Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Cats behaviour problems

LoriA
December 17th, 2004, 07:49 PM
We have an older cat, who has been living with my friend for 3 years. This is because we found out my youngest son is allergic. He is currently 14 years old. He has recently started attacking them and anyone in their home. He has been to the vet. He had a full exam and blood work and nothing was found. We are at a loss. He is coming back to live with us as it is too much for my firnds to handle as he is now starting to lunge from across the room, bite (drawing blood), growl and hiss. Does anyone have any suggestions. Is senility and aggression common as a cat gets older. Other than this he is very fit, quite active and a beautiful guy. The only thing his blood work showed was an overactive thyroid, which we think he has had all his life as he has always been skinny and very active.

Lucky Rescue
December 17th, 2004, 09:22 PM
ARe you giving him medication for his thyroid problem? Hyperthyroidism CAN cause unexplained aggression in both cats and dogs.

With appropriate meds, he should stop this behavior.

LoriA
December 18th, 2004, 12:34 PM
We are not treating his hyperthyroid as the vet says it is just under the limit for treatment. It is high but not at medication level.

Lucky Rescue
December 18th, 2004, 12:49 PM
When was the last time he had blood work done? He is elderly now and his condition may have changed for the worst.

http://www.sniksnak.com/cathealth/aggression.html

An exerpt from the article.

"Infectious agents such as rabies, hormonal imbalances such as hyperthyroidism.......can cause or predispose a cat to aggression",

LoriA
December 18th, 2004, 12:59 PM
He last visited the vet 1 week ago. That was when he had another full exam and the blood work. He had just been checked a few months before this as he needed his yearly needles etc. He has been given a clean bill of health both times. So that is why we are so confused.

Karin
December 18th, 2004, 04:00 PM
We have an older cat, who has been living with my friend for 3 years. This is because we found out my youngest son is allergic. He is currently 14 years old. He has recently started attacking them and anyone in their home. He has been to the vet. He had a full exam and blood work and nothing was found. We are at a loss. He is coming back to live with us as it is too much for my firnds to handle as he is now starting to lunge from across the room, bite (drawing blood), growl and hiss. Does anyone have any suggestions. Is senility and aggression common as a cat gets older. Other than this he is very fit, quite active and a beautiful guy. The only thing his blood work showed was an overactive thyroid, which we think he has had all his life as he has always been skinny and very active.

He is a strictly indoor cat right?

LoriA
December 18th, 2004, 04:30 PM
He originally was a barn cat when we rescued him from a local farm. But he was only 4 months old then. He has only been indoor since then except for the odd romp ion the summertime. He likes to sneak out occasionally but rarely.

chico2
December 18th, 2004, 04:36 PM
There is always a reason why an otherwise friendly cat turns aggressive,if I were you I would get a second opinion,seeing the way he reacts,meds is the only solution.
At 14 I don't think he has a senility problem and I have never heard of aggression in senile cats,more likely they would be lazy and sleep most of the day.

Karin
December 18th, 2004, 04:52 PM
There is always a reason why an otherwise friendly cat turns aggressive,if I were you I would get a second opinion,seeing the way he reacts,meds is the only solution.
At 14 I don't think he has a senility problem and I have never heard of aggression in senile cats,more likely they would be lazy and sleep most of the day.

I am worried for the most part...any neurological disease that any out door cat can pick up.

Tis the season for rabies also...Cats do get the furious form, they become aggressive ...I would love to hear this is not possible right now.

There is only one test to confirm.

IF the cat was outdoors you need to report this asap with any injuries., such as breaking of the skin or biting.

LoriA
December 18th, 2004, 07:34 PM
He hasn't been outside since the summer. He is fully vaccinated and covered for all the regular stuff.