Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Sneezing cat

SarahLynn123
December 17th, 2004, 10:19 AM
My cat has been sneezing an awful lot lately and Im wondering if this is normal. This is the first winter I have had him, so Im wondering if it may be a cold. My dog had also been sneezing lately but only a few times a day, and the cat about a dozen or more. Should I be worried? Also my cat has breathing problems (wheezing) so perhaps hes just trying to clear his sinus to breath better. The vet said not to worry about the breathing unless he starts to pant, which he hasnt but that was before all the sneezing.

Trinitie
December 17th, 2004, 10:24 AM
I would call the vet and tell him about the sneezing and that the breathing hasn't gotten better. It may be a sign of respritory problems - perhaps a bad cold or more. Call him for advice and let us know what he says.

lezzpezz
December 17th, 2004, 10:35 AM
Have you recently turned on your furnace? My dog starts sneezing whenever the furnace first kicks on for the season and then we know it's time to change the filters! Could there be alot of dust and pollen blowing around from the vents? Just a thought if you live in a colder climate....if not, keep an eye out for any discharge from eyes/nose and if the cat is at all listless, (not moving around much or interested in food). If the latter is the case, you should seek medical assistance for your cat.

SarahLynn123
December 17th, 2004, 11:41 AM
The furnace!!!! Its a pretty good chance that the furnace is the culprit, I have just moved in a few months ago and would be surprised if it even had filter in it. Im going to call the vet anyway (no answer yet) just to make sure its not something more serious I will let you know what she says.
Thanks!

lezzpezz
December 17th, 2004, 11:58 AM
Yes do let us know. It is always nice to know the outcome. Sometimes slight changes in our environment can affect our pets dramatically, as may be the case here. (Let's hope it is as simple as a furnace filter!) Either way, we wish you the best and would be interested in knowing if your pets are alright.

SarahLynn123
December 17th, 2004, 12:25 PM
My vet said to keep an eye out for discharge, if things dont get any better, or even get worse (sneezing wise) he will be paying a visit tomorrow morning, they will get him in whether they have room or not. They are worried it might be upper respiratory something. I cant remember. Hopefully its just the furnace!

lezzpezz
December 17th, 2004, 12:31 PM
Good luck! ;) We hope it's just the furnace as well!

Trinitie
December 17th, 2004, 12:47 PM
I also hope it's the furnace! I'd hate to think the poor cat isn't feeling well. Good luck.