Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Housetraining Frenzy!!

Joelle
December 17th, 2004, 04:55 PM
Hi Everyone,

I just got a new Sheltie maybe three weeks ago and he's a total sweetie smartie...EXCEPT He's pretty much housetrained WHEN I AROUND AND WATCHING! I soon as I turn my back to do something or go to another room for 30 seconds he's goes off to do his thang! :yuck: And by the looks of it I'm pretty sure he knows its wrong because he'll delibrately avoid the "soiled" area...

What should I do...Crate him most of the day unless I can pay FULL attention to him? Help!

Thank you,

Joelle

Batman
December 17th, 2004, 05:15 PM
Hi Joelle,
I have had my pup for 5 weeks now and just in the last 2 weeks he has be really good about attempting to let us know when he has to do. He will stand by the door, stare at the bell (we are bell training), or just get this look on his face that lets me know he has to go. As well at this point I will just 'sense' when he has to go. I have learned to pay attention to my intuition. If the thought that he might have to go comes to mind I take him outside.

I would recommend either crating him when you can't watch him or having him on his leash so that you are forced to keep an eye on him at all times. I had a really hard time with this the first little while because he had to go all the TIME! And if I looked away for a second he had peed. Now at 13 weeks if he has just peed I can let him play while I say... type at the computer) ;) He is still close and always in eye shot or a call away.

Here are some tips that have helped me!

[list]
Use a word to let him know you want him to go. We say "Hurry Up" as he sniffs around. He now understands what that means.
Give him a small treat immediatly after he does his business outside. I didn't like this idea at first... but as soon as we started using it he became much more reliable. After more than 2 weeks of doing that he give him a treat about half the time for going outside.
We have a bell on a string that hangs by the door to 'outside'. We take his paw and ring it before he goes out, in the hopes that eventually he will start ringing it to let us know he needs to go.
Watch him like a HAWK! An accident WILL happen if you don't. If you can't watch him he has to be in the crate or on a leash at your side (until he is
Try keeping a log of when he eats, sleeps, pees, poops etc... so that you can find a pattern in how many times and how often he has to go. This really helped us.
Never get mad at him if you find a puddle or pile and he off playing. Just clean it up and remind yourself to keep a better eye on him next time.
Clean all soiled areas with a Pet cleaner like "Petzyme" or there is a natural one... can't remember the name.

I am sure the experts will have more advice for you.

I would just like to add that I have always used potty time as training time as well. He has to sit before he comes inside and stay until I say "ok" to come in. Now he just automatically sits at the door to get let in.

This is my first dog and I am amazed at how much a little puppy can learn. I read through several books and most of the posts on this board and it has made a HUGE HUGE difference. :D

BMDLuver
December 17th, 2004, 05:44 PM
Hi Joelle,
Have Helen from Animatch explain to you the benefits of umbilical cord training for housebreaking this habit. It's a theory she often uses and has had success with it.

Batman
December 17th, 2004, 07:03 PM
Here is a great site discussing housetraining (http://minpins.mgbeng.com/training/housebreaking.html)

Joelle
December 18th, 2004, 12:26 PM
Thanks for the tips! Greatly appreciated!!! :D It was my fault since I since as soon as he was becoming "reliable" I stopped going out in the backyard with him becuase it was too cold. :sad: Stupidity on my part... Anyways, I started a training log today, listing the times he eats, sleeps, pees and poos. I hope it'll help. As for the imbilical cord method I know its a great method by the problem is that he's leash distance away when he does these things although now I think will give it a try!

Batman->I read and printed out the potty training article! :) And your advice too! Thank you so much!!!

Thank you!!!