Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

One dog licks the other dog's bum

Guinness
December 16th, 2004, 08:16 AM
We have two dogs - a 3-yr old collie/shepherd male (Guinness) and a 2-yr old border collie/lab female (Gryphon). Both have been "fixed" and Guinness is the dominant of the two. For a while now, Guinness has taken to licking Gryphon's bum after she's been out in the yard, doin' her business. Occasionally there has been a bit of a fishy odour after he licks, but not consistently. The weird thing is that every time he licks her, he gets what we call "shaky jaw" - his jaw starts to quiver, and it won't stop for about two minutes. However, when we distract him (start a game, call the dogs over for a quick lesson) the shaking stops. We're just wondering why his jaw starts shaking in the first place, and whether we should discourage the licking behaviour.

Trinitie
December 16th, 2004, 11:41 AM
If you dog's bum has a fishy type odor, then the anal glands need attention, or at least that's the most likely assumption. You should bring the dog to the vet to be sure.

The other dog is licking because of the odor and taste. The quivering jaw may be a result of the taste. But, when you bring the other dog to the vet, ask him just to be sure.

Lucky Rescue
December 16th, 2004, 12:00 PM
There could also be a vaginal infection. Have you seen any discharge? The vet will tell you this with a simple swab.

Karin
December 16th, 2004, 07:30 PM
I'm with the prior posters...infection is a flag here. Uti does come to mind first, but only a vet visit will tell...they have the equipment in house.

Butt smells are gross, worse if they come in a kiss.

Guinness
December 22nd, 2004, 07:03 PM
Thanks for the advice. We took Gryphon into the vet this week. She had her anal glands emptied and was prescriped ApoMetronidazole. She's been on it for a day and a half and I haven't noticed Guinness bothering with her butt anymore. Mind you, with the holidays upon us, I haven't paid as much attention to them when they're hanging out together. :-)