Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Dog eating cat food and cat eating dog food

lilpaws
December 15th, 2004, 03:26 PM
Why does my cat like the dog food better and why does my dog like the cat food? Is it a jealousy thing or does it taste better to them. Everyday I am switching them around. There food dishes are at the opposite ends of the kitchen. How bad is it for them? Maybe I should just feed them the other?
Also, and yes the kitty box is always tidy as the dog likes the "kitty tootsie rolls". I think I have pets with eating disorders! lol

Joelle
December 15th, 2004, 04:36 PM
HEY LILPAWS!!!

I have a cat and a puppy and I have the SAME SAME problem as you!!!! :eek: I know that my dog eats the cat food because it smells more and has more protein and stuff (tastier...since cats are picky eaters). However I have NO IDEA why my cat also tends to eat dog food! Maybe they wanted to try something new! :rolleyes: Who knows?! And as for the litter box thing...I found my pup with a tootsie roll as well...GROSS! I can't believe he tries to lick me after too!!!! :yuck:

Well, I hope we can both find someone to help us out with this problem.

Joelle

twinmommy
December 15th, 2004, 09:02 PM
Hi guys!!

Eating poop is never a good thing.... :rolleyes: Not to mention clumping litter can cause a lot of problems for a dog's stomach.
As for the dog/cat food, Cat food is lacking in Vitamin D, which dogs need for good vision.

Best have each their own food.

GsdDiamond
December 15th, 2004, 10:00 PM
Put the litter box up where the dog can't get it, or behind a gate that only the cat can jump. That'll help with the "choco-kitty logs".

Dog food and cat food are formulated specifically for each species. For each to eat the other's food, solely, will do them harm in the long run as they won't get the nutrients they need. Put the cat food up where the dog can't get it, and only feed the dog at specific times to keep the cat away. Feed them at the same time so they're occupied with their own food.

Good luck!!!