Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Neighbor's dogs won't stop barking... EVER... Ultrasonic anti-barking device?

andyK
December 13th, 2004, 09:42 PM
I moved into a house with my new wife about three months ago and the neighbor has two dogs that they leave outside. The dogs bark..... and bark.... and bark.... you get the idea. I believe one is old and may be partially blind, because it just stands there and looks blank, but barks constantly. I am thinking of buying a device that emits an ultrasonic sound that only animals can hear and is supposed to be effective from about 50ft away. That would be plenty of range. I am just wondering if anybody has had experience with these devices? Do they work? I'm at the end of my rope. I hear them when I sleep, early in the morning when I'm getting ready for work, when I'm at home in the evening..... They just don't tire themselves out. Any advice would be appreciated.

Lucky Rescue
December 13th, 2004, 09:55 PM
This definitely constitutes a nuisance, and rather than getting any devices, you should call the police and/or animal control. These dogs could be neglected and may need help.

andyK
December 14th, 2004, 08:14 AM
I don't believe the dogs are neglected. They have shelter outside and it looks like fresh water and food. The owner is an elderly woman with a younger family member living with her to help her out. She lets the dogs inside periodically during the day and most of the night... So they probably spend about half of a 24hr period inside, but the entire time they are outside they are barking. do you know if the devices work? I just think that they need a little deterrent. This device may also help me out in the long run because I am thinking of buying a dog.

Dukieboy
December 14th, 2004, 08:26 AM
Is it legal to use this device with the intent for someone elses animal without advising the owner?

mona_b
December 14th, 2004, 08:26 AM
Well I can't say I have heard of that devise.My suggestion is that you go talk to the younger family member and tell that person that the dogs barking constently is a nuisanse.Seems to me that the barking may be caused by boredom.Is anyone out there playing with them?Are they going for walks?Put a dog out in the back and leave them on their own and trust me,they will be barkers.

sujean
December 14th, 2004, 08:38 AM
i had this problem with one of my rear neighbors. many neighbors confronted the dog's owner about her incessant barking and she swore up and down that it couldn't possibly be her dog. so one day, i recorded the barking from my house and called the community security guards. they went over and spoke with her and this subsided the barking for awhile. but sure enough it started again. the next step, according to our security people, is to call the poilce.

i would suggest letting authorities handle the situation. i have not heard anything negative about this device which you speak of but would you want someone controlling your animals beahvior without your knowledge? that's a little big brotherish, if you ask me.

andyK
December 14th, 2004, 08:42 AM
I've spoken with the neighbor about the dogs before and my wife said that she's heard the neighbor try to quiet the dogs down before, but it doesn't work. Mona is right, the dogs don't get played with outside from what I can tell... They've just learned that this is the way to entertain themselves I suppose. I don't want to call animal control or public safety just because I don't want to start more problems than I would by just puting one of these things up on the side of my house. Here's a link to a similar product just so everybody will know what I'm talking about....

http://www.gooddeals.com/shopexd.asp_Q_id_E_101

Schwinn
December 14th, 2004, 08:47 AM
Is it legal to use this device with the intent for someone elses animal without advising the owner?

I wouldn't think so. If it's similar to what I'm thinking of, it also keeps the squirrels and other small woodland creatures out of the garden.

As to it being "big brotherish", I can understand that, but I can also understand the frustration of having an inconsiderate neighbour. Personally, I'd say you could either try talking to the neighbour, or try the device. It makes it easier than having bad blood with the neighbour. And I'm sure that the dogs will eventually become "trained" to not bark, so it won't be a permanent thing.

This is an idea that is a little "out there", but how well do you know the neighbour, and is it a privacy fence or a chain-link? Is it possible to get to know the dogs? Then you might be able to train them the way you would with your own dog, just leaning out and telling them to stop barking, much like you would with your own dog. Just a thought, and it might be a little strange.

Dukieboy
December 14th, 2004, 08:52 AM
imho, I think you should advise the neighbour about your use of the device if you are going to use it. Photo copy the product info and give it to her.

sujean
December 14th, 2004, 08:54 AM
imho, I think you should advise the neighbour about your use of the device if you are going to use it. Photo copy the product info and give it to her.

if that's the case, maybe the neighbor really should be the one buying the device.

andyK
December 14th, 2004, 08:54 AM
First off... I really appreciate everybody's advice. I've only lived in this house for about three months and have only met the neighbors twice. Once just meeting them while I was working in my yard this fall, and the other time when I went to the door to talk to them about the dogs. Your Idea doesn't sound strange really... I thought of something like that too... Since they bark at me the entire time I'm out in my yard too I went over to pet the dogs. They came right to me and are very friendly, but now I think they bark at me for attention instead of being because they don't know me... Lose/Lose situation i guess. It's a chain link fence and there are numerous places where I could put this thing where nobody would ever even know. The "big brother" thing is a good point and one that I didn't really conisder before, but if the owner isn't doing anything about it I think somebody should. This just seems like the least intrusive way I've seen.

sujean
December 14th, 2004, 09:01 AM
you know, you may even try to find a toy they like to keep them occupied. if they are bored, they may just need some toys to play with...

the more i think of it, the more i think you may be on to something with this device. it's just too bad that you can't get the neighbor to at least share the cost of it.

good luck with it! :thumbs up

mona_b
December 14th, 2004, 09:50 AM
That actually looks like a cool devise.

