Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Ideas needed

Iggette
December 9th, 2004, 08:29 AM
I was wondering if you guys could help me out with some baby shower ideas. I was looking for something a little different, tired of the ol' sit around and make a hat of bows or bra etc.....(daughter will get the bra version).

Does anyone have any ideas for anything to do with a shower?......something someone else did that you liked or thought was nice or fun? How they decorated etc....

Any ideas would be great :thumbs up

chico2
December 9th, 2004, 08:34 AM
Sorry Iggette,can't help you..but I know I've been to one booooring baby-shower after another,something uniqe and different I am sure will be appreciated :thumbs up

TobsterMom
December 9th, 2004, 08:41 AM
The best baby shower I ever attended was my cousin's (who had twins :) :) )

It was great, all the guys came, and we played a fun game, with guy/girl teams, where you each had to put one hand behind your back and diaper a doll. The fastest team won. We had a really fun time with that. We also had to play a game where we had both Mom and Dad's first name and use the letters to make up as many baby names as we could. There were prizes for most unique, funniest, and creative.

kimbilly
December 9th, 2004, 08:44 AM
Hi there

I once created a diaper cake type thing. You cut out 3 large pieces of think card in cirlces that are decreasing in size. You wrap the card in 3 different receiveing blankets. On the biggest circle you stack larger diapers side by side across the card. The next layer the diapers are smaller and so on. By the time you are done it should look like a 3 tier diaper cake.

Does that make sense? You can use one size of diapers or a variety for the babies first 6 months.

Hope this helps.

Excuse the spelling too, got puppy sleeping on my hand :)

lil_kirk
December 9th, 2004, 09:52 AM
I agree that inviting the men/boys is a great idea. Shower's with just women are fine...but when you add the men and have them complete baby tasks the laughter that can be created is priceless!

Here are some links that offer ideas:

http://www.babyshowerscentral.com/games.shtml
http://www.babiesonline.com/pregnancy/articles/funanduniquebabyshowerfavors.asp
http://www.cuddlebugbaby.com/html/baby_shower_ideas.html
http://www.simplybabystuff.com/
http://www.babyzone.com/parenting/mom2mom/default.asp?CatID=13

Princesss04
December 9th, 2004, 09:53 AM
Okay we just did my friends and I am trying to remeber all the things we did. There was one game where we had the mom to be stand in the middle of the cirlce. We gave everyone a roll of toliet paper they had to tear off how much they thought it would take to go around her belly. Than after everyone has got theirs tore off they take turns and go up and try wrapping it around her. The one that is the closet wins a prize.

Than we had another one where you gave ever one a safety pin (clothes pin) and they had to wear it. Than anytime someone said the word baby, mommy, daddy, (you can pick your words) than someone could take their clothes pin. So everyone was listening the whole night trying to catch the person so they could take their pin. So the person with the most pins wins a prize.

Than we took all kinds of baby bottles (same sizes) and filled them with jucie. (All the way to the top, just make sure they are all even) and give one to all the adults there and when you say go they all have to drink them as fast as they can. You would be surprised how many people could not drink them that fast. Than you all understand what the baby has to go through to suck all that out of the bottle.

Than we had another one were I bought 15 differant kinds of baby food (good and NASTY kinds) I tore off all the labels and keep them for my refference. I wrote a number on the jar and than on the back of the label for me. So all they saw was a jar with food in it with a number on it. Than I gave them all a spoon and made them sit in a cirlce. I started passing the first jar around the room. They would use their own spoon and take a little bite. When they ate it they would write it down on their piece of paper (so they had to try to guess what it was) there was no talking or helping. When all the baby food had been passed around, tasted, and looked at. You read off the answers and the person with the most wins a prize.

I will think of the rest of them and than write you and let you know. I know we played three more but I can not remeber them for the life of me. That is awful when I threw it LOL. I will call my friend and see if she remembers and let you know. I hope these have given you a few ideas. If you have any questions let me know and I will help you as much as I can.

lil_kirk
December 9th, 2004, 09:58 AM
Another idea:

You'd have to go to a bake store or michaels to find out what to use for this, but if you do it, it can be really fun and interesting.

What you do is bake cookies--whatever kind you want--and insert in each cookie a small piece of paper (wrapped in something you buy at a bake shop or michaels craft store to protect it from the heat in the oven and to avoid a fire). Each piece of paper has a question on it that the person eating that cookie must answer.

