Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

My puppy doesn't like being left alone

Puppy Pie
December 8th, 2004, 03:52 PM
Hi - I have a new puppy (almost 10 weeks old), and he doesn't like being left alone. Both my boyfriend and I work all day, but we've arranged for him to be let out once during the morning, and then a dog walker comes over in the afternoon. However, in between visits he cries and howls when he's left alone. We've had him for 3 weeks now, and it's still continuing. We've done crate training...we say "Oliver Crate" and he runs in and sits until we give him a treat. But as soon as we close the door, he howls. My vet said to wait until he's quite for a couple of seconds then let him out so he learns that he's released only when quiet. The problem is that he can't seem to get past a few seconds without howling. We've also tried keeping him in the kitchen, but the same occurs. I know this can take a while, but we have to go to work and can't be with him 24/7. He's sleeping in his crate at night, and does whine to go in when he's tired. But if he's awake, he has no interest in being there. Another issue is that he does have to go out to be a good boy once during the night which is fine, but once he's done his business he wants to play for a while as opposed to going into his crate and back to sleep. If I put him in his crate and shut the door before he's asleep he cries. I'm wondering if anyone else has had this problem and if so, what does one do. I should note that his crate is in our bedroom - should we be moving it into the living room?
Thanks
PS. The crate did work for house training - he's going outside about 90% of the time (and telling us when he has to go too!)

Schwinn
December 8th, 2004, 04:29 PM
We had a pup that we put a travel clock in a blanket in with him, it has something to do with simulating his mom's heart or something like that. It was my parents who did that with both of thier dogs. We didn't have a problem with Daisy, so we didn't do that. One thing I recommend if you try it...turn off the alarm! Poor Taz was freaked right out when his "mom" started ringing!

You might want to put the crate in a different room. When Daisy was a pup, and we put her in her crate for the night, if she started whining really bad, I'd get up and let her out for a few minutes, and when she was calm put her back in. Then she'd often lie down and go to sleep. I'm wondering if it is because your pup knows you are right there.

heidiho
December 8th, 2004, 05:30 PM
Now i thought if u did that wouldnt that teach them that if they cry theywill get there way???? Just wondering....Therefore keep doing it??

mona_b
December 8th, 2004, 07:06 PM
I agree about the clock.Just make sure you don't set the alarm.. :D ...I never crated my dogs when they were pups.I had the kitchen blocked off.What I also did was left the radio on when we were not home.

Also,do you have any of his toys in there to keep him occupied?Like a Kong?

laviniaoana
May 23rd, 2011, 09:31 PM
Hi!

Just wondering how this issue got solved for you? We are having the exact same problem right now and we were wondering how you fixed it???

Thanks!!!

pbpatti
May 23rd, 2011, 09:40 PM
This thread is over 5 years old, perhaps you can start a new thread with information about your puppy and we will be able to respond to your questions..

Welcome to pets.ca, we also are very particular and require pictures...lots and lots of them.:thumbs up:D patti