The other thing I forgot to ask was if they had toys to play with?If not,maybe you can throw a couple of balls in there for them to play with.

It's going to take time to try and teach them to quiet down.Try and get friendly with the owner.Do you know the dogs names?Talk to the owner and just tell her that the dogs are barking out of boredom.Tell her a fib and say that you know someone who had a dog that barked all the time.And what you told your friend is that the dog needs more attention.Needs to be walked and played with.Needed more human contact.And just suggest that this could be the problem with her dogs.If there is nothing out in the back that the dogs are playing with,then suggest some Kongs filled with treats.If that doesn't help,then I would suggest you get this devise and see how it goes.

When I was living in T.O.My good neighbour 2 doors down had a Boxer.Diamond would bark all the time especially when my dogs where out in the back.Then my boys would start to bark bak at her.Guess they were talking to each other.LOL.All I would say is Diamond "enough" and she stopped.

Hmmmm,maybe that's why the previous owners of you house moved....LOL

db7
December 14th, 2004, 09:50 AM
Perhaps you should get the elderly woman a hearing aid. :evil:

GsdDiamond
December 14th, 2004, 09:57 AM
You seem very intent on getting this device whether we recommend it or not. In my opinion, since you're a new neighbour, I would suggest going to talk to the neighbour again. If you talked to the young person there, talk this time to the older one, or vise-versa.

When a dog barks in the backyard for no apparent reason, it's to get attention. It's lonely and wants companionship. I agree about trying a toy that the dog can play with. Even an old dog likes to play with squeaky toys. If you get this device, without talking to the neighbours, I would think that, if you're caught using it, you could be charged with harming someone else's dog. We don't know what that type of device does to drive away small animals, but if it does indeed keep squirrels and other rodents away it must be a high pitched device. Since dogs hear sounds we cannot, what kind of damage will this do to the dog that can't get away? Will it drive the dog crazy and cause more barking? Possibly. Anti-bark devices work on the premise that when the dog barks the device emmits a high pitch sound. But this only happens when the dog is barking.

The device you're talking about would be on constantly. The dogs wouldn't have a break from it other than when they're inside. And even then we don't know if they'd be able to hear it or not. Causing them to hear the noise only when they're outside can cause them to NOT want to go outside. This would result in a horrible situation for the dogs as they would be trying to disobay the owner, when the owner tries to put them out to go pee/poop. And, as we all know, every dog wants to please the owner.

In the end, this being all said, I think it would be cruel to use this device on the dogs. Get them a nice toy for Christmas, or a bunch of cheap squeaky toys. Give them a variety.

andyK
December 14th, 2004, 10:06 AM
you're right. I'll try the toys before I get the device.

GsdDiamond
December 14th, 2004, 10:09 AM
I'm glad!!!! After all....hurting the little tykes is the last thing you sound like you want to do!!! :thumbs up :thumbs up

If the toys don't work, talk to the owner. Maybe the older person has no idea that the dogs are barking! Old folks can be horribly hard of hearing. It's possible the young person doesn't give two hoots.

Schwinn
December 14th, 2004, 10:09 AM
The device you're talking about would be on constantly. The dogs wouldn't have a break from it other than when they're inside. And even then we don't know if they'd be able to hear it or not. Causing them to hear the noise only when they're outside can cause them to NOT want to go outside. This would result in a horrible situation for the dogs as they would be trying to disobay the owner, when the owner tries to put them out to go pee/poop. And, as we all know, every dog wants to please the owner.

In the end, this being all said, I think it would be cruel to use this device on the dogs. Get them a nice toy for Christmas, or a bunch of cheap squeaky toys. Give them a variety.

That's a good point.

mastifflover
December 14th, 2004, 10:10 AM
Actually it only emits the sound when they bark it is not on constantly. I used one in my loft when I had a dog with severe seperation anxiety it worked well. No barking, no noise and no harm to the dogs at least the one I used. I called the vet to ask about them and he said they will not harm the dog.

