Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Can you use cortizone cream on cats?

parker57
December 10th, 2004, 05:23 PM
My cat has an itchy butt. The vet says his poop sticks to him because he has long hair, and because of hair going through his system. I am treating him for hairballs, but the vet said "do what you can to control the itchiness" ( he itches his rear on the carpet ) I have cleaned him back there with warm water, but as this is a recurring thing, I was wondering if cortisone cream that you buy in the store would ease his itching?

badger
December 10th, 2004, 05:34 PM
Can you trim the hair around his bum and on the underside of his tail? His poo is probably the source of the irritation. Cortisone is pretty strong, should be used sparingly, also he might try to lick it off and I'm betting it is not recommended for 'internal use'. When you wash him, just use warm water as soap could be an irritant. If his stools are soft, they are more likely to get caught up, so you may also want to try a different kind of food to firm them up. Just off the top of my head...

dove
December 10th, 2004, 05:49 PM
I agree with keeping his butt shaved and washed with warm water.

if you find he has an irritation there you can also apply a Topagan Spray to the area which will keep it germ free and promote healing

parker57
December 10th, 2004, 06:05 PM
He is so fat, he CANT lick back there, so licking it off wont happen. I dont use soap when I bathe him either. Yes, the poo is a little soft ( not runny ). I currently use dry food, and have already tried changing it once before since this started...........woudl canned food be any better? ( yes I changed his food very gradually )

Lucky Rescue
December 10th, 2004, 06:30 PM
Is he constipated? He could also have an anal gland problem, and this needs to be checked by the vet.

He needs to lose weight definitely. I would put him on canned food. Give him regular meals and nothing in between. Being fat is bad - joint, heart, kidney,etc problems can result.

mona_b
December 10th, 2004, 06:30 PM
I have a DMH.And what I do with Casper is shave down around that area.The reason being,when it's long and he has his poop,it's still with him when he's done.Then he comes running out and does the "get this poop of me" dance...LOL

What brand are you feeding him?
I would be very careful with his weight.It's not healthy for him to be fat.

My cats are on both canned and dry.

Their dry is called Performatrin Ultra...It's a holistic brand.Has fruits and veggies.

parker57
December 10th, 2004, 06:34 PM
Yes he is on a diet. Has lost about 2 pounds. ( I had a teenager who thought it was cruel to EVER let his dish be empty. I finally got through to her that she was slowly killing her pet )

parker57
December 10th, 2004, 06:36 PM
Trust me, he is NOT constipated. lol. He goes at least 3 times a day. The vet is the one who told me it was the poo getting stuck there causing the irritation. He only "scoots" right after he comes out of the box, and wipes it all over, and then he is happy. :yuck:

badger
December 10th, 2004, 06:51 PM
yucky boy..i have a fat cat too...it's been eons since he's been able to lick himself. let me tell you diet food is a scam, full of corn. really good food in small quantities two or three times a day is better, no big bowls of crunchies lying around (difficult when you have another cat who doesn't need to diet). i haven't always done this, hence my resident porker...i wonder if only canned food (less concentrated) would accelerate weight gain. He gets quite a bit of exercise, fly-ball, etc. but it doesn't seem to make much difference. Big bones? :)

parker57
December 10th, 2004, 07:00 PM
Big boned? Do cats use that excuse too? lmao

CyberKitten
December 10th, 2004, 07:05 PM
Of course cats use that excuse. Don't you read Garfield? It is one of his fav bon mots! ;)

parker57
December 10th, 2004, 07:12 PM
I just saw luckys thread about switching him to canned food. Do I do this really gradually just like when changing dry brands?

Lucky Rescue
December 10th, 2004, 07:43 PM
You can give him canned and dry. The canned is just better for adult neutered males, and helps prevent urinary tract problems.

Canned also seems to satisfy cats more than dry and they don't beg for food as much.

Glad to hear he's already lost some weight! :)

parker57
December 10th, 2004, 07:48 PM
WEll...............he was 21.8 and now he is 19 lol. not a lot of improvement. Now, how do I decide how much to give him, since most cat foods dont even go that high when listing weights!

mona_b
December 10th, 2004, 07:56 PM
I give my cats about a teaspoon of the canned 2 to 3 times a day.Depends on the shifts we are on.But I leave a bowl of dry for them.The dry lasts over a day.They are not fat.And very healthy. :)