For example you could insert the following questions and get ppl to volunteer popcorn style to respond to their questions:

Discuss what makes your hubby/wife a bigger baby than you :)
Do your best baby talk to the person next to you
Diaper a doll with one hand
Sing your favourite lullaby
etc.

glasslass
December 9th, 2004, 01:11 PM
I made a 14" round cake for a baby shower at work. Very simple decorating! Just divided it into 8 sections with simple borders (like a pie chart) and put a spin-arrow (made from stiff cardboard & attached to a wooden dowel with a small nail that allowed it to spin) right in the center. Visualize a spin-the-wheel cake (wheel of fortune?) with some sections marked "girl", "boy", "puppy", "kitten, or "twins"!

On the invitation, we asked guests to bring a gift that began with the first letter of their name and not mark who the gift was from. Example: Dodie (me) gave "D"oggie booties and a box of "D"iapers. Besides co-workers, there were many of her relatives and friends present. Everybody was asking each other's names and guessing who brought what. Really got people talking to each other and opening gifts became quite an entertainment in itself.

sammiec
December 9th, 2004, 01:23 PM
We played the one baby food game that Princess said... another one that we played was really funny!!!

Take a newborn diaper and melt different chocolate bars in each one... then everyone has to guess what diaper has what chocolate inside. It looks so real, very gross... but a lot of fun!!!

lilith_rizel
December 9th, 2004, 01:49 PM
What is the theme for the nursery? Ours is Dr. Suess, and at my shower last weekend, my friends decorated their house with all Dr. Suess things. We did the same with our friend who was doing a carebear theme. It was really cute.

lilith_rizel
December 9th, 2004, 01:57 PM
[QUOTE=lil_kirk]I agree that inviting the men/boys is a great idea.
QUOTE]

Plus I think that being that it is the husband / SO's baby as well, they should participate. After all, if it wasn't for them, there wouldn't be a baby. And it would be aqward for the father to be with just a bunch of women. We always have husband/wife baby showers here.

Sneaky2006
December 9th, 2004, 02:25 PM
I don't really have that many shower ideas but for my sister's I was in charge of the favors. I may have even gotten the idea from one of the sites that are already listed. You take a small piece of white fabric and a tiny pin, fold the fabric into little triangles and make it a diaper, then pin it... inside you put the mints. They are called poopermints! They were a hit and everyone couldn't stop talking about them.
We did the TP around the belly, but the mommy didn't like it too much... the new mommy always thinks they're fat so I wouldn't suggest that one anymore.

Princesss04
December 9th, 2004, 02:37 PM
We did the TP around the belly, but the mommy didn't like it too much... the new mommy always thinks they're fat so I wouldn't suggest that one anymore.[/QUOTE]

I like the poopermint idea I will have to use that one on the next shower I host. It sound so neat.

As far as the tp thing we did it and she was fine, thought it was funny. I think it depends on who the mother is and her attitude. Some people love the belly and think it is wonderful and than others do not like the idea at all. I think I will love it because that is one time you are ALLOWED to be fat and no one can judge you because you are prego. LOL Think it will be fun. Just sitting here wishing someone would drop some prego luck on me. LOL :D That is fine we are waiting out turn.

Sneaky2006
December 9th, 2004, 02:40 PM
I found a pic of them... some site selling them. I used white diapers though... and I put Andies in them.

crazyhorse
December 10th, 2004, 03:53 PM
I really like traditional umbrella for above the mommy and daddy in waiting's chairs with all diffrent coloured rain drops all around. On the rain drops were boys and girls names and the meaning of the names. It was good conversation, especially the "family names". It was a "Jack and Jill" shower and we had tables set up to play crib,and a few extra decks of cards to play what ever else. For the kids and kids at heart we played pin the dipper on the baby rather than pin the tail on the donkey. We also had baby pictures set up of the mommy and daddy in waiting at the receiving table. As thank you gifts we had small picture frames and the baby picture was sent out with the thank you cards. And for any one who is stuck for a gift I have started getting gift certificats for wal-mart photo studio.

Iggette
December 14th, 2004, 01:18 AM
:eek: Wow these are amazing ideas......thanks everyone :thumbs up

There are so many good ideas here to go through at first the men were not invited but I rather like the idea too.....A few of the guys even said they would come ....or they had too many cocktails when I asked.....lol but we shall see.
Thanks again for all your input :love:

lilith_rizel
December 14th, 2004, 12:26 PM
Good luck Iggette,
And I am sure the guys would come, if they knew how important it was to the mother-to-be. I mean, our oldest male friend is 23 and he went to his wife's shower, and would have came to mine, if he wasn't at a marriage retreat. The guys actually feel left out when they aren't part of the planning of the showers. I know our friend Ralph did all the decorating at Andrea's baby shower, back in June. And James picked out what we bought as her gift. So as much as men don't really want to admit it, I think that they really want to be part of the celebration.