GsdDiamond
December 14th, 2004, 10:20 AM
One of the dogs appears to be old. If it's at the age that it's hearing is shot (which is highly possible), then it may not hear the device and would keep barking. It it does, the other dog would get no break from the device. Or if another dog in the neighbourhood starts to bark, but is out of range of the emmissions of the device, then the little dogs still get it, even though they did nothing. It worked for you, on your own dog, in your home. This is outside, where circumstances are unpredictable.

I still think it's better on the animal to try alternative methods before using this device.

After all other methods are exhausted (talking to the owner, talking to the local authoities to seek advice), then the device is a viable choice.

lezzpezz
December 14th, 2004, 10:26 AM
Having been down this road myself, it is absolutely amazing how fast a person will learn to take responsibility for keeping their dogs quiet after they have been spoken to by the police, followed by warning, then a charge. It becomes quite evident to the owner that unless they deal with their barking dogs, they will suffer the consequence of a court appearance and possibly, monetary punishment, and that usually solves the problem post haste. I do agree that you should try to speak to the neighbours as politely as possible and explain the distress you feel not only because of the incessant barking, but because you are new neighbours and you are now put in a position that makes you feel uncomfortable, as you have to confront the issue with them, and you feel for the dogs that seem to be lonely. Express that you have everybody's best interests at heart. Do not get sucked into a battle, but remain positive and do stand your ground: if the dogs are not kept quiet, you will be within your rights to call the authorities to maintain peace and quiet in your neighbourhood. The onus is on the owners to make the environment livable for all residents. Check your local noise bylaws. Use the resources available to you. That's why they are there, even if it seems petty and a waste of taxpayers' dollars, but when people don't follow the law, there are clear consequences.

mona_b
December 14th, 2004, 10:26 AM
And with this devise,you program it first.What I mean it can take effect on the first,second,third or fourth bark.And it knows the difference between just a bark or a nuisense bark...There is a difference in the 2 barks.

GsdDiamond
December 14th, 2004, 10:28 AM
You're very right. I've used bylaws and city ordanances to my advantage in the past. The system works if used as it was intended.

Good luck with the neighbour and let us know what happens!

Prin
September 10th, 2005, 10:03 PM
What I would do (but then I'm a **** disturber), I would tape them and then play it back for them when they get home.

"Turn it off!"
"What? You find it annoying?"
:evil: :evil: :evil:

melanie
September 11th, 2005, 04:44 PM
hey you must liveo n the other side of my neighbor, her dog is a bit annoying... the dog next door was barking constantly, any wind or anything off she would go. after repeated attempts to shut her up my self i just started n on the neighbor, if she barked at midnight i would go over at midnight and wake the neighbor, explain that shellys barking and could she shut her up, it only took a few midnight visits for shelly to be insode all night now, :D i think i was disturbing the neighbors waqking them, but it did gvie them a good idea of what we suffer, and their house is designed so they would not have heard her barking at night, so they were just a bit stupid but i soon got them on side...

so try that, at night when the dogs bark, go get the neighbor straight away, and do it at all hours of the night.

day time barking, well yes its annoying but i do believe dogs have a right to bark, and if their bored i think its easier on yoursel to take a sympathetic role, rather than let it bother you. as far as it goes around here the dog next door can bark all day for all i care now, ive moved past caring, but its nights i wont stan for and i foud that has made the diff, jsut having the quite nights.

as a neighbor i cant have everything, so im happy to settle for no barking at night, thats a comprimise to me, and yes if i go outside she barks, but i just talk to her and ignore it as much as possible, she is not loved like my dog so im willing to put up with a bit, i know she is unhappy so i dont hate her for it...

as far as devices go- well im not being harsh here jsut sharing my opinion, but i odnt think anyone has that right unless the law dictates such actions. yeah it will stop their constant barking, but it wont allow them to bark jsut for expression, of which they do have a right, all dogs have the right to bark and express, and i odnt think its fair to try and control that 100%, what about the dogs freedom??? and as a neighbor if anyone tried that on my dog and i found out, well i certainly woudl take alot more than legal action i can assure you, i think my actions would involve a base ball bat and alot of swinging, i love my dog and if anyone ever tried such a thing they would not know what hit them, i truly dont think you ahve the right to inflict so called 'humane' controls on anothers dog without using up all other avenuses of solution, and there are quite a few...

also any other dogs within 50m would experience it too, so it owuld affect all your neighboring dogs, not just these ones, and thats not fair at all....

food for thought, good luck i hope its sorted soon.....

coppperbelle
September 11th, 2005, 07:38 PM
Are any other neighbors being bothered by these dogs? I have a neighbor who has two dogs that bark constantly. Fortunately they are across the street and over a bit and I don't hear it but my other neighbors do. The police have been to the house a few times. The first two times they received a warning. After that they receive a ticket for $300.00 each and every time. Miraculously the barking has lessened as they are no longer left out in the backyard on their own.