Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Vaccination reaction...need help

watarski
December 14th, 2004, 03:37 AM
My 3 year old, 7 lb. Min-Pin had his yearly vaccinations 3 weeks ago. 17 days after the shots, he went to crap. Skin irritations, infected ears, swelled lymph nodes, pad and nail irritations, mild fever. I have learned tonight about anaphylactic reactions. He has been on an antibiotic for a week and an ingestible cortisone for almost a week. Today the vet gave us a new antibiotic to try. I am losing patience with this, and do not want to see my dog die...he's not getting better. Does anyone know what I might be able to do to speed up his recovery?

elfelda
December 14th, 2004, 11:20 AM
Did your veterinarian feel that these symptoms were a reaction to the vaccines? I have not heard of a reaction this long after vaccination. Normally such a severe reaction would occur within a few hours. Milder reactions occur after a day or two. Also, once treated, a vaccine reaction usually clears up quickly, since the exposure to the irritant is brief. Have you considered that some other allergen in the dogs environment may be the cause? New food (food allergies frequently result in skin irritation in dogs), new bedding (especially feather, or cedar), ragweed season, use of cleaning products in the home... If the allergen is still present, it may explain why the dog's skin is not clearing up, despite treatment. It may not even be something new, but something that has always been in the environment, and has only now reached the threshold causing an allergic reaction in your dog. First off, I would try a hypoallergenic diet. You may also consider allergy testing.