alot. It was an anal gland problem...they had to be emptied regularly :yuck:
I was young when we had those dogs (around 12 years old), but as the 'designated' trainer and bather of the dogs, I was the lucky one to do it!
The vet will show you how to empty the glands (if that"s what the problem is), it's a little gross, but if you do it while giving them a bath, you can rinse it away fast.
Good Luck

anniebananie
December 18th, 2004, 11:24 AM
It could also be worms :eek: I am having the same problems with my JR at the moment. Her anal gands are clear - checked those the other day, so she is now being wormed. The second dose is in about 3 weeks. That will teach her to catch a rabit (in the back garden) and eat it :p

dublinbay
December 20th, 2004, 11:15 AM
Thanks evertyone for your help. I brought Pepper to the vet this morning and he drained her anal glands. I'm glad it wasn't anything more serious. Tho he did say she could lose a bit more weight, something a girl never likes to hear... ;)

Trinitie
December 20th, 2004, 11:20 AM
Glad to hear it's something easily remedied!

Now she'll have clear glands for Christmas. No scooting in family photos! :D

SarahLynn123
December 20th, 2004, 12:29 PM
Belle had that same problem, our vet suggested adding pumpkin to her diet to help the glands empty on their own, or sneak some metamucil (spelling?) to her food.

whinnie-boo
December 20th, 2004, 12:46 PM
Whinnie does that all the time. Most dogs need their glands cleaned regularly, and normally the groomer does it everytime your pet is in for a bath, a brush, or a haircut. Whinnie & Boo are short haired & Mommy cuts their nails herself, so they don't have the luxury of a spa day. I had my vet show me how to clean them myself. It is not pleasant, but you do what you have to to take care of your kids. When Whinnie starts dragging, its right into the shower. I find that she needs to have it done usually every 5-6 months. If I do clean them myself, I try only to try once or twice, if I can't relieve her, she goes right into the vets office, I never allow for any complications. When my Moms Lhasa starts dragging, it time to schedule a haircut. I would never try to help him, he's little & evil. I can do things to my Pit's that I would never think of doing to my Mom's baby. I swear by the fact that the little ones are more dangerous, and I don't go there.

Glad that you checked it out at the vet & baby's bum is back to normal :p
I'm certain it is unpleasant, but are the bum drags not the cutest thing in the world!! :crazy: