Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

My Dwarf Frog has issues

heidiho
December 13th, 2004, 10:23 PM
I got a dwarf frog to put in with my betta,they betta would nip at him and the frog liek when i turn the light on it the tank,zooms all over the tank freakin out..So i got him his own bowl well i never see him eat and last night i was watchin him he just doesnt swim around normal,he zooms around the tank,then like tries to get to the top of the tank then drops back down..DO they ever just swim around normal>??????????????????????/It is like he is on speed

Lucky Rescue
December 13th, 2004, 11:06 PM
What kind of tank is the frog in? What is the temp and setup?

Dwarf frogs need subdued light, a dark substrate and plant cover at the top of the tank. They should also have cover in the form of driftwood, stones or even the imitation caves sold in petstores.

What are you feeding it? These frogs are usually big eaters, but generally will not eat fish food, but must have worms, bloodworms and/or other live food.

Temp should be at least 75%. Never turn on the tank light when the room is dark, as dwarf frogs are nervous and this will startle them a lot.

heidiho
December 13th, 2004, 11:38 PM
OH ok thanks, that helps,i am feeding him bloodworms,he is in a tank with one plant,i dont know the temp,whatever my house is which is about 73.....The tank is not that big,it is a betta starter tank.....The plant is in the gravel should i let it float around??????

heidiho
December 13th, 2004, 11:39 PM
a dark substrate Call me dumb but what does that mean???

heidiho
December 13th, 2004, 11:49 PM
I was told at petsmart this would be a low maintenance deal....Not that i care,but do i need to get him a bigger tank////???? Do they need alot of room??

Lucky Rescue
December 13th, 2004, 11:55 PM
Sorry, the substrate is whatever is on the bottom of the tank - gravel in your case.

Make sure the water is very clean, and remember that these frogs will only eat food that sinks to the bottom, so frozen is better than dried.:)

If you use frozen bloodworms, brineshrimp, etc. put them in a fishnet and rinse thoroughly both to clean and thaw the worms or whatever and warm them up a bit.

If this is a Dwarf African frog, it's very tiny and a 1 gal tank should be plenty big.

heidiho
December 14th, 2004, 08:57 AM
How funny you say that,because it is DRIED bloodworms and they float at the top and he is like a dive bomber trying to get one....Ok i will get frozen ones....Thanks for the help........

heidiho
December 14th, 2004, 08:58 AM
P S Yeah is he very tiny...

Lucky Rescue
December 14th, 2004, 09:34 AM
If you use dried bloodworms, stick a little clump of them to the glass at the bottom of the tank so they will be easier for him to get at.

You said you've never seen him eat?

heidiho
December 14th, 2004, 11:31 AM
I did for the first time last night.......I have had him for about a week,never seen him eat,last night he was floating around when i put the bloodworms in he finally grabbed one and ate it.....

Rottimom
December 15th, 2004, 07:11 PM
Lol Heidi frog on speed. :) My dwarf frog used to do that too... zip up to the top then spread himself out and float down. I had him with my betta and other friendly fish and he thrived, but it was in a heated, filtered tank. It was rare that I actually saw him eat as well, but he must have as he lived a good life! Hope you are enjoying him, I think they are so cute. Have you ever seen a slimy thing floating in the tank? Mine used to do that, it was like he was shedding his skin.

heidiho
December 16th, 2004, 08:12 AM
Oh My God,Rottimom,thank god u said that that is EXACTLY what he does he zooms to the top then floats,i am llaughing my a** off over here,i thought he was just a nut,uh i feel so much better now,he just seems so restless,he like zooms around in there,like last night i am laying on the couch watching him and he is just flying around the tank...I still cant get over that u said that about the floating,have u ever noticed there tiny little veins i guess that is what they are in there legs???

Rottimom
December 17th, 2004, 01:37 PM
I can't say that I remember the veins. The slimy thing floating, to me it was like shed skin, but I don't know for sure. It was gross! My betta and dwarf frog used to cuddle. I swear. It was the strangest thing!

heidiho
December 17th, 2004, 02:11 PM
I just seem to pick agressive things in all area of my life,my betta and frog had to be seperated,the betta would nip at him.....

chico2
December 17th, 2004, 04:40 PM
Awwww Heidi,a dwarf-frog???Quite a big step from a GSD pup :D
That's soooo cute!! I hope your froggie will do ok,he's probably related to my husband(froggy from France!!) :crazy:

heidiho
December 20th, 2004, 11:06 AM
Yeah i know,not quite they same,but he is pretty cute,will hold me over til i get a dog.....

Sneaky
July 3rd, 2005, 06:19 PM
Hi,
I keep 5 of these little guys in my 75 gallon community tank.
Some other things they will eat:
Wardleys Shrimp Pellets
Wardleys Tropical Slow Sinking Crumbles
Tubifex worms (mush them in the water until they seperate and sink)
Frozen BloodWorms
Earthworms (make sure they are chopped up small enough so your
froggy doesnt choke on them).
African Dwarf Frogs are very cute, and depending on the actual
species, can get up to about 2.5 inches. Still pretty small as a frog goes.
Frogs are quite dirty, so keep up on the water changes, and be careful
to add dechlorinator like prime, frogs are very sensitive to chlorine.
If you had the space, you could also get a 5g tank, and 2 more froggies,
and have a veritable frog heaven!
I love them, I think once youve had one, you can never have enough! lol