Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

How to exercise a overly active dog?

KSD794
December 12th, 2004, 03:02 PM
Hi,
I have a 2 year old border collie x sheppard who has unending energy. He loves to run and run fast, but when he does he ends up hurting his feet. Either by running his pads raw or more recently he has split the same toe pad on each of his feet. I've tried getting him boots, but I can't find or make any durable enough to last more that one run. During the summer it's better because I can take him swimming and biking, but during the winter I have to resort to playing fetch and he could do that all day before becoming tired. Does anyone have any ideas, or suggestions?
Thanks,
KD

Lucky Rescue
December 12th, 2004, 04:32 PM
You can find very durable and long lasting boots at www.muttluks.com

What is he running on in the winter that is causing these injuries?

raingirl
December 12th, 2004, 04:55 PM
My friend had a poodle like that. Her poodle loved to run, and run fast. She would run so fast that three times she broke her leg while running (got tripped up running so fast). On the third time, the vet said that it will never heal right, and cause her more problems, so they put her down. It was sad.

There are some great doggy boots out there. maybe layer them? (put a soft sock like thing first, then a rubber boot over it??

KSD794
December 13th, 2004, 10:48 PM
He runs on a spot where he has the choice to run on grass, a sand path or a gravel road. Strangely enough he usually wants to run on the gravel road, which I think would hurt more than either the grass or sand path, but even when I call him over to the path he just comes over and then goes back to the road. The injuries don't seem to bother him very much and he always want to keep running. Thanks for the website, I can always give them a try and maybe they'll last :)
KD

Karin
December 13th, 2004, 11:50 PM
This may sound silly but I know many people & clinics that have treadmills made just for dogs. They are costly....but seem effective and the dogs love them. They still get their potty breaks of course.

I have no idea who makes them since this was never an option for Ciara, but I have seen some..

elfelda
December 14th, 2004, 10:38 AM
Definitely give the muttluks a try. They seem to be the toughest boots out there. I have had the same problem with my dal/pointer... her breeding means that she is not only hyper, but has the endurance to run 30 or 40 miles in a day! During the winter her pads would be cracked and bleeding from stepping on ice and twigs hidden under the snow. Last winter she got a very deep laceration between her toes (it was more like a hole) and I decided she needed boots. There are plenty of cheap ones out there, but half of them don't stay on, and none of them last more than a walk or two. A friend of mine who owns a dalmation in Newfoundland (lots of winter running!) recommended muttluks. They were a bit pricey but definitely worth the investment. And my poor dog doesn't limp all the time anymore!