Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Leashes

honeybee4
December 12th, 2004, 01:49 PM
I was just wondering how many people use a leash to keep their dogs in the yard? What is the norm for the lenght of the leash? Also what would be the best type of leash? I was using a leash that was a wire with was covered by plastic, clothes line type material. It broke last week because of the cold weather. The wire was exposed and the wire froze. Harley got loose and went next door to visit the dog that lives there. Just looking for some thoughts.

meb999
December 12th, 2004, 02:00 PM
Just curious...do you leave your dog outside?
I've found that the only way to keep a dog in the backyard is with a fenced in yard and supervision.
Good Luck!

Batman
December 12th, 2004, 04:28 PM
The dog owners I know usually let their dogs go free in the backyard and have put some money into either fencing their yard in, or dog proofing their current fence (making it go underground so the dog can't dig out). In my area I often see people put their dogs on a leash in the front yard. I live in an apartment so I can't do either, but with the leash I would worry about a/ it coming off somehow or b/ the dog somehow getting it wrapped around its neck.

I have also seen people who use those electric fences... but I know nothing about them.

tenderfoot
December 13th, 2004, 10:15 PM
We will be posting an alert soon making sure everyone is aware of the dangers of leaving your dog unattended with a collar on. We know of several(and there are hundreds more) stories of dogs injured or killed by their collars. I will have more to share in our posting. So please be careful - I cannot imagine how terrible anyone of us would feel if our dog was killed because we left their collar on.
Needless to say I cannot advise you to leave your dog tied out anywhere for anytime unless you are out there with him.

honeybee4
December 14th, 2004, 12:35 AM
We currently have him on a leash that is 30ft long. He hasn't had any trouble with it in the past, except the time it broke. We can't afford to put up a fence around our yard and in our city you are not allowed to let your dog out in your yard without a fence or a leash. He is not an outside dog much. He usually only goes out to pee or to play with the dog next door, which comes over to see him on his leash. note the dog next door's owners are breaking a city by law by letting her run loose. When we first got him I did but an underground electric fence, but he would run through it if he seen someone walking down the street cause he wanted to play. One day he ran through and the guy that we went up to and starting licking his hand started yelling at me to get my f*** dog away from him. So I stopped using the fence after that, plus I didn't like the idea of him getting shocked even when he went near the edge. Thanks for the responses.

mastifflover
December 14th, 2004, 12:47 AM
Thank you for not using an electric fence as they may keep your dog in they do not keep anything out so your dog can be attacked and will be shocked if it tries to run away. I know a breeder who just found out one of her dogs was being fenced with an electric fence and took the dog back and is now adding it ot her contract no electric fences.

This is the post from her
Last night I had a chat with Paula who owns our Kirk X Annie daughter Angelica and Dominic daughter Emma.
I was telling her how upset we are that a young male I had recently bought back from his owners had lied to me on their initial application and stated they had a fence. When I popped in for a visit the dog was laying alone on the front lawn with a very tight electric collar strapped to his neck. No fence anywhere in sight. Only shock treatments to keep him homebound SIGH
Anyway Paula is an ER nurse relayed an incident to me I feel is worth repeating. She had treated a patient at the hospital who had been having seizures and 2nd degree burns on his neck. He explained this was a result of a friend trying to persuade him that electric invisible fences are the best way to contain dogs. Not willing to accept the word of his buddy he decided that before he would torture his own dogs he would try it on himself to see how awful it might be. While I agree the voltage might not be felt as much through a fur covered neck, the seizures part of this story just scares the crap out of me.
In will be adjusting my contract to add a clause disallowing the use of electric training devices. Some of you other breeders may want to consider doing the same.
Eileen Durante
http://www.celestialmastiffs.com

Schwinn
December 14th, 2004, 01:10 AM
We bought a kennel for Daisy for less than $100 either at Home Depot, or Petsmart. Don't remember which. Instead of making it square, I used it as three walls and put it against the fence (the side of the house will work, too). That way, she had a run.

As for leashes, you could try nylon. My dad uses one of those adjustable leashes on an overhead clothes line for his husky. We did that with Daisy at my parents when we were visiting, though, and she pulled it right out of the cement wall (long story...)

meb999
December 14th, 2004, 01:33 AM
I guess if fencing in is impossible, the next best thing is a nylon leash...it shouldn't be too pricy and won't break when it freezes.

honeybee4
December 15th, 2004, 09:32 AM
I am so glad I stopped using the electric fence. Thank you for you story. I am going to pass it along to some co workers of mine as they uses these fences to keep their dogs in the yard. Even if Harley is supervised in the backyard loose he runs into the back woods or takes off next door. There is a big thing in fredericton about rotties, so I am very reluctant to not let him off his leash when we are out. There are so many people that are scared of him and I don't want to make my neighbors nervous by having him running loose in the back yard, even if we do supervise him. After christmas if we have extra money I may get some prices on a run or something for him. But money is very tight this year.

Thanks for your comments.

Lucky Rescue
December 15th, 2004, 11:21 AM
It broke last week because of the cold weather. The wire was exposed and the wire froze

I am very concerned that a short haired dog is being left outside in the cold long enough for anything to freeze.

You should keep him in the house, and leash walk him.

honeybee4
December 16th, 2004, 03:45 PM
I can guarantee you that he is not being left outside for long periods of time, especially in the winter. He goes out to pee and that is about it, except for walks. When I said that the leash froze, it is because we leave the leash outside, hooked to the deck all the time. I hate the cold so I would never ever do that to him. He also is more of an inside dog. He loves his walks, but he also loves to sleep on the couch and be inside with us in front of a nice warm fire. My dog is another child for us and we would never do anything to hurt him. I am sorry you got the wrong idea when I said that the leash froze, it was already frozen when we put him outside as soon as we walk to his pee spot it snapped.

mastifflover
December 16th, 2004, 04:01 PM
I have used a lunge lead for horses as a tie out at my friends cottage worked great and they are fabric so they wont crack in the cold not expensive and if a horse doesn't break it your dog wont be able to either.

TalonsMa
December 16th, 2004, 05:30 PM
IMO I wouldn't leave a dog outside tied up unattended, just in case. It only takes one time for somehting terrible to happen :(