Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Puppy w/swollen jaw glands

Lila
December 11th, 2004, 08:25 PM
Aloha All,
I have a 7 week old, as of today, male pup, heeler mix from a litter of six. Last Monday they all had first vax and have been wormed from week three to seven. They all weigh over 10 pounds and he is the only one with his nodules enlarged. We pointed this out to our vet. After doing all 6 and mom's checkups, she said not to worry.
In the past few days my husband and I noticed the glands were even bigger. I called the vet who gave us antibiotics. Just started on them yesterday. The little guy has no fever (101.2). He is frisky and alert and playful. He is eating his puppy lamb and rice and drinking water. He is not itching or scratching and we have found no fleas on mom or pups. After much thought, we remember that this pup had a pinkish growth/bump on his eyelid from week one. That is gone now but we think his chin area may have something similar. Kind of rough, little hair on chin when compared to litter mates. Any ideas or advice as to what might be going on would be much appreciated. WE are scratching our heads!
Mahalo

Karin
December 11th, 2004, 08:48 PM
Aloha All,
I have a 7 week old, as of today, male pup, heeler mix from a litter of six. Last Monday they all had first vax and have been wormed from week three to seven. They all weigh over 10 pounds and he is the only one with his nodules enlarged. We pointed this out to our vet. After doing all 6 and mom's checkups, she said not to worry.
In the past few days my husband and I noticed the glands were even bigger. I called the vet who gave us antibiotics. Just started on them yesterday. The little guy has no fever (101.2). He is frisky and alert and playful. He is eating his puppy lamb and rice and drinking water. He is not itching or scratching and we have found no fleas on mom or pups. After much thought, we remember that this pup had a pinkish growth/bump on his eyelid from week one. That is gone now but we think his chin area may have something similar. Kind of rough, little hair on chin when compared to litter mates. Any ideas or advice as to what might be going on would be much appreciated. WE are scratching our heads!
Mahalo

Have the vet check him again. On the net, most times a guess is all we can help you with. Have your vet check for "puppy strangles". Or he could be starting with demo ...have a skin scrap done. This could be as simple a puppy rash too...litter mates gnaw on each other & play rough, could be a secondary infection brewing..swollen lymph nodes are a sign "something" is going on....

Keep us posted please!

Lila
December 11th, 2004, 10:20 PM
Many thanks for your reply, Karin!

We will definately take him back to the vet, but no vet until Tuesday. I guess we could try getting in to see a new vet but it's not that easy here.

It's so nice to be able to reach out like this and have kindness and support.

We're keeping a close eye on all of them and takng temps 2X a day.

Lila
December 14th, 2004, 10:25 PM
Aloha,
Well, we got into see the vet yesterday. I am so grateful for the leads I got here because I did a search on the subject of "puppy strangles" and demo per Karin's note and printed out all I could to take with pup to vet. Our vet has never in her 35 years + of practice, seen a case. She was very open to reading the info and then agreed that it seemed the likely problem. She gave the Rx.

(Also known as Julvenile Pyroderma and Juvenile Cellulitis, (an auto immune disorder) the Rx recommended was cortisteroids in concert with antibiotics. The antibiotics alone did absolutely nothing as far as we could tell.)

One interesting article I read said that the leptospirosis vax has been linked to onset of this condition! All six puppies had this vax and only this little guy is showing symptoms. He had enlarged glands before and within a day of being vax, he looked like he had the mumps.

Well, after less than 24 hours on his Rx, the swelling has gone down remarkably. We will continue the course and I will give updates on his progress. Thanks so, so much for giving me some leads to research!! I actually think it is a blessing that I couldn't get to our vet right away because I found you all!! Without the input from Karin, I would never have done the research I did prior to getting in to see our vet!!! And as I mentioned, our vet did not know to look for this.

Sneaky2006
December 14th, 2004, 10:29 PM
WTG Karin! :thumbs up We need a clapper button!

Glad your pup is doing better Lila. :love:

Karin
December 14th, 2004, 10:46 PM
Seen a few cases in my time. It is alway's just one puppy out of the litter.

Puppers will do just fine, as long as extra tlc is added..which I am sure is not a problem!

Bugsy
December 15th, 2004, 12:49 AM
Karin :thumbs up

glasslass
December 15th, 2004, 01:01 AM
This is a great example of what this forum is all about! :thumbs up

raingirl
December 15th, 2004, 08:29 AM
Aloha Lila!

Glad to hear the pup is ok. I can understand finding a vet in hawaii must be hard.

Nice to see someone from Hawaii here though! My boyfriend had family who lived there up until this spring. His uncle was a pediatrician on Oahu. My BF's Grandmother lived there as well. However, his uncle died this spring of a stroke and his grandmother moved back to the philipines (which we plan to visit one day as well).

We went to visit them in Hawaii two years ago. BEST VACATION EVER!! I can't wait to go back. I think what made it really nice was the fact that we weren't like tourists. No hotel, real food, family, a car that wasn't a rental. We drove all over the island and went to so many beaches! I am now a plumeria addict (I have 8 plumeria plants, which people find odd considering I live in Canada!). No plumie blooms yet, because we had too cold summers, but lots of luscious leaves. I can't wait to smell some plumies again!!
(plumerias are the flowers that they make common hawaiian leis out of)

Sorry...a little off topic there for a sec.