Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Ferrets

sujean
December 9th, 2004, 02:27 PM
so my husband still would like to add a ferret to our clan. we have been told that a ferret with 4 cats would be bad news. also, is there a way to not make them smell? i know that getting them spayed/neutered will decrease the smell but...

i need some insight into getting a ferret, the pros, cons, getting along with other household pets etc.

thanks!

Sneaky2006
December 9th, 2004, 02:33 PM
We looked into getting a ferret years ago, we were told that you can have some sort of glands removed so they don't smell?? But even then, they'll still be stinky... I don't know how correct this info is, but it's what I was told, from a pet store no less.

They're illegal here anyway, so we won't be getting one, with or without the smell. :)

dove
December 9th, 2004, 02:34 PM
HI Sujean,

Ferrets are wonderful companions and lots of fun. However putting them with cats is not a good idea. The cats will try and kill them! Only if you kept them seperate would it work out.

All ferrets come spayed or neutered as it is illegal to breed ferrets. If you find a ferret that you like, check behind the ear/s. If you find a small blue dot it means that this ferret is already sterilized.

The smell goes along with the ferret, but if you keep their enviroment clean it will reduce the smell. Bathing also helps but it can not be done to frequently.

Lucky Rescue
December 9th, 2004, 07:12 PM
My niece has had a ferret for the last 3 yrs and she is a sweet and charming pet - gentle and affectionate and even litter trained!

She has a very strong odour that people either love or hate. It is very musky and nothing can be done about it.

They are very intelligent and active and need lots of stimulation and out of cage time.

Although ferrets are also predators, cats who are unfamiliar with them may certainly see them as prey and I would never allow them together unsupervised.