Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

My cat is very thin, you can feel her bones but she eats/drinks and uses the litter.

LeXiee
December 12th, 2004, 03:44 PM
Hi,

My cat is about 5 years old. She was a always very small (still doesn't look like an adult cat). Anyways, I have noticed that she has lost weight. When you hold her she feels like a bag of bones. She however eats and drinks normally, and uses the litter box. She's an outdoor/indoor cat. But like all winters she pretty much stays inside right now (she doesn't like going out when it's too cold).

What can the problem be?

Thank you!

chico2
December 12th, 2004, 03:49 PM
Weight-loss could mean a lot of things,anything from cancer to thyroid-problems,serious or something easily corrected.The only way to find out is to take her to a vet,she's just a young cat and something is definetly wrong!

Lucky Rescue
December 13th, 2004, 11:18 PM
Your cat goes outside, and could have contracted a serious disease. At the very least she could have a large infestation of worms.

You must take her to the vet.

mona_b
December 14th, 2004, 09:07 AM
Ditto on taking the cat to the vets.Also obring in a stool sample.They can check for parasites.

krdahmer
December 14th, 2004, 11:30 AM
yep....stool sample asap....my thought right away is worms, my Smoke had tapeworms a couple years back with those same symptoms... healthy eating/drinking but losing weight... and actually has never gained all the weight back, she is still very thin, but healthy.

LeXiee
December 15th, 2004, 10:06 AM
Thanks for the info! I have an appointment with the vet. Could she still have worms even if I don't see some in her stool?

Lucky Rescue
December 15th, 2004, 11:03 AM
Could she still have worms even if I don't see some in her stool?

Yes. There are many kinds of worms and parasites and not all will show up in stool. Take a sample to the vet with you. Your cat will also need blood test to determine if there is diabetes, thyroid problems, or other illness or organ dysfunction.

Let us know!

Justanotherfile
February 9th, 2005, 05:22 AM
Firstly worm your cat with a wormer for all types of worms every three months more regulary if your cat is a 'hunter'.

Secondly bring the cat to the vets and if they can't find anything wrong with her request a blood test for F.e.l.v and F.i.v