Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

shivering koda

koda's Mom
December 13th, 2004, 10:24 PM
back with a question about Koda my Bichion Frise. I took Koda to the groomers this weekend and he was clipped pretty short. Now as we live in Manitoba it is very cold in the winter,and I was concerned that he might be cold, but he had to be clipped and cleaned up as he was starting to get mats in his hair. Now, Koda looks like he is shivering almost and doesn't seem himself at all. He is drinking and eatting and doing everything he should, but he has lost his spunk and bounce that he usually has. He came up the stairs this morning and he almost looked frightened. I did go yesterday and bought him a knitted coat which I put on him and left on him. he didn't seem to even want to play ball with us this morning. Do you think it could be that he is that cold in the house ? Or mabye he is shocked that he lost all his pretty hair ? I would love to hear any advise you may have - thanks

Copper'sMom
December 13th, 2004, 10:28 PM
Is it possible he had a bad experience with this groomer and is just scared??

chico2
December 13th, 2004, 10:43 PM
Yes,that's what I would think,were you present during the trimming??
Mind you,he's probably also cold having lost his furcoat :sad:

koda's Mom
December 13th, 2004, 10:58 PM
No, I was at the groomers for awhile, but I wasn't there when they were doing Koda. When I picked him up he seemed just fine, he was very happy to see me, and went running out to the car. His eye's seemed very happy, but now he is just sad :sad:

glasslass
December 13th, 2004, 11:56 PM
I know alot of poodles are very aware of how they look. Den-Den just prances and shows off when he's freshly groomed - because everybody tells him how pretty he is. He holds his tail so high! How have people been reacting to Koda? If they've laughed at him, or worse, acted like it was too bad his hair was cut so short, he may be feeling ashamed! :sad: They are so sensitive!

Lucky Rescue
December 14th, 2004, 12:09 AM
I don't pretend to know much about Bichons, but is there a reason to get a dog's hair cut so short in the winter?

Small body size + little hair = equals a lot of heat loss and he very well could be cold in the house too.

Sheriffmom
December 14th, 2004, 10:04 AM
We bought a "Soaker Jacket" from Chilly Dogs (link below). In the summer you can wet it down, so they don't overheat..... and in the winter you can put it in the dryer for a few minutes, then put it on him. He LOVES it. He's a Bulldog, so any extreme temps (cold/hot) affect him. My BF and I like the house cooler in the winter.... so this helps keep him toasty, and it's great to wrap him in after bath time too!!! Nice and toasty (be careful not too toasty though!!) for him. Looking forward to using it in the summer. (I think UGA (Football mascott) has one too, along with an A/C'd doghouse... for cheering his team on in the heat of the summer)!!! :D
PS-- We also got him the Chilly dog winter coat, it is sooooo nice, waterproof outside, polar fleece inside! He prances init.... wants everyone to see his special coat!!! Will post pictures soon!
http://www.chillydogs.ca/Chilly.htm

Bugsy
December 14th, 2004, 10:22 AM
I know alot of poodles are very aware of how they look. Den-Den just prances and shows off when he's freshly groomed - because everybody tells him how pretty he is. He holds his tail so high! How have people been reacting to Koda? If they've laughed at him, or worse, acted like it was too bad his hair was cut so short, he may be feeling ashamed! :sad: They are so sensitive!

Poor Koda... maybe a day at the spa. Or if that doesn't work maybe some... no no wait dogs can't have chocolate. How about a shopping spree? I know Ben & Jerry's :eek:

mona_b
December 14th, 2004, 10:26 AM
I have a friend with 2 Bichons.The groomer gives them what she call the "puppy" cut.Which if I recall is more or less a trim.This breed needs to be combed daily to lessen the matts.In the summer they get cut shorter.Me personaly,I like the "poofy" look of a Bichon.When you think about it,that's what a true Bichon looks like.

Koda's Mom can I make a suggestion?In the winter,just have Koda trimmed and not shaved down.And to prevent the matts,just do more brushing. :)

koda's Mom
December 14th, 2004, 11:48 AM
Thanks for all your feed back. We do comb Koda a lot, but because we suspect that he was not combed before we rescued him, it was not always an easy venture. He has come so far in the last 5 months that we have had him, and now allows us to pet him when ever we want, and also to come and snuggle with us when he is in the mood. He is allowing us to brush him more in the last month. I guess it is all about trust. We were very careful not to laugh or make fun of Koda when he got home, as we were shocked as the way he looked too, but we all told him what a pretty boy he is. The groomer explained to us that he was matted, and it would be very hard for him to sit to have a light cut. She thought that he would be okay for the winter, as I was concerned when I picked him up that he would be freezing !! Well last night I bought him some of this favorite treats and we are all giving him some extra love. It is much warmer in Manitoba today, so on with his sweater and out for a walk should boost the spirits. :)